Leaking?

pawnraider

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here it is. 

I'm currently using the Souveran M800 with a medium nib and for the past couple of days when I go to use it in the morning I notice that there's ink on the barrel and in the cap when I uncap it despite the fact that I leave it in the upright position for the night. I don't think that there's a leak in the barrel. Any help?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pawnraider

• PAKMAN

• hari317

• Dione

15 minutes ago, pawnraider said:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here it is. 

I'm currently using the Souveran M800 with a medium nib and for the past couple of days when I go to use it in the morning I notice that there's ink on the barrel and in the cap when I uncap it despite the fact that I leave it in the upright position for the night. I don't think that there's a leak in the barrel. Any help?

First check for dried ink in the cap that might transfer to section and barrel.
Next, Check the barrel to section interface thoroughly for any cracks. This joint is fused together at the factory but is known to fail sometimes. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

If you're certain there is no leak from the barrel and no hairlines at all then either the cap has loads of ink in there that needs to be cleaned out or when you remove the cap some ink is being sucked out of the section. Maybe the first thing to do is to empty the pen and give it a very good clean out and flush.

24 minutes ago, hari317 said:

First check for dried ink in the cap that might transfer to section and barrel.
Next, Check the barrel to section interface thoroughly for any cracks. This joint is fused together at the factory but is known to fail sometimes. 

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, Dione said:

If you're certain there is no leak from the barrel and no hairlines at all then either the cap has loads of ink in there that needs to be cleaned out or when you remove the cap some ink is being sucked out of the section. Maybe the first thing to do is to empty the pen and give it a very good clean out and flush.

Thanks!

One other thing to check is if the nib unit is fully screwed in as that can also cause some leakage.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Here's an update. On the last three mornings there haven't been any leaks or anything else wrong. I am able to write fine with it and not have ink on my fingers as a result.

The leaking possible due to filling?

• 3 months later...
On 6/16/2021 at 12:21 PM, PAKMAN said:

One other thing to check is if the nib unit is fully screwed in as that can also cause some leakage.

Just found out what may be the cause of the leaking. This pen is a Pelikan Souveran M800 and I noticed that the black part that is next to the blue and black barrel is a bit loose. There's also some squeaking or grinding or whatever it's called that occasionally makes some noise. So what should I do? Live with it, get it repaired or what? Note that it doesn't leak all the time. If you think that it needs repairing then my next question is who should I have look at it? 

Frank 

On 9/27/2021 at 5:23 AM, pawnraider said:

the black part that is next to the blue and black barrel is a bit loose.

Sorry, but is this at the top of the barrel, that holds the nib (that's called the section or gripping section) or at the bottom of the barrel, where the two gold trim rings are (that would be the piston knob)? Either of those being loose could lead to leaks, but it makes a difference how they might be addressed. 

On 9/27/2021 at 5:23 AM, pawnraider said:

There's also some squeaking or grinding or whatever it's called that occasionally makes some noise.

Another clarifying question: are you doing anything when this noise occurs? If you are turning the piston knob when this occurs, that's one thing. Otherwise, perhaps a bit more specific information would help. 

Also a photo or two might help. 

If something is actually loose, then I would have it fixed; if you just leave it, chances are it will get worse, and leave dried ink all up in the works of the pen somewhere. I don't know if there are Pelikan-specific repair people, but any regular repair person (such as, but not limited to, our own Ron Z) should be able to fix these kinds of issues. I hope a real Pelikan person will come along with their own advice. 

On 10/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

Another clarifying question: are you doing anything when this noise occurs? If you are turning the piston knob when this occurs, that's one thing. Otherwise, perhaps a bit more specific information would help. 

Just gripping it to write and I my moving the part to be sure. Nothing to do with the piston knob or piston.

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem with M600. I discovered that the part, into which the nib threads, fits into the reservoir body but is quite easy to detatch. If this were to happen, it would open the entire ink reservoir. Even if it doesn't detatch, it still bleads ink a little.

In the States there is Chartpack, that will charge you if over the warrentee.

If not in the States write Pelikan at Hanover. Once they fixed for free like Lamy or Cross but now charge ... or sometimes charge...some just get lucky..

Either way Ron Z is a good option....check with him.

Repairs are much cheaper than many expect....so just hold off buying a case of beer and three bottles of ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.