Does anyone have a report to offer from the Triangle Pen Show?

Toll

I attended this year and found it busier than last year and with more vendors than last year. 
The auction pens were very nice this year as well, but largely not within the areas I collect, so I made no auction purchases.

Prices seemed to be about the same as they have been at the most recent Chicago, Baltimore and Ohio shows. No bargains from casual sellers for me as in years past at shows, but fair prices from established sellers.

Venue very nice and traffic quite manageable going in and leaving, plus weather good. 
A good show overall, though for me a very busy one as I helped out a bit.

I suspect Ron may not have been as busy as in the past because there seemed to be fewer casual owners looking to have a pen or two repaired and there were several people working on pens. 
And yes, some people who have set up at this and other pen shows in the past were missing from the Triangle Pen Show and some took up less space, so the show was a little different than some in the past, but it was still a nice show. 
Last year it seemed people attending while a bit anxious were glad to attend and had an ability and desire to spend and were doing so. This year spending and enthusiasm was a bit more restrained.

I will not be attending Saint Louis this year, but am curious as to what it will be like as it was supposed to be a larger show and they did not have an in person show in Saint Louis last year. 

I suspect higher gasoline prices and inflation negatively affected the Triangle Pen Show this year. Given even higher gasoline prices and the hotel in Saint Louis being relatively expensive and not located near a lower cost Hotel alternative such as the Triangle Pen Show had with a Red Roof Inn literally across the street, a short walk away, I am afraid it may be a very large show in terms of vendors, but with fewer people in attendance than attended the Triangle, Chicago and Baltimore shows this year, all of which had good but not great attendance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Just J

• Parker51

• inkstainedruth

• Toll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/7/2022 at 7:51 PM, Ron Z said:

Compared to other years, it was much quieter, especially Friday and Sunday.  There were quite a few people that we usually see at Raleigh that weren't there this year.   I think that the combination of pandemic and insane gas prices put a damper on things. 

I agree, (apologies for the lateness). It was however a fitting comfortable, easy to maneuver around atmosphere for those who have missed it and for some new vendors to get their feet wet.  I am glad that there were several NC vendors represented. All and all, I enjoyed it for what it was this year. A wondereful reintroduction to a time-honored tradition for those who love fountain pens and all the accoutrements that can accompany them, no matter contemporary or vintage. Terry did a great job once again. Believe next year will be the 20th, can hardly wait!

Aissaotu Sunjata

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

1 hour ago, fountainpenlady said:

I agree, (apologies for the lateness). It was however a fitting comfortable, easy to maneuver around atmosphere for those who have missed it and for some new vendors to get their feet wet.  I am glad that there were several NC vendors represented. All and all, I enjoyed it for what it was this year. A wondereful reintroduction to a time-honored tradition for those who love fountain pens and all the accoutrements that can accompany them, no matter contemporary or vintage. Terry did a great job once again. Believe next year will be the 20th, can hardly wait!

Aissaotu Sunjata

I agree it was a nice show this past year, as was the 2021 show. I am very curious as to how the next pen show fares in Saint Louis with even higher fuel costs and high temperatures.

8 hours ago, fountainpenlady said:

Aissaotu Sunjata78G8

@fountainpenlady

At the time I picked up this hobby, I thought surely around F-Ville there'd be a club -- but after much looking, was shocked to find naught! 

Here's the irony. I was born & reared there. In '71 my job took me away, & I lived 'down east', but in later years visited frequently for medical services thru the VA there.  Thru circumstance, I had practically moved back (helping a sister who'd suffered a stroke), & was there when I 'went Pens'.  I actually saw your Location tag (about Bragg) and thought of trying to contact you (where'd I get 'Lady In Red' from??) .. but just then another family setback changed everything, & we had to resettle up near Charlotte to be near the right medical facilities. 

It was kinda funny -- looked long & hard for other Penners, & just as I finally found a candidate, we had to pull up stakes again! 

And now to find out you were at the TPS same time I was?  Life can be cruel sometimes!  😄

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~     ~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every six months. 

~ 

Hey guys - for those that attended this year's ('22) TPS, I need your help.
I'm trying to identify 2 of the vendors there, their display corner was as follows.
After passing thru the Registration area, and first step thru those double doors and enter the 'Big Room', okay? If you turn to your right & follow the aisle thru those 1st tables, the end of that row on your right was the Pilot display. At that point, without turning, there's a 'booth' of tables straight ahead, nestled back in that corner at the end of that 1st aisle. Those are the 2 ladies I'm trying to find.

They were SUPER nice, and in 5 minutes had solved a near 2-year old problem for me....and more! Almost my primary reason for going to the show in the 1st place - long story! I'm apologizing in advance but I can't remember their names - we lost the magazine I slipped your cards inside! ~:(  And it'd be super-cool if one of you sees this & can respond!  They had short names, dunno why 'Kate' and 'Rose/Rosie'  or 'Barb'...just  off the tip....dangit!

Any help?
TIA!

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~ 

31 minutes ago, Just J said:

Hey guys - for those that attended this year's ('22) TPS, I need your help.
I'm trying to identify 2 of the vendors there, their display corner was as follows.
After passing thru the Registration area, and first step thru those double doors and enter the 'Big Room', okay? If you turn to your right & follow the aisle thru those 1st tables, the end of that row on your right was the Pilot display. At that point, without turning, there's a 'booth' of tables straight ahead, nestled back in that corner at the end of that 1st aisle. Those are the 2 ladies I'm trying to find.

They were SUPER nice, and in 5 minutes had solved a near 2-year old problem for me....and more! Almost my primary reason for going to the show in the 1st place - long story! I'm apologizing in advance but I can't remember their names - we lost the magazine I slipped your cards inside! ~:(  And it'd be super-cool if one of you sees this & can respond!  They had short names, dunno why 'Kate' and 'Rose/Rosie'  or 'Barb'...just  off the tip....dangit!

Any help?
TIA!

Do you mean the ladies that had a lot of ephemera as well as some pens? If so, I am familiar with them and I bought a pen from them in 2021. They like that corner as it has a counter behind the table and they set things on it such as a vintage Waterman pen case and other pen related items for sale. They are originally from the Midwest, but I believe currently live in the Triangle area (they did in 2021). They are not professional dealers, rather hobbyists who were selling off some of their items as many do from time to time, especially as one gets older and changes the focus of one’s hobby.  PM me in and I may be able to relay a message to them from you. I am very hesitant to put anyone’s contact information out there unless they operate a business and I can provide contact information for the business out of respect for their privacy.

That would HAVE to be them, P51....you've described them to a T.  

I'll have to PM you later today (if able!) -- right now up getting ready to leave for a shooting match. Thanks guy!! 

~ 

• 2 weeks later...

TRIANGLE PEN SHOW 3-5 JUNE

My wife & I attended the Triangle Pen Show in Raleigh, North Carolina Saturday & Sunday. It's one of the friendliest pen shows anywhere, and one of the few which still has a pen auction, which we didn't attend. Skipped auction (which I regretted later) & spent Saturday night feasting in a great, home-cooking Nepalese-Tibetan restaurant. At the show, enjoyed catching up with old friends, some of whom were at a show for the first time since Covid. There were repairs by Ron Zorn, lots of vintage from Myk Dangle, Hirsch Davis, and others. Bought pen artist Scott B. Jones's newest book of drawings. Now I have all 4 of his books of remarkable pen & ink drawings. Paul Erano had everything anyone could ask for. Though I have long loved all aspects of vintage pens, recently I have enjoyed meeting people who have started their own companies. Had good conversations with some of them, including Rich Paul of River City Pens and Greg Hardy of Hardy Penwrights, among others. Frank Zhang, founder of Narwhal, and I had several very enjoyable conversations. The retailers had lots of great discounts on current and older models. Here are just a few of some of the interesting pens I saw. A custom urushi-covered Montblanc 149, uncommon blue-black Sheaffers from 1930s-40s (can't recall the name of this material), Hirsch Davis' great English Parker Duofolds & Valentines from 1930s-40s, beautiful new pens from River City Pens. My newest acquisition: dark blue urushi Sailor King of Pen with new-style nib, a trade with an old friend: 2 of my hard-to-find resin KoPs for this new urushi KoP. Scott Jones autographing his 4th book for me.  Hope the photos attach. Thanks for looking.

01413183-7024-4963-A6D7-0DF6B3760B8E (1).JPG

DAE889AB-6A5D-4826-AD6F-A953C84DA5AA (1).JPG

D88A4BF4-3619-4751-974C-38F0002D0735 (1).JPG

BE40B6FD-93D7-48FA-9BB6-42DF1257F871 (1).JPG

D486ADA8-CF70-4DD8-997A-8F54D94761A3 (1).JPG

IMG_0695.jpg