Montegrappa Otto Extra Shiny Lines and Extra 1930 Bamboo Black

a student

On 7/1/2021 at 1:05 PM, fpupulin said:

I come a bit late to the party, newstudent, so I see you already bought your pen. Which one you decided for eventually?

Please do not forget posting some pics of your new pen, just to follow with this so friendly thread…

Hello como and  fpupulin

Fontoplumo just informed me that they are unable to supply the Otto Extra Shiny Lines as Montegrappa no longer have any left.

Well Bamboo Black is a definite option. I am again of two minds regarding the nib width- any thoughts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a student

• como

• fpupulin

• MoriartyR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@newstudent When you are left with one choice, it’s easier to choose! 😀 Bamboo is very beautiful. If you love celluloid depth, you will love this pen! Now to nib width, it depends a little bit on what pens and nibs you have in your collection. 

For example, my “go to” nib for everyday easy writing is a juicy smooth broad, stub or soft (cursive) italic type of nib. This is what I use when I just write anything with, not worrying if my handwriting looks good or not. Write like no one is watching. 

My more playful nibs are my vintage nibs, different degrees of flex and widths, some even adjustable like Wahl Eversharp Adjustable nib. I occasionally use these nibs for daily writing too but mostly I play with these pens/nibs for fun and recently for calligraphy practices. (My MB 149 Calligraphy falls into this category even though it’s a modern pen.)

Not knowing the situation in your collection, I would say that you go for a size that you feel very comfortable with and have it tuned to your liking, IF this pen is going to be one of handful jewels in your collection. This way you get most use out of a beautiful and expensive pen.

IF you already have quite a few beautiful modern celluloid pens, getting a different nib that you would use less is also good. But don’t get an unfamiliar nib size/grind, too risky and you might end up not using the pen because of an unsuitable nib.

These are my thoughts. Let’s see what others say. Good luck!

6 minutes ago, como said:

@newstudent When you are left with one choice, it’s easier to choose! 😀 Bamboo is very beautiful. If you love celluloid depth, you will love this pen! Now to nib width, it depends a little bit on what pens and nibs you have in your collection. 

For example, my “go to” nib for everyday easy writing is a juicy smooth broad, stub or soft (cursive) italic type of nib. This is what I use when I just write anything with, not worrying if my handwriting looks good or not. Write like no one is watching. 

My more playful nibs are my vintage nibs, different degrees of flex and widths, some even adjustable like Wahl Eversharp Adjustable nib. I occasionally use these nibs for daily writing too but mostly I play with these pens/nibs for fun and recently for calligraphy practices. (My MB 149 Calligraphy falls into this category even though it’s a modern pen.)

Not knowing the situation in your collection, I would say that you go for a size that you feel very comfortable with and have it tuned to your liking, IF this pen is going to be one of handful jewels in your collection. This way you get most use out of a beautiful and expensive pen.

IF you already have quite a few beautiful modern celluloid pens, getting a different nib that you would use less is also good. But don’t get an unfamiliar nib size/grind, too risky and you might end up not using the pen because of an unsuitable nib.

These are my thoughts. Let’s see what others say. Good luck!

Thank you for your thoughts. Would you know if the medium nib on Extra 1930 is "stubbish", showing line variation?

Edited by newstudent

4 minutes ago, newstudent said:

Thank you for your thoughts. Would you know if the medium nib on Extra 1930 is "stubbish", showing line variation?

M on Extra 1930 is not stubby (the monotone diamond imprint), nor is B, at least that’s my experience. They are also true western M and B in their width. If you can, please ask them to pick a nib that feels somewhat soft. Some can feel stiff, if that’s not what you prefer.

2 minutes ago, como said:

M on Extra 1930 is not stubby (the monotone diamond imprint), nor is B, at least that’s my experience. They are also true western M and B in their width. If you can, please ask them to pick a nib that feels somewhat soft. Some can feel stiff, if that’s not what you prefer.

Thank you. That is most helpful. 

The Black Bamboo is probably, among Montegrappa's celluloids, that with more deepness. A great and elegant Extra: congratulations!

Most of my Extra and Extra 1930 nibs are quite "old", so I have to confess that my experience with contemporary Montegrappa nibs is very limited.

"Old" Montegrappa nibs were invariably on the narrow side of the spectrum, so a Montegrappa fine was much finer than, for example, a Montblanc fine. Extra fines were actually true needle point. They were bouncy to rigid, but never stiff.

For everyday writing, a fine nib was almost perfect, a real joy to use. Broads were juicy and ions!very usable for daily writing. The stub on my Black Bamboo is one of the best nibs in my collection, but my specimen was made in Vicenza quite long time ago. The stub on my Extra Otto (filigree pattern) is much stiffer.

9 hours ago, fpupulin said:

The Black Bamboo is probably, among Montegrappa's celluloids, that with more deepness. A great and elegant Extra: congratulations!

Most of my Extra and Extra 1930 nibs are quite "old", so I have to confess that my experience with contemporary Montegrappa nibs is very limited.

"Old" Montegrappa nibs were invariably on the narrow side of the spectrum, so a Montegrappa fine was much finer than, for example, a Montblanc fine. Extra fines were actually true needle point. They were bouncy to rigid, but never stiff.

For everyday writing, a fine nib was almost perfect, a real joy to use. Broads were juicy and ions!very usable for daily writing. The stub on my Black Bamboo is one of the best nibs in my collection, but my specimen was made in Vicenza quite long time ago. The stub on my Extra Otto (filigree pattern) is much stiffer.

Thank you for bringing out the distinction between the earlier and the more recent Extra 1930/Otto nibs that definitely helps as does the distinction como makes between hard and soft ones.

Keeping all that advice in view I have ordered a fine nib and expressed a preference for the two tone version of the nib (presumably the earlier version), if one is available

2 hours ago, newstudent said:

Thank you for bringing out the distinction between the earlier and the more recent Extra 1930/Otto nibs that definitely helps as does the distinction como makes between hard and soft ones.

Keeping all that advice in view I have ordered a fine nib and expressed a preference for the two tone version of the nib (presumably the earlier version), if one is available

Having used and owned both modern and older Montegrappa nibs (mostly Fine & Mediums) I would say the difference is not huge. The modern Extra nib is a little bit springy, and as mentioned previously, very western in its line width. You can produce very mild line variation/flair in your script, however it is not what you would say most reviewers are calling 'semi flex' these days, no even close. If you have used a modern Parker Duofold nib, this is what I would call a 'hard' or 'nail' nib, and the modern Extra nib is definitely not that. An older photo of one of my Fine nibs is below just for fun :)

A two-tone greek key fine nib on a bamboo black Extra 1930 is a really great choice, may it bring you many hours of writing happiness!

udPe2wvl.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

1 hour ago, Ceelo said:

Having used and owned both modern and older Montegrappa nibs (mostly Fine & Mediums) I would say the difference is not huge. The modern Extra nib is a little bit springy, and as mentioned previously, very western in its line width. You can produce very mild line variation/flair in your script, however it is not what you would say most reviewers are calling 'semi flex' these days, no even close. If you have used a modern Parker Duofold nib, this is what I would call a 'hard' or 'nail' nib, and the modern Extra nib is definitely not that. An older photo of one of my Fine nibs is below just for fun :)

A two-tone greek key fine nib on a bamboo black Extra 1930 is a really great choice, may it bring you many hours of writing happiness!

udPe2wvl.jpg

Thank you for your thoughts. I can't quite make out but the nib on the shiny lines in your photograph does not appear to be a two tone one- hence a "modern" nib. Correct?

Correct, it was an edition from 2018 and single tone. Please note that there are two tone modern montegrappa nibs so that in itself is not an indicator of whether the nib is 'older' or 'newer'. 

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

11 hours ago, Ceelo said:

Correct, it was an edition from 2018 and single tone. Please note that there are two tone modern montegrappa nibs so that in itself is not an indicator of whether the nib is 'older' or 'newer'. 

Thank you Ceelo for mentioning this. One keeps learning.

I have contacted fontoplumo, (and do hope I am not burning my goodwill there with repeated emails, to request that the older version of the two tone nib (if available) may be supplied. But, I suspect, either version would function reasonably well, after all Montegrappa can't get the basic nib too wrong– though of the two, the older version may well be nicer to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello FPN friends

I received the Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black F nib today. My photography is not worth exhibiting here but for sake of form I have taken some photographs. Also included in the photographs is an old Extra 1930 Black/White of mine, also with a fine nib. 

1.thumb.jpg.62d0d32f343e4a9bb73e3c8ff68ff782.jpg

And here is the Bamboo Black by itself

2.thumb.jpg.24264191f0e6d2130b55e997d35eb1fd.jpg

And here are the two pens together again. The Black and White Extra 1930 is at least 12 to 15 years old. I can't recall the year I purchased it

3.thumb.jpg.b7aaabc9d96c9cde9608dd13493aa508.jpg

The two nibs- both are F

I have to say that I much prefer the old Montegrappa nib!

4.thumb.jpg.325910ee5e6eba3f512942273c52904f.jpg

Finally, here is a writing sample with of Bamboo Black- this is Fontoplumo's work. I had requested that Fontoplumo test the nib, and shows what can be done with the pen by a writer much better than myself.

5.thumb.jpg.b35564055325e19d2bedeb5d90a6b252.jpg

Newstudent, your two Montegrappa Extras are beautiful!

I remember, when Montegrappa launched the Extra Black and White, in April 2009, that some aficionados commented that the pen was overly similar to the Black Bamboo, introduced four years earlier. I find, however, that the two pens have very personal and unique personalities of each.

Black and White has, as was expected, greater contrast between the light (pearly white) and the dark zones, and this makes it more "lively" than Black Bamboo celluloid. Before Montegrappa used Black and White celluloid in its Extra 1930, the company had produced some pens (Classica, Historia, Emblema) in another mottled black celluloid, Carbon Black, which overall was decidedly darker, to the point of appearing excessively sober. I own a Montegrappa Classica in Carbon Black celluloid and I find it a beautiful pen, but the celluloid of the Extra Black and White is, in my opinion, cheerful and more beautiful.

Black Bamboo is a masterpiece of a pen. The lower contrast between the background black and the green streaks makes it more sober than Black and White, more mysterious, and like her name it recalls the depth of a tropical forest, and the play of light and shadow in the dense undergrowth. If I had to bring a fountain pen to a business meeting, I would choose Black Bamboo, sober enough to go almost unnoticed, but refined enough to get some admiring glances.

It is curious how, although the contrast between green and black is less than with the pearly white, the lighter parts of the Black Bamboo celluloid seem to spring from their own light, internal to the pen. It is an effect that I do not know in any other celluloid that I have been able to observe live.

Congratulations on your two beauties!

15 hours ago, fpupulin said:

Newstudent, your two Montegrappa Extras are beautiful!

I remember, when Montegrappa launched the Extra Black and White, in April 2009, that some aficionados commented that the pen was overly similar to the Black Bamboo, introduced four years earlier. I find, however, that the two pens have very personal and unique personalities of each.

Black and White has, as was expected, greater contrast between the light (pearly white) and the dark zones, and this makes it more "lively" than Black Bamboo celluloid. Before Montegrappa used Black and White celluloid in its Extra 1930, the company had produced some pens (Classica, Historia, Emblema) in another mottled black celluloid, Carbon Black, which overall was decidedly darker, to the point of appearing excessively sober. I own a Montegrappa Classica in Carbon Black celluloid and I find it a beautiful pen, but the celluloid of the Extra Black and White is, in my opinion, cheerful and more beautiful.

Black Bamboo is a masterpiece of a pen. The lower contrast between the background black and the green streaks makes it more sober than Black and White, more mysterious, and like her name it recalls the depth of a tropical forest, and the play of light and shadow in the dense undergrowth. If I had to bring a fountain pen to a business meeting, I would choose Black Bamboo, sober enough to go almost unnoticed, but refined enough to get some admiring glances.

It is curious how, although the contrast between green and black is less than with the pearly white, the lighter parts of the Black Bamboo celluloid seem to spring from their own light, internal to the pen. It is an effect that I do not know in any other celluloid that I have been able to observe live.

Congratulations on your two beauties!

I was under the mistaken impression that I had bought the black and white Extra 1930 around 2007/2008. But as you rightly point out it wasn't launched until 2009. So it must have been in 2010 when I bought it.

I had gone to one of the larger London department stores which maintains a large hall like room labelled "The Writing Room", (with an array of pens from all over the world), to buy myself a Bamboo Black. Well the only Bamboo Black that was there was one with solid gold trim with tiny diamonds stuck in the grooves of the Greek patterned band around the cap. The sales lady, a most helpful person, when asked mentioned the price for the normal version- but I could see it was actually 10 times that price!

Not wanting to embarrass the sales lady (perhaps from another department helping with the pens for the morning), I did not point out her error but took the black and white Extra 1930 instead. And, of course did wonder to myself as to what kind of person might carry a bejewelled fountain pen around!

@newstudent Congratulations on your new Black Bamboo! It’s really a stunning material and I associate this deep rich green in the darkness of the black with a thriving force of nature, serene and vivid at the same time. Enjoy it in good health and good times! 👍

10 hours ago, como said:

@newstudent Congratulations on your new Black Bamboo! It’s really a stunning material and I associate this deep rich green in the darkness of the black with a thriving force of nature, serene and vivid at the same time. Enjoy it in good health and good times! 👍

Many thanks for your kind thoughts 

Yesterday, while commenting on newstudent's new pen, como and I expressed our appreciation through images that seemed evocative to me.

I joined our thoughts onto the paper, in a four-hands celebration of Montegrappa Extra 1930 Black Bamboo!

large.416722842_MontegrappaExtra1930BlackBambooMysteriousbodyFP.jpg.9a966847b49241f036f0971aaab9b2ed.jpg

14 minutes ago, fpupulin said:

Yesterday, while commenting on newstudent's new pen, como and I expressed our appreciation through images that seemed evocative to me.

I joined our thoughts onto the paper, in a four-hands celebration of Montegrappa Extra 1930 Black Bamboo!

large.416722842_MontegrappaExtra1930BlackBambooMysteriousbodyFP.jpg.9a966847b49241f036f0971aaab9b2ed.jpg

You sir, are a person of many talents, pursued to the fullest! And the above piece presents a most remarkable and enjoyable combination of some of these talents. And thus a source of inspiration.

I should add that the Black Bamboo is shown here in an enviable play of light, and all the more attractive for that!

@fpupulin Dear Franco, this is so beautiful in so many ways! You really make this hobby so much fun and full of depth and inspiration. If I tried to do this, it would take ages and wouldn’t look one tenth as good 😀. Thank you!

6 hours ago, como said:

@fpupulin Dear Franco, this is so beautiful in so many ways! You really make this hobby so much fun and full of depth and inspiration. If I tried to do this, it would take ages and wouldn’t look one tenth as good 😀. Thank you!

Well said!