Questions about nib on a MB 344

DrWabbit

I recently took the plunge and bought my first vintage MB - a late 1950s 344 in mahogany red / burgundy.

I have two questions relating to the nib, which I hope more experienced members on here can please help shed light on.

1) The piston turning knob is imprinted B (i.e. broad) and a funny symbol, as shown in the attached picture. I have come across other posts on here discussing these kinds of symbols, but I have not come across any concrete answers. Is it perhaps a flex or semi-flex symbol? I don't have anything to compare this nib to flex wise, though it definitely does have at least moderate flex when pushed (I have been quite cautious not to push it too much). Does anybody know what the symbol means?

2) I also attach a writing sample picture and some close-ups of the nib. I have tried to put moderate pressure on the downstrokes, and this definitely produces some degree of line variation. This takes getting accustomed to (I am used to a hard, modern nib). Another thing is that placing the nib horizontally (for lack of a better term) to the paper, produces a degree of scratchiness. However, rotating the nib slightly to the left, produces an effortless broad line and a completely smooth writing experience. Again, the slight rotation is a minor adjustment that I am becoming accustomed to with this pen. So, given that the nib writes this way when rotated slightly to the left, my question is whether this is an oblique nib? If its possible to tell from the close-ups, I would really appreciate feedback on this so that I can understand how best to use this nib.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7237.thumb.JPG.be1578a66c56519016f817583fc55a85.JPG

IMG_7224.thumb.JPG.2f36e6fb51ed674f80f6ffc81014e618.JPG

IMG_7221.thumb.JPG.4445191537ac8d5703612dcb5001367b.JPG

IMG_7213.thumb.JPG.d68419b97f9b13a086c8f3472e094f32.JPG

IMG_7207.thumb.JPG.b8381a0112a73990e4faa7471e82a26b.JPG

IMG_7212.thumb.JPG.34d80f6955a4ef645505dd763b921a86.JPG

IMG_7209.thumb.JPG.f36f96da6436b0a6866865bb2bcf3c77.JPG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maclink

• DrWabbit

• Rroberrt

• FredRydr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like an Oblique Broad nib which fits your description of how it performs when you write.  The OB is optimised for those who naturally rotate their pen a bit counterclockwise when writing so that the nib is tilted to the left and backwards, rather than purely backwards.

With modern nib grinds, it doesn't matter much how you tilt or rotate your pen.  The grind is such that the pen will write just fine.  However, the drawback is that the nib grind doesn't naturally produce line variation and character to your writing.  With the more interesting grinds, you do have to hold the pen properly to optimise contact of the nib tip with the paper.  Enter the oblique grinds that make more comfortable and therefore, more natural, the writing experience for those who tend to rotate while tilting their pens to write.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:39 PM, maclink said:

It looks like an Oblique Broad nib which fits your description of how it performs when you write.  The OB is optimised for those who naturally rotate their pen a bit counterclockwise when writing so that the nib is tilted to the left and backwards, rather than purely backwards.

With modern nib grinds,………  Enter the oblique grinds that make more comfortable and therefore, more natural, the writing experience for those who tend to rotate while tilting their pens to write.

By good luck, - just the answer I was looking for, (altho’ for a different question).  Thank you Maclink.

I was looking for confirmation that it is not unusual for a right-hander to prefer a slight left-oblique.  The commentary that I’ve read so far has reserved that grind for left-handers.

My very first, ham-handed grind unintentionally slanted to the left and subsequent (straight) grinds didn’t work well for me - until I copied the first one, which has since worked out well.

But there was still that doubt in my mind that I was going against common understanding, and was missing something.

I trust Maclinks reasoning and that’s enough relief for me.  The geometry causing  preference, however, is interesting.  And I’m wondering if FPN has further comments?

On 6/19/2021 at 4:11 PM, DrWabbit said:

IMG_7221.thumb.JPG.4445191537ac8d5703612dcb5001367b.JPG

Great nib! Could be oblique, but looks like a standard B, to me?

Much underrated pens, imho. I used a 344 as my daily writer, for a long time.

Reliable, a good size in the hand and holds a bathful of ink.

What's not to like?

Nice colour, too.

Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Rroberrt said:

By good luck, - just the answer I was looking for, (altho’ for a different question).  Thank you Maclink.

I was looking for confirmation that it is not unusual for a right-hander to prefer a slight left-oblique.  The commentary that I’ve read so far has reserved that grind for left-handers.

My very first, ham-handed grind unintentionally slanted to the left and subsequent (straight) grinds didn’t work well for me - until I copied the first one, which has since worked out well.

But there was still that doubt in my mind that I was going against common understanding, and was missing something.

I trust Maclinks reasoning and that’s enough relief for me.  The geometry causing  preference, however, is interesting.  And I’m wondering if FPN has further comments?

Oblique nibs may be slanted upwards from left to right - Left oblique (your nib an example) or slanted upwards from right to left.

The left oblique is for right handers who naturally rotate their pen a bit counterclockwise.  Here's a good article:

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/nibs/basics.htm

On 6/19/2021 at 6:39 PM, maclink said:

With modern nib grinds, it doesn't matter much how you tilt or rotate your pen.  The grind is such that the pen will write just fine.  However, the drawback is that the nib grind doesn't naturally produce line variation and character to your writing.

Thanks for the explanation. The vintage nibs certainly seem to be very different from their modern counterparts in their performance. I really do like the line variation and character that this brings to the writing; it makes it more personalised.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, CS388 said:

Great nib! Could be oblique, but looks like a standard B, to me?

Much underrated pens, imho. I used a 344 as my daily writer, for a long time.

Reliable, a good size in the hand and holds a bathful of ink.

What's not to like?

Nice colour, too.

Thanks. On the one hand, it almost looks like its not oblique with the angle being very slight. I also wonder why the imprint is not OB. But, on the other hand, it definitely has a sweet spot when its rotated to the left.

I'm enjoying the pen a lot. The clear ink window is really useful too. It is amazingly robust for a 60+ year old, third-tier pen.