Montblanc Hemingway - over $3000?

kamog

4 hours ago, dmvara said:

Well my hunt is over. I snagged one on eBay today. Might have paid a tad More than necessary. It’s preowned and the seller said it’s been babied so we shall see when it arrives. Pretty excited!

Congratulations! Use it in good health. 

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmvara

• Wael El-Dasher

• torstar

• kamog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, dmvara said:

Thanks!!  I am super excited!

I can’t imagine you will be disappointed. Share photos and let us know what you think about it. 

10 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

Congratulations! Use it in good health. 

cheers

Wael

Thanks  so much!  I am pretty excited.

7 hours ago, Toll said:

I can’t imagine you will be disappointed. Share photos and let us know what you think about it. 

I will definitely post photos once it arrives.

21 hours ago, dmvara said:

Well my hunt is over. I snagged one on eBay today. Might have paid a tad More than necessary. It’s preowned and the seller said it’s been babied so we shall see when it arrives. Pretty excited!

Awesome!

Let us know how it goes, and enjoy!

1 hour ago, bunnspecial said:

Excited to hear you got one! I'm anxiously awaiting a report also.

Thanks!  The seller overnighted it to me and it's at work awaiting pickup.  I'll snag it tomorrow when I get to work and post pictures tomorrow.  Super stoked!

59 minutes ago, dmvara said:

Thanks!  The seller overnighted it to me and it's at work awaiting pickup.  I'll snag it tomorrow when I get to work and post pictures tomorrow.  Super stoked!

Any idea what ink brand and color will you use?

2 hours ago, Toll said:

Any idea what ink brand and color will you use?

Hmm.  I have not thought of that just yet.  I am no expert when it comes to  the brand of ink that should be used on a MB pen.  I did purchase some stunning ink from goulet and there is one that is a wine color that is absolutely amazing!  It just pops.  I am just not into black, which is just too boring.  I also prefer different shades of blue, but for sure I will tinker with some of the inks I got from Goulet.  There is also a somewhat dark green shade I purchased from them that is also very pleasing to the eye.  Any advice would be appreciated. 😃

Maybe a boring answer, but when I get a new old pen I almost always toss Waterman Blue in it to start. Nearly every pen I own has been filled with Waterman Blue at some point.

Yes, it's not an overly exciting ink, but if it won't write with that ink I know the pen has a problem. Since I've written with it enough, I have an idea of what I want it to look like on the paper and I can spot what might be some more subtle issues with the pen. Even though I'd feel okay with a Hemingway getting any ink I'd put in a 149(and not much is off limits for me there other than that infamous iridescent blue known by the nickname of the state in which it's made), I also know that Waterman is safe in anything from 100 year old sac pens to current. As an added benefit, if the pen leaks or has another issue, at least Waterman blue won't make a mess.

All of that aside, I'd have a hard time not jumping straight to an exciting ink with a pen like the Hemingway. My hands would probably reach for Penman Sapphire, but that almost seems too mundane for something like this.

What colors do you have? A fun and interesting blue I feel like is never a bad choice.

@bunnspecial's suggestion is sensible and logical, but if I had the good fortune to acquire a Heminway I'd throw caution to the wind and load it up with KWZ El Dorado. Woo Hoo!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Another upvote for the tried, tested and true Waterman inks.

They did put some elan and pizzazz into the brand with new names like Serenity (NOW!!!!) Blue or something like that...  :D

1 hour ago, torstar said:

Another upvote for the tried, tested and true Waterman inks.

They did put some elan and pizzazz into the brand with new names like Serenity (NOW!!!!) Blue or something like that...  :D

Call me stubborn but I liked the exotic, reassuring nautical names of the old inks.

They'll always be Florida Blue, South Seas Blue, and Havana Brown to me. I'm just sorry I don't have a bottle that says Havana Brown.

1 hour ago, bunnspecial said:

Call me stubborn but I liked the exotic, reassuring nautical names of the old inks.

They'll always be Florida Blue, South Seas Blue, and Havana Brown to me. I'm just sorry I don't have a bottle that says Havana Brown.

I agree, same ink, lame name change...

Found some cool old photos of my Hemingway with my favorite cigar at the time, also a Hemingway. 

DSCN3645.JPG

DSCN3646.JPG

DSCN3647.JPG

DSCN3649.JPG

DSCN3632.JPG

Funnily enough I was about to say that my Hemingway is most often filled with MB Purdey Cigar or whisky - just feels right somehow..

On 12/2/2021 at 2:01 PM, dmvara said:

@dmvara,

Curious to see the pen and ur feedback. Hope you received it and busy enjoying it.

cheers

W

Well, I opted to return it.  I think I am just too picky as you can tell from the photos I have provided.  I guess I was a little let down when the seller told me it spent most of the time in the box, but IMHO it was used more than what he claimed.  That is what I get for buying from someone who does not specialize in pens.  He was probably a reseller based on his feedback, but I trusted him because it was 100%.  And the nib has more fading than I would have liked so back it goes.  And even the orange barrel had some nicks that I could see and feel, but of course hard to capture in a photo. The other issue is that for a little more I could have bought a new one.  Ultimately, I think I like the shape and feel of it, but in my mind I just cannot justify that kind of price for a used pen.  And if I want a perfect pen I would need to drop some serious cash and I just can't.  

I am going to look at the Dumas as I think that is honestly more my speed.  I really like the look of black on my pens and I guess when I got the Hemingway  it was the shape like the vintage MB that really had me fascinated and not so much the color contrast.  So that's my take on this transaction.  The good thing is I can send it back.  The only way I would justify getting a used hemingway would be if I could get one for under $1000 with some flaws and we all know that will not happen.  With what I paid for mine and the seller telling me it was ever so gently used (not really) I cannot justify keeping it.

thanks to all...now on to a hunt for a Dumas!!🥳

44.JPG

55.JPG

333.JPG

fff.JPG

On 12/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, bunnspecial said:

I just don’t understand why they got rid of Havana Brown. I think I’m going to save my bottle to refill whenever it’s finally done.

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

@dmvara, that pen looks well used. Not at all gently used.

I once bought a used MB JP Morgan from eBay. The pen did not look like the pictures and it had pitting in the cap as well. I returned it right away. 2 days later, I bought a BNIB MB JP Morgan for less than the one I paid on eBay. Sometimes, things just work out.

@Wael El-Dasher, I do not care about the MB Hemingway but the pen looks so good with the cigars!! I think I will light a nice Montecristo tonight.