Help finding kaweco dia model , production year and hopefully missing blind cap shape

gwid

Hi, 

I got this small kaweco dia piston fountain pen with the blind cap missing.

the pen works and the piston still fills up the barrel up to the middle.

unfortunately, i think the cap had the model number on it.

please, help me  finding out the exact model and production year so i can look for a cap replacement if possible.

This is what I know:

Kaweco Dia 

14k gold nib

136 mm posted

113 mm capped (from the top to the end of the knob)  

This is what I think , as i couldn't find this exact nib, color , clip and cap finial combination

model 83 maybe? 

year: after 1930

I couldn't find too much information and there seems to exists similar kaweco dia 83 pens but with with small variations

here are some pictures 

Thanks in advance!

20210619_210818.thumb.jpg.e59dbb15d3a59af9f3d3552298868d5f.jpg20210619_211015.thumb.jpg.5327b2d2e0b7acd42fc13bf7d3ccbb3a.jpg20210619_211240.thumb.jpg.91f8c0c709b9b2ae917a858531da2103.jpg20210619_211343.thumb.jpg.61c265dbd5ceaf40f2cde73efa3072b1.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gwid

• Parcival

• Karmachanic

• OMASsimo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my Dia 87A (149mm posted) the model number and nib size are inline with the barrel engraving at the tip of the barrel, just before the blind cap.

large.1174052494_Kaweco87AHerren.jpg.c76b9159cc5ee09f376ec2644a723c04.jpg

Add lightness and simplicate.

Hi, Thanks for responding!

On this particular dia, there is nothing there. that's why I thought it was on the blind cap. 

Comparing to other kaweco dia pictures I found on the net , mine has a larger cap screw , different nib and clip engraving and the barrel has the kaweco post 1930 logo engraved on the barrel between ¨kaweco¨ and ¨dia¨.

Also , I couldn't find this color on the dia model (most are all black, except the 125 model that has metallic gold plated blind cap and cap screw). 

Maybe I have an older or late model? Maybe it's not a 83?

I am curious and I like to find a blind cap as close as possible to the original.

The color is right, and its pretty close (different nib and clip), so maybe its a pen from the 1930s, but i am sure its a dia (its engraved on the barrel as shown on last picture)

Anyways, the blind cap should be something like that, thanks!

I am still curious about the exact dia model and year if anyone can help.

Also , its possible that the screw cap is brown or its discolored black? black parts on the barrel seems fine...

Thanks in advance! 

And the piston filler of your pen does not appear to be original, but has been replaced. It should look like this:

649ntzn.jpeg

2 hours ago, Parcival said:

And the piston filler of your pen does not appear to be original, but has been replaced. It should look like this:

Thank you Parcival! a replaced piston filler would explain a lot!

I will try find a blind cap as close as the original that fits on that knob and I will use the pen as it is after adjusting the nib a little bit.

So, Dia and Diaphan is the same model for different markets?  that's good to know!

Diaphan is the name of the DIa model for the Spanish market. It is best if you can dismantle this piston and replace it with an original one, but it is not clear if it is not glued and if the thread is preserved. In any case, in order to use the pen, it must be disassembled and a new cork placed on the plunger.

5 hours ago, Parcival said:

Diaphan is the name of the DIa model for the Spanish market. It is best if you can dismantle this piston and replace it with an original one, but it is not clear if it is not glued and if the thread is preserved. In any case, in order to use the pen, it must be disassembled and a new cork placed on the plunger.

Is this a rare pen? I really don't think I can easily find a original piston filler here in Argentina.

Also, the celluloid is old, possible brittle and maybe, as you said, glued to the filler

The piston works (at least it fills up the pen up to the middle of the ink window) and the pen also works.

I think I will  try to adjust the nib , find a replacement blind cap that fits and use it as it is.

I would be a frankenpen but the writing experience should be pretty close to the original (this nib is amazing)

what do you think?

Sorry that I’m a bit late to answer. Your pen quite apparently is an early pre-war Dia model produced between 1934 and approximately 1938. Indicative is the tall cap screw and the celluloid material. It’s quite a rare pen and thus you won’t find much information. I don’t see any indication why the piston housing shouldn’t be original. Later models had the model number and the nib type code embossed in the piston housing ring. Maybe, the early models didn’t. The Dia came in three sizes with corresponding model numbers 83, 85, and 87. The lady size 83 would fit your description. The pens shown by @Karmachanic and @Parcival are models introduced around 1954. Unfortunately, there is little to none information about the model development of the period in between.

If the piston ring still works more or less, you might get away for awhile with it. But sooner or later you will have to replace it. If you keep the cork wet all the time, you might prolong its life a little longer. But one of the problems, besides failing to fill or overly wet writing, is that ink might get behind the cork and into the piston spindle where it dries and accumulates. If that happens, the piston will fail to move eventually. So, it might be better to replace the cork seal in time. Usually, the piston housing unscrews reasonably easily after applying dry heat. But with pens this old, there is always a significant risk that the barrel may break. It’s kind of a catch 22 what to do.

Finally, the blind cap most likely was made out of black hard rubber like the cap screw. In general, I’d think it’s as likely as winning the lottery to find an original replacement part. But FPN is an amazing place and you never know what members find in their drawers. Penboard.de might be another place to search. I also think that chances are good that a later model 83 blind cap would fit your pen. But 83s and 87s are much harder to find than 85s. So, you might have to be quite patient and hunt. Alternatively, a professional pen restorer like @fountainbel might be able to make a fitting blind cap. Or you find a good craftsman in Argentina to make one.

Anyway, congratulations ans enjoy this awesome pen.

4 hours ago, OMASsimo said:

Sorry that I’m a bit late to answer. Your pen quite apparently is an early pre-war Dia model produced between 1934 and approximately 1938. Indicative is the tall cap screw and the celluloid material. It’s quite a rare pen and thus you won’t find much information. I don’t see any indication why the piston housing shouldn’t be original. Later models had the model number and the nib type code embossed in the piston housing ring. Maybe, the early models didn’t. The Dia came in three sizes with corresponding model numbers 83, 85, and 87. The lady size 83 would fit your description. The pens shown by @Karmachanic and @Parcival are models introduced around 1954. Unfortunately, there is little to none information about the model development of the period in between.

If the piston ring still works more or less, you might get away for awhile with it. But sooner or later you will have to replace it. If you keep the cork wet all the time, you might prolong its life a little longer. But one of the problems, besides failing to fill or overly wet writing, is that ink might get behind the cork and into the piston spindle where it dries and accumulates. If that happens, the piston will fail to move eventually. So, it might be better to replace the cork seal in time. Usually, the piston housing unscrews reasonably easily after applying dry heat. But with pens this old, there is always a significant risk that the barrel may break. It’s kind of a catch 22 what to do.

Finally, the blind cap most likely was made out of black hard rubber like the cap screw. In general, I’d think it’s as likely as winning the lottery to find an original replacement part. But FPN is an amazing place and you never know what members find in their drawers. Penboard.de might be another place to search. I also think that chances are good that a later model 83 blind cap would fit your pen. But 83s and 87s are much harder to find than 85s. So, you might have to be quite patient and hunt. Alternatively, a professional pen restorer like @fountainbel might be able to make a fitting blind cap. Or you find a good craftsman in Argentina to make one.

Anyway, congratulations ans enjoy this awesome pen.

Thank you! with that info i was able to get a picture of the blind cap from a 1936 dia 83 , same color.

cap.thumb.jpg.d5247af28668df9e893a3d0a8f501a72.jpg

83.jpg.6f7641c074ab620ad8d79961a5d1f2b1.jpg

I will try to get something that fits and hunt an original part if possible.

It looks that the blind cap didn't change much during the years and  that it was even used on other models , maybe I'll get lucky.

Today I was able clean and adjust the feed and nib and I am really enjoying the pen. it's a wonderful writer and it has a flexy nib

Thanks again! 

26 minutes ago, gwid said:

83.jpg.6f7641c074ab620ad8d79961a5d1f2b1.jpg

I can hear that Nr 90 calling me.

Add lightness and simplicate.

<

Today I was able clean and adjust the feed and nib and I am really enjoying the pen. it's a wonderful writer and it has a flexy nib>

Yes, you are so right: 1930s nibs from Kaweco are wonderful writers (I have a mint Dia 85 with fine nib -- glorious!)

Re the missing blind cap: I bet there is someone out there who could <make> you a replacement...