Replacement Stipula Nibs

kenrapoza

Hi Everyone!

I just received in a new Stipula Adagio (seagreen color, very nice) with a 1.1mm stub nib.  I was having serious flow issues and decided to return it for a new one.  Yafa just sent me the new one and it is also experiencing similar issues.  I've adjusted standard round nibs in the past when it comes to opening up flow and smoothing the tip, but I am having difficulty getting this stub to perform properly.  I'm thinking that I will just get a fine or medium replacement nib and call it a day.  But, I am having trouble finding retailers who sell replacement Stipula nibs.  I would prefer not to get a generic Bock nib, but one that has the Stipula markings on it so I can keep a sense of authenticity with my new pen.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement Stipula-branded nib?

Thanks!

Ken

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kenrapoza

• InesF

• Margalo

• Dione

Hi kenrapoza.

Although I have no direct answer, I like to express my (mental) support. My Stipula Adagio had (and still has) some ink flow issues, it suffers from ink starvation at normal use and shows the signs of ink drying while the cap is closed.

I was not able, so far, to remove the nib+feed for a deep cleaning.

kenrapoza, did you get the unit out?

My guess is, that dust or small particle production residues may block the ink channel.

Asking Stipula caused no response so far.

I'm looking forward to share experiences and to get more detail information.

One life!

I have a Stipula nib but it's steel not gold. Is your nib steel or gold?

Actually, I have a rhodium colored gold Stipula nib too.  That one I forgot about. :blush:

Stipula is a small firm and support is not the best, but if intention is to buy a replacement Stipula nib I would suggest you turn to some of the larger size retail shops in Italy, some of which have good online stores and are easy to contact by email, such as Novelli in Rome or Casa Della Stilografica in Firenze, and ask them. If they don't have the nib themselves they will go through the trouble of tracing one at Stipula for you.

All you need is some patience...

On 6/15/2021 at 5:23 AM, InesF said:

Hi kenrapoza.

Although I have no direct answer, I like to express my (mental) support. My Stipula Adagio had (and still has) some ink flow issues, it suffers from ink starvation at normal use and shows the signs of ink drying while the cap is closed.

I was not able, so far, to remove the nib+feed for a deep cleaning.

kenrapoza, did you get the unit out?

My guess is, that dust or small particle production residues may block the ink channel.

Asking Stipula caused no response so far.

I'm looking forward to share experiences and to get more detail information.

Hi There!

I was able to remove the nib and feed to clean them out, but it didn't help at all.  The Adagio doesn't appear to have a nib unit, they are just friction fit into the section.  In my case I think the issue lies in the nib itself.  I tried to open up the channel a little bit but didn't really have much luck.  Maybe I will try that again.

Ken

On 6/15/2021 at 5:35 AM, Dione said:

I have a Stipula nib but it's steel not gold. Is your nib steel or gold?

Actually, I have a rhodium colored gold Stipula nib too.  That one I forgot about. :blush:

Hi Dione!

Mine is also a steel nib - I believe it is made by Bock.

Ken

On 6/17/2021 at 12:17 AM, kenrapoza said:

I was able to remove the nib and feed to clean them out, but it didn't help at all.  The Adagio doesn't appear to have a nib unit, they are just friction fit into the section.

Ah! That was the info I was hoping for. Thank you!

Mine stucks so hard, I can't find out if turning or pulling is the way to go.

A minor remark: starved ink flow can be caused by a narrow (partly blocked) ink channel or by a narrow air channel - either/or or both. I recommend not to cut, drill etc. at these channels, in most cases it is either a production residue (some small particles, which can fall out unrecognised when open the unit) or these fins or ridges (artefacts from injection molding).

Good luck with your Stipula!

One life!

On 6/16/2021 at 11:24 PM, sansenri said:

Stipula is a small firm and support is not the best, but if intention is to buy a replacement Stipula nib I would suggest you turn to some of the larger size retail shops in Italy, some of which have good online stores and are easy to contact by email, such as Novelli in Rome or Casa Della Stilografica in Firenze, and ask them. If they don't have the nib themselves they will go through the trouble of tracing one at Stipula for you.

All you need is some patience...

Yes, totally right.

I ordered via Casa della Stilographica (great customer service!) but I'm still hoping to solve the problem by myself. I see the long way back is the last option.

One life!

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to follow-up and let you all know that I was able to resolve this through the dealer, Pen Chalet.  They don't normally carry replacement nibs from Stipula but they contacted the US distributor and arranged for me to purchase one and have it shipped directly to me.  I was pretty happy with their customer service!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 3:38 AM, InesF said:

Ah! That was the info I was hoping for. Thank you!

Mine stucks so hard, I can't find out if turning or pulling is the way to go.

A minor remark: starved ink flow can be caused by a narrow (partly blocked) ink channel or by a narrow air channel - either/or or both. I recommend not to cut, drill etc. at these channels, in most cases it is either a production residue (some small particles, which can fall out unrecognised when open the unit) or these fins or ridges (artefacts from injection molding).

Good luck with your Stipula!

Hi Ines,

I was actually wrong about this - it is a removable nib unit!  In the first pen I got the unit was in there so tight, and it was so hard to see, that I thought it was just friction fit right into the section and removed it that way.  However, my replacement came the other day and turns out it was in a removable unit in a clear housing.  With my second pen I was able to twist out the unit and replace it with the new one - but you had to be very careful of the o-ring.  It's so tight that the o-ring will want to "squeeze out" as you thread in the unit so you have to manage that.

Ken

• 5 months later...

I read this topic with great interest, as I ordered the Sea Green Stipula Adagio at the end of November and have been in despair with it ever since I unboxed it. I've tried cleaning it and changing inks (Private Reserve Blue Suede, Lamy Peridot) and even bought a pen flush from Goulet and thought I was giving it a thorough cleaning. Then WEIRDLY today, after the water expelled was running very faintly blue, almost clear, ink started pouring out of the top piston knob. It gushed. Recleaned, and set it on a towel to finish drying--picked it up again AGAIN there was ink leaking from the piston knob. I have NO clue why or how this could be as I can't quite make out what's going on inside that closed system. It was my first leap up from $30 starter pens so I am too new to know if it's a glitch in the pen (i.e., it's a lemon) or something I can correct.

I am reaching out to Goulet for guidance because it was too much of an investment for me to just write off.

Edited to add: the problem from the start has been ink flow--hard starts, skipping or no flow at all.

Edited by Margalo
original problem

On 1/26/2022 at 1:32 PM, Margalo said:

I read this topic with great interest, as I ordered the Sea Green Stipula Adagio at the end of November and have been in despair with it ever since I unboxed it. I've tried cleaning it and changing inks (Private Reserve Blue Suede, Lamy Peridot) and even bought a pen flush from Goulet and thought I was giving it a thorough cleaning. Then WEIRDLY today, after the water expelled was running very faintly blue, almost clear, ink started pouring out of the top piston knob. It gushed. Recleaned, and set it on a towel to finish drying--picked it up again AGAIN there was ink leaking from the piston knob. I have NO clue why or how this could be as I can't quite make out what's going on inside that closed system. It was my first leap up from $30 starter pens so I am too new to know if it's a glitch in the pen (i.e., it's a lemon) or something I can correct.

I am reaching out to Goulet for guidance because it was too much of an investment for me to just write off.

Edited to add: the problem from the start has been ink flow--hard starts, skipping or no flow at all.

Hi Margalo,

If I were you, I would have Goulet replace the pen for you.  There should never be ink coming from the piston knob - I would call this one a lemon!  My Adagio has been great since I replaced the nib, not other ink flow issues.  If you're having a problem with the piston then it's best to just return it rather than try and fix it yourself.  You might not be able to resolve the problem and end up with a voided warranty.

Ken

Thanks for weighing in, Ken--you are exactly right. At first the photos I sent Goulet indicated that the tines were too close together, but once the customer service rep heard that ink was leaking from the piston knob, tuning was off the table and they immediately offered to send me a mailing label to return the pen. (How great are the folks at Goulet? Simply amazing customer support.) So now I have a credit and can daydream about how to spend it sometime in the future, and an unusable pen no longer languishes in my pen box. Whew!