Help Identifying Wearever Nib

Jaranath

I appreciate the help with my last mystery pen, so let's try another one.  This is a Wearever I found at the same shop.  I gather Wearevers are pretty common and there may not be enough knowledge to identify the pen's model...but I'm mostly curious about the nib anyway.

I know breather holes can vary mostly for decorative purposes, but what is going on with those curved sideways slits?  Is it more decoration?  An attempt at introducing flex?  I haven't gotten it ready to write yet so can't comment on how it feels.  I tried looking for another example of a Wearever nib with that look and couldn't find one.  The nib is stamped "Iridium Tipped U.S.A."

Any info or ideas would be welcome...thanks!

20210612_120420.jpg

20210612_120605.jpg

20210612_120543.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jaranath

• Bo Bo Olson

• Bristol24

• Colin Salter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 3 Wearevers of essentially the same model.  One is a button filler as appears to be yours.  The other two are lever fill but all three have the same section and two have the same stamp as yours but none have the relief cuts at the hole.  In as much as Wearever sold more third tier pens than anyone else, I believe it safe to conjecture that your nib was a factory upgrade to offer a level of flex/spring to what would otherwise be pretty much a nail.  Now I feel compelled to find one like yours.  The 1930s-40s Wearevers are decent inexpensive pens.  They may have been cheap but they are still here and are easily put back into service.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

Thanks for the input!  I've been stuck traveling for work but I finally got a chance to test out the nib.  Overall it feels pretty firm but I was able to get decent line variation from it so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the intention was to help it flex.

My two Wearevers, one a '30's (the long cameo-mechanical pencil has a fountain pen in the and the other the turquoise one is  '70's spread the tines only 2X a light down stroke but had much more tine bend than I'd expect from a semi-nail.

In the picture was second tier three pre WW2 and three post war, and a few parts.

Those I gave away, to someone with an interest in them or to sell them if he wished.

I don't remember much about those nibs, but would have rated the nibs as the others mentioned and a few regular flex.

The normal regular issue of my youth...I admit to having more Wearevers  than the one Esterbrook (the 1960 ugly one with the metal cap...just missed the nice ones.) and one Venus....each year it was stolen. There were pen collector's even then and jotters were well collected also. :(

rfUcYs9.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 7 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:53 PM, Bristol24 said:

I have 3 Wearevers of essentially the same model.  One is a button filler as appears to be yours.  The other two are lever fill but all three have the same section and two have the same stamp as yours but none have the relief cuts at the hole.  In as much as Wearever sold more third tier pens than anyone else, I believe it safe to conjecture that your nib was a factory upgrade to offer a level of flex/spring to what would otherwise be pretty much a nail.  Now I feel compelled to find one like yours.  The 1930s-40s Wearevers are decent inexpensive pens.  They may have been cheap but they are still here and are easily put back into service.

Cliff

This looks very much like a Wearever Pacemaker. I have rather more of them than I care to admit, but the two with that nib also have a metal fill button - Pacemakers usually have a red plastic fill button. So I'd say that Bristol24's notion of a factory upgrade is a good one.