Finned feeders for Indian eye dropper filled pens.

hari317

9 hours ago, sansenri said:

Sorry that I was not clear enough, Hari.

When I asked "would any of these fit with a size 6 nib like Bock? " I was particularly interested in the Kim & co. & Kanpur, as I have a preference for ebonite feeds. But thanks all info very useful in my playing around with nibs and feeds.

I know that sometimes it's not correct to swap at will, there should be preferred matching between nib and feed, by trying does no harm, I've found some interesting matches by trial and error.

“yes “for the kim and co. “Maybe “ for the Kanpur as it has a slightly smaller diameter and works with thinker nibs. 

yes but also I'm fond of those two NN, they are brand new, I got them from a guy who had a set of 10, for very cheap, I think they were sold in boxes of 10s to stationery stores...

Sure. I extract my feeds from parts pens only. The NNs were sold in individual blister packs. But packing can change from place to place and eras. 

Would you recognize the feed that came with my Kanwrite as a Kanpur?

It has this oddly shaped sort of half pyramidal tip.

It’s v much possible as KW is located in Kanpur. I have seen feeds that are similar to feeds used by KW but not identical so there is some variation. KW feeds are sold by kiwi pens. I have not found feeders on the kw price list. FNF sells some ebonite feeds for friction fit in Indian pens.  Check them out. Best, Hari 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Aravind_A_2310

• sniyogy

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/19/2021 at 1:50 AM, sansenri said:

Would you recognize the feed that came with my Kanwrite as a Kanpur?

It has this oddly shaped sort of half pyramidal tip.

Kanwrite's ebonite feed has a distinct shape. It is meant to be used with Heritage, although it will fit Wality, Gama pens etc. too. 

@hari317 thanks for your recommendation. I have now successfully emptied the barrels of 2 wality 69t pens both with sheaffer nn feeds. No burps whatsoever. Previously with the stock feed i used to see increased flow when ink was at 40%. Now i have no ink in barrel and still no burps. Even when i hold my fist tight around it for 30 sec holding pen upside down. Part of this might be due to summer weather but it is quite remarkable nevertheless. Now i can use all of my ink without worry  and no ink is held hostage. 😇 

now i am wondering if this same feed works with any of the ASA or Gama eyedropper pens as well? 

17 minutes ago, cvk said:

now i am wondering if this same feed works with any of the ASA or Gama eyedropper pens as well? 

It will work if the pen has a friction fit nib feed setup( no screw in nib unit).
I am not sure whether ASA sells ED only pens anymore. I know Gama does. 
good luck and good to hear that you can write your pens dry now. Do report back with your winter experience after a few months. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

6 hours ago, cvk said:

I fit KWs ebonite feeds to all Indian EDs with no. 35 nibs and the performance is much, much better than with the standard ladder feeds they usually come with. Burping is not completely eradicated, however.

A while back, I experimented with deepening the fins on the KW feeds to mimic the structure of the Kim feeds. It is a tedious process but the performance was even better with little or no burping at extreme temperature variance.

5 hours ago, hari317 said:

Do report back with your winter experience after a few months. 

SIr, I actually did this with the experiment I described above. The winter temperatures where I am are negative single to double digits and the deeper fins prevented the ink from pooling out quite effectively.

1 hour ago, sniyogy said:

SIr, I actually did this with the experiment I described above. The winter temperatures where I am are negative single to double digits and the deeper fins prevented the ink from pooling out quite effectively.

Great results with the modified feed. I have a few pieces and their diameter varied from 6.3 to 6.2mm leading to a loose fit in the section. This can create secondary problems. Also was not happy with the depth of fins as you have also mentioned. But burping is of academic interest only where I live. The typical Indian ebonite feeder works perfectly well provided it’s a nice tight fit in the section with no annular air gaps except for the tiny dot for the feed’s air channel. Best, Hari 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick qn: I read in one of the other threads (and also saw it mentioned in passing on this thread) that the Sheaffer NN feed also can be used with other (non Wality ) Indian Eyedropper pens that do not take the screw in nib unit like Gama Popular, Hawk, Eyas, Supreme and Airborne etc. (Esp the pens that take No 6 nibs), looks like Gama Supreme uses No 10 nibs so I am not sure if NN feed will be fine for that

Is it possible to confirm that that is actually the case? 

13 minutes ago, cvk said:

Yes. NN feed can be used for most Indian eyedropper pens that use the generic 6.5 mm ebonite feed.

40 minutes ago, cvk said:

Quick qn: I read in one of the other threads (and also saw it mentioned in passing on this thread) that the Sheaffer NN feed also can be used with other (non Wality ) Indian Eyedropper pens that do not take the screw in nib unit like Gama Popular, Hawk, Eyas, Supreme and Airborne etc. (Esp the pens that take No 6 nibs), looks like Gama Supreme uses No 10 nibs so I am not sure if NN feed will be fine for that

what is a no. 10 nib?

Is it the same as 40mm nib?

44 minutes ago, cvk said:

looks like Gama Supreme uses No 10 nibs so I am not sure if NN feed will be fine for that

It is not a # 10 nib. The # in the name indicates the width of the nib's base.

The nib is 40 mm long but its base is not very wide. NN feed works for this nib as well.

On 6/19/2021 at 8:08 AM, hari317 said:

“yes “for the kim and co. “Maybe “ for the Kanpur as it has a slightly smaller diameter and works with thinker nibs. 

Sure. I extract my feeds from parts pens only. The NNs were sold in individual blister packs. But packing can change from place to place and eras. 

It’s v much possible as KW is located in Kanpur. I have seen feeds that are similar to feeds used by KW but not identical so there is some variation. KW feeds are sold by kiwi pens. I have not found feeders on the kw price list. FNF sells some ebonite feeds for friction fit in Indian pens.  Check them out. Best, Hari 

sorry for replying late, but thanks for the tips, Hari!

2 hours ago, cvk said:

Indian and western size designations are different. 
indian:

no 5, 5.5, 8, no 35, no 40. 

no 5 and no 5.5 take a 4.75mm diameter feed. No 8, 35 & 40 take a 6.35mm diameter feed. 
 Sheaffer NN feed has 6.35mm diameter. 
sometimes some old pen dealers call the no 35 as no 10 and no 40 as no 12 nibs. 

western nib sizes have a wide variety. You have the long no 6. The short no 6. The wide no 5 the narrow no 5 and so on.
The official designations for nib sizes from bock and jowo are entirely different. In fact the jowo parlance is not common knowledge unless you are a dealer. 

The Gama supreme has a no 35 (no 10) as far as I know. 

An excellent pen using the no

35 nib is a Deccan advocate. 

best

hari

3 hours ago, hari317 said:

Indian and western size designations are different. 
indian:

no 5, 5.5, 8, no 35, no 40. 

no 5 and no 5.5 take a 4.75mm diameter feed. No 8, 35 & 40 take a 6.35mm diameter feed. 
 Sheaffer NN feed has 6.35mm diameter. 
sometimes some old pen dealers call the no 35 as no 10 and no 40 as no 12 nibs. 

western nib sizes have a wide variety. You have the long no 6. The short no 6. The wide no 5 the narrow no 5 and so on.
The official designations for nib sizes from bock and jowo are entirely different. In fact the jowo parlance is not common knowledge unless you are a dealer. 

The Gama supreme has a no 35 (no 10) as far as I know. 

An excellent pen using the no

35 nib is a Deccan advocate. 

best

hari

Thanks so much for detailed reply. This is very good to know

5 hours ago, HartGummi said:

It is not a # 10 nib. The # in the name indicates the width of the nib's base.

The nib is 40 mm long but its base is not very wide. NN feed works for this nib as well.

🙏🏼🙏🏼

• 4 weeks later...

This is a slightly unrelated point - Pilot tank eyedropper pen feeds look smooth and relatively non-finned and yet they don't burp. What contributes to this property in Pilot tank feeds?

16 minutes ago, bestillmysoul said:

This is a slightly unrelated point - Pilot tank eyedropper pen feeds look smooth and relatively non-finned and yet they don't burp. What contributes to this property in Pilot tank feeds?

As they say “ Hathi ke daant khane ke alag aur dikhane ke alag hote hain”. The tank pen feeder has fins but on the shaft of the feed and hidden from view. 

1 hour ago, hari317 said:

As they say “ Hathi ke daant khane ke alag aur dikhane ke alag hote hain”. The tank pen feeder has fins but on the shaft of the feed and hidden from view. 

Super !

• 5 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 1:33 AM, hari317 said:

It will work if the pen has a friction fit nib feed setup( no screw in nib unit).
I am not sure whether ASA sells ED only pens anymore. I know Gama does. 
good luck and good to hear that you can write your pens dry now. Do report back with your winter experience after a few months. 

It is winter, and I am very happy to report that I can still write my Wality 69T dry after all these months. The Sheaffer NN feed is indeed an amazing thing. I think that all feeds should be designed that way. No burps, no leaks, large ink capacity regardless of the weather/temperature. It made an already very good pen into a great reliable, tension-free pen. Thanks for suggesting that @hari317 ! 

5 hours ago, cvk said:

It is winter, and I am very happy to report that I can still write my Wality 69T dry after all these months. The Sheaffer NN feed is indeed an amazing thing. I think that all feeds should be designed that way. No burps, no leaks, large ink capacity regardless of the weather/temperature. It made an already very good pen into a great reliable, tension-free pen. Thanks for suggesting that @hari317 ! 

👍