Moonman X1 ― Another Bohême clone

VillersCotterets

Another Bohême clone. This time by Moonman. Retractable nib and cartridge only, just like the original design.

1.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• fabri00

• KaB

• IJKWS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that's a pretty blatant knock-off

I wonder the mechanism is, in terms of smoothness and reliability?

Bill P.

Nice looking pens. But I guess I’m missing something since I don’t see the point in a two stage uncapping process…

I guess I also wouldn’t understand the MB version…

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Where is that twirly clip from? They should have copied a nicer one  :happyberet:

John

If anyone will buy it, I'm interested to know if nib tend to dry fast like the other boheme clones already exsisting.

Thanks.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

Nice looking pens. But I guess I’m missing something since I don’t see the point in a two stage uncapping process…

I guess I also wouldn’t understand the MB version…

Indeed. I don't get the point either. What's the use of a retractable nib when you have a cap anyway. 

Does look nice though...

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

And one more thing: does that mean you have to use the pen posted? (Which I only do with my Kaweco)

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

3 hours ago, KaB said:

Indeed. I don't get the point either. What's the use of a retractable nib when you have a cap anyway. 

Does look nice though...

Nice to know i’m not alone in my confusion :)

On 6/17/2021 at 8:52 PM, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

Nice to know i’m not alone in my confusion :)

I don't know either. When I asked their manager about this, They told me: Maybe because MB is popular.

5 hours ago, IJKWS said:

I don't know either. When I asked their manager about this, They told me: Maybe because MB is popular.

... are you serious?... how does someone who gives an answer THAT dumb to that question end up in a managerial position?... wow... 

8 hours ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

... are you serious?... how does someone who gives an answer THAT dumb to that question end up in a managerial position?... wow... 

I think he just didn't reply me directly  because of their trademark dispute with MB

1 hour ago, IJKWS said:

I think he just didn't reply me directly  because of their trademark dispute with MB

oh, I misunderstood, I though that was a MB Manager's answer for why MB would make the pen! :P 

now his answer doesn't seem stupid, it's a "well, we make copies, so we copied this" kinda answer :) 

Moonman's recent endeavours just leave me with less respect for the brand , I was mean to give them business but they keep reminding me not to. Well .. the money can always be spend somewhere else

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 2:08 AM, Mech-for-i said:

Moonman's recent endeavours just leave me with less respect for the brand , I was mean to give them business but they keep reminding me not to. Well .. the money can always be spend somewhere else

Is this a cartridge only pen?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 1 month later...

The reason for the retractable nib is in the size of the cap. The pen is very short when capped, and a reasonable length when extended and posted.

3 hours ago, shynes said:

The reason for the retractable nib is in the size of the cap. The pen is very short when capped, and a reasonable length when extended and posted.

Some of the Chinese clones has no retractable nib, but cap is very short too.

• 3 months later...

For me I have wanted the Boheme for a long time, so I bought one. I can't afford the Montblanc price tag, but love the mechanics of the retractable nib. The pen was super smooth and has an Architect style nib shape. It does stay wet but it also depends on how dry the ink is. The ink that comes with it is bad, but the cartridge that comes with it is needed as the Standard International ones don't.

With this pen, I'd worry that:

- it'd take way too long to get the pen write-ready

- the little door at the end might easily break off

- I'd create a mess trying to insert a pre-opened, refilled cartridge

- I'd forget the nib must be retracted before closing the cap... (judging from the promo pic, the cap can be unposted while the nib is out)

And it's not even particularly pretty (imo, of course), neither Moonman's copy nor the original. I especially find the clip(s) quite tacky looking.

From my point of view the only good thing is, that it seems to be a short pen.