Finned feeders for Indian eye dropper filled pens.

hari317

Pictures of some finned feeders which can directly replace the stock friction fit ebonite feeders on Indian eyedropper filled pens which have the Indian no 8 (28mm in length. Sitting over a 1/4 inch diameter feeder) nib or the Indian no 35 or no 40 nib.

top view:

C6ED69C3-54EF-41E2-AE42-734B5090C979.jpeg.2687fe2975f87b45d79221f631ca3990.jpeg

L-R: Sheaffer NN, Kim & co., Kanpur. 

side view: the nn feed would not stay in place for me to take the pic. 
F9365A53-E3ED-4410-86F9-7361C7C3E931.jpeg.43a404d98816fbe16423296744647de2.jpeg

Bottom View:

1126FF9B-49C7-48EE-8562-402AC3C87816.jpeg.568d8cde771e6c20376228f4afd856df.jpeg

as you can see the Sheaffer and Kim feeds have deep fins for very good ink buffering. 

I am not sure if kim & co still uses the same feeds shown here. Can anyone who recently purchased one pls confirm? 
Thanks. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Aravind_A_2310

• sniyogy

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Shaeffer feed in a Wality 71T. The nib is the OE Wality Fine, which has been smoothed a little.

I am always interested in a finned feeder that does not mean my destroying a pen to get it.

than you, very interesting Hari.

would any of these fit with a size 6 nib like Bock?

I was reading with interest your suggestion to use the Sheaffer Nononsense plastic feeds, but these pens are now becoming difficult to find and also I really would prefer ebonite feeds.

I have a Ranga sugarcane that is fitted with a Bock nib and friction fit ebonite feed in eyedropper.

It's a fantastic writer, I love the unrestrained ink flow, but for some reason is prone to burping, while several other Ranga eyedroppers I own practically never do.

btw, does Kanwrite also offer ebonite feeds?

6 minutes ago, sansenri said:

than you, very interesting Hari.

would any of these fit with a size 6 nib like Bock?

Yes. Pls see here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/355762-airmailwality-69-family/?do=findComment&comment=4442482

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, sansenri said:

was reading with interest your suggestion to use the Sheaffer Nononsense plastic feeds, but these pens are now becoming difficult to find and also I really would prefer ebonite feeds.

Try to look for used ones. Teri sells sheaffer school pen sections at 11 usd for three. The feeders are identical to NN feeders. The feeder performance is so good that you are not going to miss the ebonite feed. 

10 minutes ago, sansenri said:

have a Ranga sugarcane that is fitted with a Bock nib and friction fit ebonite feed in eyedropper.

Ok. Can you post a pic of the nib and the feed? 

12 minutes ago, sansenri said:

btw, does Kanwrite also offer ebonite feeds?

I believe they do offer nib units with ebonite feeders. These are proprietary housings however.

sorry for multiple replies. I access fpn from my phone and it’s easier to copy quote and reply.  

40 minutes ago, Dip n Scratch said:

I am always interested in a finned feeder that does not mean my destroying a pen to get it.

Sheaffer NN nib tips tend to wear out pretty fast with regular use. So if you have such pens or can buy such off eBay then the feeders are excellent parts to salvage. Also see above for from where you can buy just the sections for pretty cheap. Also the feed removal can be cleanly done and is reversible. No destruction should be involved. HTH. 

1 hour ago, hari317 said:

Try to look for used ones. Teri sells sheaffer school pen sections at 11 usd for three. The feeders are identical to NN feeders. The feeder performance is so good that you are not going to miss the ebonite feed. 

not useful to buy from Teri unfortunately, shipment cost and taxes are overkill from US to here...
I have looked for some used pens online but over here at best I can get a NN pen for around $15 shipment excluded.

Also I actually have a couple of NN, but they are pristine and it would be a pity to sacrifice them just for the feed...
large.1871951553_P1160556-3Sheafferno.nonsenseblueandpurple.jpg.91678ad35ba2878f7fcf75728ab8d7cc.jpg

5 hours ago, hari317 said:

I believe they do offer nib units with ebonite feeders. These are proprietary housings however.

sorry for multiple replies. I access fpn from my phone and it’s easier to copy quote and reply.  

Just asking because I have a Kanwrite flex, which was not so much to my liking, on a Ranga 8B, in eyedropper.

I have several Ranga pens and I know their ebonite feeds but the one that came with the Kanwrite nib was different.

Here is the feed, the Kanwrite flex nib and the Ranga 8B

large.1854868498_Kanwritenibfeed.jpg.1b085da642e66d1044588afda12a504d.jpg

large.930245275_Kanwritenibfeed3.jpg.109b3d4c30b011c2972a403bd3f27824.jpg

When I tried to swap nib and feed with another nib and a regular Ranga ebonite feed (of which I have a few spares) I discovered the diameter of the Kanwrite + corresponding feed is wider, and other nib + feed would fall out...

I finally solved asking Ranga to kindly send me some "slightly wider feeds"

The pen now has a Bock nib and a regular Ranga feed and works very well.

I am however curious to know what this different feed I got with the Kanwrite is.

PS after looking carefully at your feeds and mine I think my feed is a Kanpur it looks very much like yours.

5 hours ago, hari317 said:

Ok. Can you post a pic of the nib and the feed? 

and here is my sugarcane nib and feed, the nib is Bock (Conklin marked) really nice, while the feed is a regular Ranga ebonite feed, I think.

Perhaps I should try to see if I have one with more marked fins...

large.1189928538_nibandfeed4.jpg.91d4013395329e2f959a8e19a9aa6c2c.jpg

large.1438159378_nibandfeed3.jpg.b8618db78bfc08f6b43dd9537a2f698f.jpg

8 hours ago, sansenri said:

Thanks I have followed that thread, informative but I'm really looking for the ebonite feeds

You asked if one could fit a bock no 6 over the sheaffer feed. The link should take you to some relevant pics. 

8 hours ago, sansenri said:

not useful to buy from Teri unfortunately, shipment cost and taxes are overkill from US to here...
I have looked for some used pens online but over here at best I can get a NN pen for around $15 shipment excluded.

Also I actually have a couple of NN, but they are pristine and it would be a pity to sacrifice them just for the feed...
large.1871951553_P1160556-3Sheafferno.nonsenseblueandpurple.jpg.91678ad35ba2878f7fcf75728ab8d7cc.jpg

Cost benefit analysis is your call. 

5 hours ago, sansenri said:

and here is my sugarcane nib and feed, the nib is Bock (Conklin marked) really nice, while the feed is a regular Ranga ebonite feed, I think.

Perhaps I should try to see if I have one with more marked fins...

large.1189928538_nibandfeed4.jpg.91d4013395329e2f959a8e19a9aa6c2c.jpg

large.1438159378_nibandfeed3.jpg.b8618db78bfc08f6b43dd9537a2f698f.jpg

With the pen dry and devoid of ink, hold the nib side of the section against a strong light. Look from the section threads side. Do you see some light around the feed? 

15 hours ago, hari317 said:

You asked if one could fit a bock no 6 over the sheaffer feed. The link should take you to some relevant pics. 

Sorry that I was not clear enough, Hari.

When I asked "would any of these fit with a size 6 nib like Bock? " I was particularly interested in the Kim & co. & Kanpur, as I have a preference for ebonite feeds. But thanks all info very useful in my playing around with nibs and feeds.

I know that sometimes it's not correct to swap at will, there should be preferred matching between nib and feed, by trying does no harm, I've found some interesting matches by trial and error.

Cost benefit analysis is your call. 

yes but also I'm fond of those two NN, they are brand new, I got them from a guy who had a set of 10, for very cheap, I think they were sold in boxes of 10s to stationery stores...

With the pen dry and devoid of ink, hold the nib side of the section against a strong light. Look from the section threads side. Do you see some light around the feed? 

ah, I see what you mean, but no, I cannot see any light shine through, although of course I've re-set the nib and feed after taking the photo...

I understand if the feed is leaving air in this would disrupt the balance of pressure that is keeping ink from dripping out. I'll keep an eye on this point.

Would you recognize the feed that came with my Kanwrite as a Kanpur?

It has this oddly shaped sort of half pyramidal tip.