Lamy 2000 - Brown (2021 edition)

mehandiratta

So 

The new lamy 2000 brown is up for pre order and the price is almost 4 times the base black version

image0_7_1080x.thumb.jpg.f996b1c5a867e13ab7ecb6eaf3c8c531.jpg

https://wonderpens.ca/products/lamy-2000-fountain-pen-anniversary-edition-brown

Are you going to buy this one??

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gloucesterman

• Waltz For Zizi

• LoBh

• bonnie-scott

There's already a thread on this, actually listed not too far down from the one here you started.  Ooooops!! :P:

Bought the Blue and like the looks of the Brown but at that price I will probably skip this one.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 months later...

I have the blue one (my daughter will get it in 5 years, either for her high school graduation or her 18th birthday). 

I also have the black amber, which I've put aside for now (these are the only two fountain pens I own that I don't use). 

I use the normal 2000 in black Macrolon and the stainless steel one regularly (M and OB nib).

I won't buy the brown one, because I just don't think it's beautiful. 
Besides, 55 is not an anniversary and the price is just silly.

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.

If they would just make like Pelikan and price them just a tad over the regular versions, let's say 1.5 times, they would have made a killing. I'm still waiting for them to come with a bright color 2000, maybe a yellow or turquoise, or green, at a mortal man's price of course.

3 hours ago, Waltz For Zizi said:

a bright color 2000, maybe a yellow or turquoise, or green, at a mortal man's price of course.

I saw an interview (it might have been Brian Goulet? when he went to the factory) with a senior manager? Yes I know I'm being vague it's an age thing - sorry.

But the interview did discuss colours of the Lamy 2000 and it was said that the material and finish of the 2000 meant it was difficult to produce different colours.

Hopefully someone more tech savvy than me will be along soon with a link to the video.

35 minutes ago, bonnie-scott said:

Hopefully someone more tech savvy than me will be along soon with a link to the video.

found the video

the discussion is just after 30.5 minutes.  Apparently because the pen has a brushed finish the dust from the stainless contaminates the plastic so the colour has to be dark.  Mr Achenbach discuss a special one of Red 2000 they produced and the colour ended up darker than intended wine red vs the planned signal red.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 12:54 AM, bonnie-scott said:

found the video

the discussion is just after 30.5 minutes.  Apparently because the pen has a brushed finish the dust from the stainless contaminates the plastic so the colour has to be dark.  Mr Achenbach discuss a special one of Red 2000 they produced and the colour ended up darker than intended wine red vs the planned signal red.

I'm sorry but I just cannot believe this. We have nanometer size transistors and other huge technical advancements and you cannot design a technique to remove/prevent the contamination from the brushing proccess? are you kidding me?

just brush the pen from the bottom to the tip and have a vacuum get the metal particles as it goes, or make it not brushed. The amber metalic version is def not brushed if you compare it to the other stainless steel version, so it's not like they are set on only making brushed pens.

They just don't want to invest the time and money, or are just trying to make them "rare" like Rolex with their stainless steel submariner watches "rarity", else they would have made the brown and blue more affordable and in bigger numbers and not ask for them almost 4x the price and make it super limited edition.

7 hours ago, Waltz For Zizi said:

I'm sorry but I just cannot believe this.

Why would Lamy being saying something like this, if it weren't true (based on current techniques employed by the company)?  If Lamy management felt that lighter special editions would sell well, then Lamy would have no rational reason not to produce these, unless of course there were technical hurdles that could not be readily overcome.  

I also don't think that it's as simple as using a vacuum technique to collect the particles from the brushing process.  Lamy has put a couple of videos on youtube about how the brushed finish is achieved on the Lamy 2000.  Those videos show that there is a continuous belt of very fine abrasive paper that's used, against which each pen is rotated.  I find it plausible that fine particles of stainless steel could be caught by the paper and then transferred to the Makrolon in the area where the two materials meet (with or without a vacuum nozzle in place).   Most of us shelling out for the not inconsiderable outlay involved in purchasing one of these wonderful pens would not accept visible contamination of the Makrolon.

All of that said, I would not be a buyer if the Lamy 2000 were released in lighter colours.  The standard black version suits me just fine.  In any case, I wouldn't pay the price premium that Lamy is demanding for special Lamy 2000 editions so that for me this is a moot issue.

On 10/2/2021 at 5:18 AM, Waltz For Zizi said:

They just don't want to invest the time and money,

And just how much out of your own pocket are you prepared to give Lamy, in order for the return on investment should be worthwhile?

On 10/2/2021 at 5:18 AM, Waltz For Zizi said:

else they would have made the brown and blue more affordable and in bigger numbers and not ask for them almost 4x the price and make it super limited edition.

That doesn't sound like you're really encouraging them to invest in order to tap into higher profit margin sales to consumers like you who are obviously interested in other colours of Lamy 2000. If the profit margin isn't sufficiently high, why should the company bother?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I would like to see a demonstrator L2K instead of a coloured Makrolon. It does not have to be transparent everywhere, just the barrel; maybe with a brushed finish. They probably need to dress-up the piston mechanism for this. 

6 hours ago, Logen from Seremban said:

I would like to see a demonstrator L2K instead of a coloured Makrolon. It does not have to be transparent everywhere, just the barrel; maybe with a brushed finish. They probably need to dress-up the piston mechanism for this. 

Now that idea sounds worth paying more for.

Although I do like the Brown LE it's cost is much beyond my perception of it's value.Thus my attention is turned toward something else.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

On 10/7/2021 at 9:27 PM, Logen from Seremban said:

They already exist

PsMlSEE9AbyiRAsvGOQkOHyTyyV8T4u8VIYsnvKt0XA.jpg

TB2he75aFXXXXX0XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!682629590.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 6:46 AM, Logen from Seremban said:

After typing the above comment, I went trawling on the web and found a 'pen shop' that makes replica L2K demonstrator. Here's the link : https://world.taobao.com/item/35656107130.htm.

The photo on the site shows a blue pen but you can still see the innards. I think they may have a clear version as well. It appears to be a well made copy. 

L2K replica.JPG

Does the site exist in english ? Could not find the button language.

LYTH

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/LYTH1/031.jpg

The translate button on my Chrome works well for this site. But if you are dead serious on making a purchase, I would advise you to get help from someone who can read Chinese. 

On 2/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, LYTH said:

Does the site exist in english ? Could not find the button language.

When I input 290 Yen into the Bankrate (www.bankrate.com) conversion site it came back with a figure of $2.52 USD. Somehow that does not make sense to me. If that is accurate I would be very interested to hear from someone who actually purchases /purchased one.

Please feel free to post a reply or PM me directly.

Thank you...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

3 minutes ago, Gloucesterman said:

When I input 290 Yen into the Bankrate (www.bankrate.com) conversion site it came back with a figure of $2.52 USD. Somehow that does not make sense to me.

It makes perfect sense to me. 290 Japanese yen is approximately that. 290 Chinese (renminbi) yuan is worth a whole lot more, what with CNY 1.00 being JPY 18.1389, according to XE.com just now.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

17 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

It makes perfect sense to me. 290 Japanese yen is approximately that. 290 Chinese (renminbi) yuan is worth a whole lot more, what with CNY 1.00 being JPY 18.1389, according to XE.com just now.

Oh, so the symbol I saw was Yuan rather than Yen. Now I understand. Thank you for the clarification.