Rest In Peace Tomoe River :’(

collectorofmanythings

I am so late to this news.. but I just heard about the death of probably the best fountain pen paper ever made. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for a paper that shows the amount of shading, shimmer, and sheen as Tomoe? Also do you think there is a possibility of them being it back? 

I will soon post a link underneath this post for a poll that will sort of be a petition to bring back Tomoe River. I hope that if the manufacturers happen to see it (there is a probably low chance that they will see it, but it’s worth a shot) that they will fix the machines and maybe raise the price to compensate for the price of wood pulp and bring it back!

Thank you,

W. H. Major

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collectorofmanythings

• Ergative

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

9 minutes ago, collectorofmanythings said:

I hope that if the manufacturers happen to see it (there is a probably low chance that they will see it, but it’s worth a shot) that they will fix the machines and maybe raise the price to compensate for the price of wood pulp and bring it back!

Tomoegawa's paper milling plants no.7 and no.9 aren't broken or crumbling, as far as what I've read. It's simply a case of not being commercially viable and profitable to keep producing and selling the paper; and how many more packs of Sakae Technical Paper (Tomoe River FP) paper are being sold (in context) in the tiny retail markets of Australia, Europe and North America or raising the prices of such by how many multiples is hardly going to make a material difference to the economic outcome for the company.

Take the ‘love’, and customer desire to have the choice in the retail market to buy tiny amounts ‘Just-In-Time’ on demand, out of the equation, I say, if you want to make a case to the company to keep producing the ‘new’ Tomoe River FP as-is while it tries to restore profitability. A petition is not a commitment to the company to spend enough money with it to make the for-profit enterprise worthwhile.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

5 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Tomoegawa's paper milling plants no.7 and no.9 aren't broken or crumbling, as far as what I've read. It's simply a case of not being commercially viable and profitable to keep producing and selling the paper; and how many more packs of Sakae Technical Paper (Tomoe River FP) paper are being sold (in context) in the tiny retail markets of Australia, Europe and North America or raising the prices of such by how many multiples is hardly going to make a material difference to the economic outcome for the company.

Take the ‘love’, and customer desire to have the choice in the retail market to buy tiny amounts ‘Just-In-Time’ on demand, out of the equation, I say, if you want to make a case to the company to keep producing the ‘new’ Tomoe River FP as-is while it tries to restore profitability. A petition is not a commitment to the company to spend enough money with it to make the for-profit enterprise worthwhile.

Oh, I heard that the machines had broken, as well as the cost of wood pulp had gone up, and after the machines broke they didn’t want to spend the money to fix them and that was the final straw. And I said that they could raise prices, I’m absolutely certain that people would still buy it. And a petition can’t hurt, can it?

Just now, collectorofmanythings said:

And I said that they could raise prices, I’m absolutely certain that people would still buy it.

Not enough of it. If Sakae TP aren't selling enough of its Tomoe River FP products now, how many do you think it will sell if the prices went up by even a modest 100%?

And how are you going to bring back the wholesale demand for using Tomoe River in printed material? Run a campaign to corral believers worldwide into only buying Bibles printed on Tomoe River paper?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Not enough of it. If Sakae TP aren't selling enough of its Tomoe River FP products now, how many do you think it will sell if the prices went up by even a modest 100%?

And how are you going to bring back the wholesale demand for using Tomoe River in printed material? Run a campaign to corral believers worldwide into only buying Bibles printed on Tomoe River paper?

Were any printed books being made with it?

Oof, I hadn't heard, either :( (I've been essentially living under a rock of late, in my defense.) Darn, I should have added some TR paper to my order this morning...

This article I was able to Google up certainly seems to fit in with OP's impression that it was the machines needing repair that was the last straw: https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2021/06/jesi-answers-all-your-questions-about-tomoe-river/

Is that the article you'd read?

Maybe the best response is to start looking at the alternative papers now...

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

9 hours ago, oraxia said:

Oof, I hadn't heard, either :( (I've been essentially living under a rock of late, in my defense.) Darn, I should have added some TR paper to my order this morning...

This article I was able to Google up certainly seems to fit in with OP's impression that it was the machines needing repair that was the last straw: https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2021/06/jesi-answers-all-your-questions-about-tomoe-river/

Is that the article you'd read?

Maybe the best response is to start looking at the alternative papers now...

Yes, that was one of the articles.

15 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I understand the the FP market wasn’t the main consumer of TR, but I think that the many, many TR users that use it for FPs worldwide would still buy it if it went up 100%. I understand that that probably isn’t enough for them, I am just desperate.

45 minutes ago, collectorofmanythings said:

I am just desperate

Desperation won't help. Seeking alternatives would be more productive.😃  Stalogy or Cosmo Air might suit your needs.

Add lightness and simplicate.

59 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Desperation won't help. Seeking alternatives would be more productive.😃  Stalogy or Cosmo Air might suit your needs.

Took the words from my mouth :)

3 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

I'm using a Stalogy 365 days notebook at the moment and do really like it.  My current plan is be more eclectic with paper, as I am with my pens and inks so that I don't end up in the situation that I was in with TR where I got so accustomed to using it.  Since I stopped, I realised that I was missing out on the favourable characteristics of other papers and that some of my nibs/inks do work better with other papers. 

Although a good paper, TR is definitely not the end all, be all.  I was a huge fan, but will certainly manage without it, especially the later batch which may well be the available batch yet to be exhausted.  The new batch had differences to the original that I could easily detect and which I didn't find pleasant.  The proof in the pudding was when, totally unaware of a difference, I opened a new Nanami notebook and was struggling with it.  In frustration,  and wondering if I was imagining things or if I had a 'lemon' notebook, I made a query on FPN, only to confirm that there were indeed differences between the current and the old runs of paper.  :wacko:

I will also give be giving Cosmo Air light paper a try.  Thanks for that suggestion.  

BTW, there's Midori paper.

I have a Midori MD notebook too. It feels more utilitarian than TRP or CAL. Like, the ink will dry faster, but the shading/sheen, while visible, are not as pronounced and the edges aren't quiet as smooth as on CAL or (old) TRP. Also, the cream color of the paper is incompatible with certain ink colors. I like it fine, and it is a lot easier to get than CAL notebooks, so I'm not worried about finding adequate paper. But it doesn't feel special the way they do.

I guess I should give the TR notebook I have another look. I got it a couple of years ago and wrote a page in it and was unimpressed. Immediately went back to my Clairefontaine 90g/sm paper notebooks.

1 hour ago, sirgilbert357 said:

I guess I should give the TR notebook I have another look. I got it a couple of years ago and wrote a page in it and was unimpressed. Immediately went back to my Clairefontaine 90g/sm paper notebooks.

You could do. Or, judging from some comments upthread, maybe you could find someone willing to buy it for megabux.

2 hours ago, Ergative said:

You could do. Or, judging from some comments upthread, maybe you could find someone willing to buy it for megabux.

Well, they'd have to be OK with a hardbound journal having a page or two ripped out of the front of it (a bit unsightly)...

3 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Well, they'd have to be OK with a hardbound journal having a page or two ripped out of the front of it (a bit unsightly)...

patina/character/authenticity all god words to use when selling damage or incomplete items 🤣

11 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Thank you for your help :)

10 hours ago, Ergative said:

I do love Cosmo Air Light.

Hmm, it seems a lot of people like this. Does it show sheen well?