Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Boston Safety Pen #15

Redleg05

I found this today. I can’t find much of information on these. I have one other BSP but you unlock a small hump and compress the sac with it.

This is an eye dropper. The clip is marked “Roller Clip” spelled vertically. I saw another photo of one with that spelled horizontally.

Patents on the clip (‘14) barrel, and cap (both ‘04) that seem to line up. “15” imprinted on the barrel end. Good chasing. “Boston Safety” is a bit light but the rest of the imprint is strong.

Without knowing how long it took Wahl to switch everything over, is thinking “1914-1920ish” accurate? 

D4C10CC0-2981-4E20-B002-6E60E5ECB5CF.thumb.jpeg.eee493d8d979e6dc5ef62217dba06eac.jpeg

B5FB7144-B5F4-4E5D-8557-A7EEE1248444.jpeg

A9870110-F6DA-4528-BBAA-62C35F6D2B45.jpeg

2BB9F280-B57C-43DB-8851-B53475E6C38E.jpeg

8FA34439-5008-4180-9D4A-7908355BF542.jpeg

82E833A3-39D1-4B9B-8402-C32AC94203C5.jpeg

6B073A42-5C98-4385-953B-3002867B8BF1.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redleg05

• Roger W.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Redleg05

Of course, after posting this I found a thread on a Boston Safety Fountain Pen ad that is full of info. 😕

Roger W.

With the clip this makes it later as you can see the clip is marked 1914.  Boston sold to Wahl in 1917 and Wahl by November of 1917 was putting out pens as Wahl Tempoints.  So yours is 1914-1917.  The 16 is the only larger pen in the dropper style and I know of only one of those.  You have a hump filler - very nice these are all uncommon.

Roger W.

Redleg05
1 hour ago, Roger W. said:

You have a hump filler - very nice these are all uncommon.

Yes, a 43s. 

C08C214C-32D4-4555-A133-D400DFC47FDE.jpeg

0E01B4C1-62BB-4E7E-B1DB-8B7C82DA4D69.jpeg

Redleg05
2 hours ago, Roger W. said:

With the clip this makes it later as you can see the clip is marked 1914.  Boston sold to Wahl in 1917 and Wahl by November of 1917 was putting out pens as Wahl Tempoints.  So yours is 1914-1917.  The 16 is the only larger pen in the dropper style and I know of only one of those. 

Thanks for the info! I found your resurrected "Boston ad" thread literally within minutes of posting this. That was fascinating as well. It sounds like there are things that we'll never know.

Is there still an active Boston database? If it still exists I'd like to see it even just to learn what different Boston models there are.

Roger W.

Well the database is really not that active as I took over much of one of the other contributors collections and my collection had grown to a point that I have almost enough examples just in it.  That said there are about 150 more pens than what I possess which rounds out what there is to know as it is not what I would call an actively collected pen since there are too few examples extant.  Still I'd guess over a thousand made for each example that we do have.  If you want the database then PM me your email and I'd be glad to send along the list.

Roger W. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. jar
      jar
    5. wimg
      wimg
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• halffriedchicken
      Not sure if this has been suggested already but would a setting for localized regions or chapters in FPN be helpful? I don't know if there is a way to find local FPN members who would be nearby. I don't know if we want to be discoverable but a setting to know how many members are in 25, 50, or a 100 miles of each other might be helpful. We can create a regions specific network like Craigslist where people could use that to connect with nearby members, conduct in person sales, arrange FPN meetups
    • Daneaxe
      Hi again all, I forgot to tell y'all that I made the post about Sweden ink PIF. Most have probably found it long ago, but here's a link, anyway:      
    • Ayami_109
      I read your blog post and all the replies with much interest. I'm a FP user in Australia. Been part of this forum for years but rarely post. I did come across your ink sharing thread and considered participation. For me it's not lack of interest but lack of time to play around with FP and inks. I'd feel bad to put my hand up for the box and just have it sit until gosh knows when...   I also think that the FP community in Australia is smaller, and I wonder how many in the community are
    • A Smug Dill
      Even so, you'd end up with a fragmented list, and it becomes an O(N²) process for each prospective requestor to check what is available: effectively recreate the list of currently active servers (without any reliable up-to-date info upfront about the inks and number of samples on offer in the thread) from the sequential list of posts, which may be spread over two or even more pages, and then query each server independently to check what is currently on offer.   It comes down to not hav
    • LizEF
      If one wanted to do this, one could just use the "About Me" field which appears to be unlimited in size.  And if a bunch of people wanted to cooperate, the Member Title field (or signature) could be used to this end - "Ink Giver" (or some such) could be used by those with inks to give...  No software edits required.
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Expiring Soon

• By benbot517
      51 years and 6 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 6 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 6 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 6 months