Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Montblanc Hemingway - over $3000?


kamog

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, agentdaffy007 said:

@dmvara, that pen looks well used. Not at all gently used.

 

I once bought a used MB JP Morgan from eBay. The pen did not look like the pictures and it had pitting in the cap as well. I returned it right away. 2 days later, I bought a BNIB MB JP Morgan for less than the one I paid on eBay. Sometimes, things just work out.

 

@Wael El-Dasher, I do not care about the MB Hemingway but the pen looks so good with the cigars!! I think I will light a nice Montecristo tonight.

Thanks!!  I’m glad to hear that. Thought I was just being too picky.  Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Wael El-Dasher

    14

  • torstar

    13

  • bunnspecial

    7

  • dmvara

    22

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry it didn’t work out — but, if you are not happy you made the right decision. There will be another opportunity (or a Dumas). It is not uncommon to see one or two Hemingway’s at the DC Pen Show. A pen show, not necessarily the one in DC, may be another good option for you to fine one. 
 

I have been keeping mine inked with MB Homer Blue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Toll said:

Sorry it didn’t work out — but, if you are not happy you made the right decision. There will be another opportunity (or a Dumas). It is not uncommon to see one or two Hemingway’s at the DC Pen Show. A pen show, not necessarily the one in DC, may be another good option for you to fine one. 
 

I have been keeping mine inked with MB Homer Blue. 

It's quite alright.  And as you say, there will always be others.  I am going to set my sites on a Dumas for now.  The Hemingway is just too expensive for a perfect one and I can't stomach it.  Dumas is a little more reasonable IMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, dmvara said:

Well, I opted to return it.  I think I am just too picky as you can tell from the photos I have provided.  I guess I was a little let down when the seller told me it spent most of the time in the box, but IMHO it was used more than what he claimed.  That is what I get for buying from someone who does not specialize in pens.  He was probably a reseller based on his feedback, but I trusted him because it was 100%.  And the nib has more fading than I would have liked so back it goes.  And even the orange barrel had some nicks that I could see and feel, but of course hard to capture in a photo. The other issue is that for a little more I could have bought a new one.  Ultimately, I think I like the shape and feel of it, but in my mind I just cannot justify that kind of price for a used pen.  And if I want a perfect pen I would need to drop some serious cash and I just can't.  

I am going to look at the Dumas as I think that is honestly more my speed.  I really like the look of black on my pens and I guess when I got the Hemingway  it was the shape like the vintage MB that really had me fascinated and not so much the color contrast.  So that's my take on this transaction.  The good thing is I can send it back.  The only way I would justify getting a used hemingway would be if I could get one for under $1000 with some flaws and we all know that will not happen.  With what I paid for mine and the seller telling me it was ever so gently used (not really) I cannot justify keeping it.

 

thanks to all...now on to a hunt for a Dumas!!🥳

44.JPG

55.JPG

333.JPG

fff.JPG


I do not know how much you paid for it, but surely it does not seem a pen that spent most of its life in a box, unless the few times it has been used it was utilized in a quite rude way.

Giving the current prices of the Hemingway, I agree that is not fine paying too much money for a pen with so evident signs of use. 
Plus, if you are not sold on the orange body, probably the Hemingway is not your cup of tea…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an opportunity yesterday to buy a Hemingway ballpoint with no box or papers and in similar condition as that fountain pen you got, for $700. It was the store owners personal pen. I was very tempted because it seemed like a fair price and I don’t care much for box and papers. I can turn around and sell it for that same amount later if I decide not to keep it. Problem is, as much as I like the Hemingway ballpoint, I would have felt inclined to buy the fountain pen too. Didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole again so I bought the Proust ballpoint instead that was lightly used with box & papers for $1,100, which is a decent price, not a bargain but I felt okay because I’m supporting one of the few great local pen shops in town. 
 

Depending on what that Hemingway cost you, I would make that decision. The scratches wouldn’t bother me too much if I knew it was fairly priced because I can buff them out gently. Plus they do add character and speak of the pens history 

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, agentdaffy007 said:

@dmvara, that pen looks well used. Not at all gently used.

 

I once bought a used MB JP Morgan from eBay. The pen did not look like the pictures and it had pitting in the cap as well. I returned it right away. 2 days later, I bought a BNIB MB JP Morgan for less than the one I paid on eBay. Sometimes, things just work out.

 

@Wael El-Dasher, I do not care about the MB Hemingway but the pen looks so good with the cigars!! I think I will light a nice Montecristo tonight.

@agentdaffy007,

 

Regarding the condition of @dmvara pen, I would say the Hemingway wasn’t really the sort of pen people kept in display cases. I equate it to a Rolex GMT watch (1675 through 16710) where there were simply tool watches and were discounted too. People bought them to use and the vast majority of them for sale now are no where near pristine or in LNIB condition. They wear the heavy scars of use and time, and if you polish them they lose tremendous value. People want that patina, they want the history and journey these watches endured over the years. At least in my mind that’s what they want 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who know, I could be totally wrong.
 

As we all know, the Hemingway was a heavily discounted pen that didn’t sell well for a few years and people just used it. With time, it started being appreciated. I feel it’s quintessentially as close to a perfect Montblanc modern pen as can be had. From the gentle flared profile of the coral barrel to the contrasting ink window (when inked) to the aged tie clip and the beautifully executed step down filler knob with a fine coin edge and the off white snowflake…it’s perfect. Even the bands are aged in a non uniform way from the factory. I honestly don’t know how they did it. I’ve seen bead blasted and glass blasted finishes, but I’ve never seen it done with such variation from the factory so it’s not evenly uniform. It’s the sort of detailing that’s so subtle, like two weaves of white on a napkin. 
 

Thats the reality in my mind. Obviously real life might be different and if the pen was priced and sold as something and it was something else, then that’s an issue. If that pen was described and priced in accordance to the current market place, then I don’t see anything wrong with it. 
 

On another more important note. Hope you enjoyed ur cigar with a lovely Scotch! 
 

Cheers

 

W

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fpupulin said:


I do not know how much you paid for it, but surely it does not seem a pen that spent most of its life in a box, unless the few times it has been used it was utilized in a quite rude way.

Giving the current prices of the Hemingway, I agree that is not fine paying too much money for a pen with so evident signs of use. 
Plus, if you are not sold on the orange body, probably the Hemingway is not your cup of tea…

Yes, that pen is just not for me.  I am more enamored by the design than the color so for sure it had to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

I had an opportunity yesterday to buy a Hemingway ballpoint with no box or papers and in similar condition as that fountain pen you got, for $700. It was the store owners personal pen. I was very tempted because it seemed like a fair price and I don’t care much for box and papers. I can turn around and sell it for that same amount later if I decide not to keep it. Problem is, as much as I like the Hemingway ballpoint, I would have felt inclined to buy the fountain pen too. Didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole again so I bought the Proust ballpoint instead that was lightly used with box & papers for $1,100, which is a decent price, not a bargain but I felt okay because I’m supporting one of the few great local pen shops in town. 
 

Depending on what that Hemingway cost you, I would make that decision. The scratches wouldn’t bother me too much if I knew it was fairly priced because I can buff them out gently. Plus they do add character and speak of the pens history 

I paid too much for it and that is why it went back.  It cost me like $2800 after everything was said and done and that pen is not worth that much too me.  I weren't overboard with the fever of the buy and the hunt.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  I have my sites set on a proust and a dumas for now,  I love the shape and I am more enamored with dark tones on a FP.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

I had an opportunity yesterday to buy a Hemingway ballpoint with no box or papers and in similar condition as that fountain pen you got, for $700. It was the store owners personal pen. I was very tempted because it seemed like a fair price and I don’t care much for box and papers. I can turn around and sell it for that same amount later if I decide not to keep it. Problem is, as much as I like the Hemingway ballpoint, I would have felt inclined to buy the fountain pen too. Didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole again so I bought the Proust ballpoint instead that was lightly used with box & papers for $1,100, which is a decent price, not a bargain but I felt okay because I’m supporting one of the few great local pen shops in town. 
 

Depending on what that Hemingway cost you, I would make that decision. The scratches wouldn’t bother me too much if I knew it was fairly priced because I can buff them out gently. Plus they do add character and speak of the pens history 

Congrats on the Proust. Yes, that is a pretty good deal.  I wish there were local pen dealers in my area.  I have to resort to ebay and that is sometimes hit and miss.  If the Hemingway that I bought was around what you paid for the Proust then it would have been no brainer and part of my collection.  It's condition was just not worthy of a $2800 price tag.  Ouch.🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmvara said:

I paid too much for it and that is why it went back.  It cost me like $2800 after everything was said and done and that pen is not worth that much too me.  I weren't overboard with the fever of the buy and the hunt.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  I have my sites set on a proust and a dumas for now,  I love the shape and I am more enamored with dark tones on a FP.  

That’s great that you’re starting to narrow down what you like. Subconsciously you’re prioritizing the features and design parameters that appeal to ur sensibilities and order of importance. That local pen shop actually had a Dumas ballpoint in the oversized large packaging (father signature) that comes with the letter and all that hoopla, for just $700. It was beautiful. I was also tempted. If interested, I can share their contact info. No Dumas fountain pen that I saw on the shelf but they had so many of the WE and POA pens. I was told not everything was on display. 
 

The ballpoint looked new to me. They also had a Hemingway ballpoint sealed in box. Both signature seals were unbroken. There was probably about 50 discontinued WE and POA pens on the shelf. 


The other suggestion I have is contact Bryant Greer at Pentime and tell him what you’re looking for and he’ll source it for you. Give it time and he comes through. His pricing has always been fair and always less than eBay. 
 

cheers

 

W.

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmvara said:
3 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

I paid too much for it and that is why it went back.  It cost me like $2800 after everything was said and done and that pen is not worth that much too me.  I weren't overboard with the fever of the buy and the hunt.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  I have my sites set on a proust and a dumas for now,  I love the shape and I am more enamored with dark tones on a FP.  

 

I'd have done exactly what you did.

 

NIB seem to be reaching $4K now, but for ~$3K I suspect you could find one that had been used gently.

 

I WANT a Hemingway, and maybe my expectations are unrealistic but I might be satisfied with the one you bought had I been able to get it for $1500 or so. Not sure if that will ever happen, but one can dream...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements


  • Most Contributions

    1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
      37784
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
      30908
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
      28220
    4. jar
      jar
      26101
    5. wimg
      wimg
      25595
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Comments

    • Matthew TWP
      @Ruaidhri This was an absolutely wonderful bit of writing, and I hope that you're able to maintain the style once all of the medications are out of your system.  Take care and recover quickly!
    • Dr.X
      Very punny daniel
    • danielfalgerho
      These comments make me sad as I sympathise with Ruaidhri, having great difficulties in being taken seriously. Or being taken at all (no off-colors jokes, please!) In spite of overwhelming odds,  Ruaidhri -now I know how to spell it- made a courageous decision and stuck to it. I was diagnosed with a similar growth in a place I will not reveal. Oh, well, if you insist it was Mount Sinai Hospital. But I firmly intend to walk in Ruaidhri's footsteps, if he will let me, on my next visit to Dublin.
    • ParramattaPaul
      Reminds me of the day my associates and I developed a cure for all mankind's ills and mistakenly wrote it down with invisible ink.
    • AnneD
      Was that the end of the Laboratory? Somehow the exactitude created a fully destructive device, as always!
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Expiring Soon

    • By benbot517
      51 years and 11 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 11 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 11 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 11 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 11 months
  • Random Adverts

    • By deltac13
      51 years and 11 months
    • By chumpowie
      51 years and 11 months
    • By stanv
      51 years and 11 months
    • By mr_mbp
      EXPIRED
    • By dwwst12
      51 years and 11 months
  • Files

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. amper
      amper
      (53 years old)
    2. AndrewCooper
      AndrewCooper
      (65 years old)
    3. anuvratfpn
      anuvratfpn
      (27 years old)
    4. bittersweetfarm
      bittersweetfarm
      (59 years old)
    5. caranacas
      caranacas
      (33 years old)





×
×
  • Create New...