Montblanc Hemingway - over $3000?

kamog

I want a Hemingway FP too, but, prices are way to high for me right now. So, sadly, I have invested in a a fw MB 149 pens, 4 to be precise, all made in the late 1980s and 2 made in the early to mid 1990s.  Maybe someday I will be able to afford an Alexander Dumas FP, or the Hemingway FP.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmvara

• Wael El-Dasher

• torstar

• kamog

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The price that the Hemingway goes for these days reflects the mentality of the completest/collector "I have one that I will keep in the box and never use" folks, the same impulse that makes Star Wars collectors shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars for rare Kenner figures that are still blister packed or AFA graded.  The fact that the Hemingway ballpoint is starting to creep over US$2000 is proof of that. Anybody who like myself wants a Hemingway to actually use and write with (and doesn't care about having the packaging) gave up on the pen years ago. 

• 4 months later...

I am looking for a Hemingway too and the prices are just crazy for a new one.  For sure used is the way to go.  So I see some have the signature that is actually accentuated with a visible gold color and others don't.  Which one is more rare?  Sorry for the question.  Now back to hunting for the elusive Hemingway in a M.  Cheers!

It is a unique model, the 139???   My experience with a dozen or so were all 146s.

As the market is getting these prices, I assume it is one of the best of the Writer LEs, I put my Proust up on this pedestal as well.

There are many great writing LEs that did not take off in the collecting marking $-wise; if in the market I would purchase a Schiller for daily use.

{Don't send credit card info if they promise you a Hemingway or Carnegie for $25...}

1 hour ago, torstar said:

It is a unique model, the 139???   My experience with a dozen or so were all 146s.

I thought the Hemingway had a #9 nib(like a 149) in a body that was reminiscent of the 139?

Color aside, they certainly look like a 139.

45 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

I thought the Hemingway had a #9 nib(like a 149) in a body that was reminiscent of the 139?

Color aside, they certainly look like a 139.

Fair enough, I would gladly be corrected by those with more knowledge, I am sure I will learn a lot today  :D

Grateful I got the Proust for less than list price at the time...

On 7/6/2021 at 7:56 PM, KAC said:

Like Frank C., I purchased my Hemingway new. It seemed to be a flop when it came out, because I paid $400 and the store acknowledged "these are not moving". Also like Frank C., the homage to the 139 design with the interesting color scheme appealed to me...and it still does.

At that time, MB readily (and promptly) ground nibs "to spec": I had an oblique medium made by the factory for my pen at no added cost. I kept the box, papers, booklet and so on but - as I knew I would never part with it - I had my name engraved by the factory (also for free) on the cap.

This pen served as my daily writer for at least a decade and now - because of lack of parts availability and cost - I only use it at home. Nonetheless, it's my favorite MB pen and the only modern one (aside from a 90th/149) I own.

The Hemingway is lovely. I like the 149 even more. 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, SpecTP said:

I have 2x 'standard' 149's, one from the 80's and one from the 90's. both have been serviced by MB so some parts don't match up to the original, but both are excellent pens. I also have a 149 calligraphy pending delivery.

I’ll second that. I picked up a vintage 149 to accompany my 149 calligraphy and my 146 calligraphy. The Hemingway is just soooo steep right now. I’d have to sell a spare lung to get a new one. Just can’t stomach $3k. That’s just me. LOFL!

On 7/7/2021 at 3:38 PM, markofp said:

The price that the Hemingway goes for these days reflects the mentality of the completest/collector "I have one that I will keep in the box and never use" folks, the same impulse that makes Star Wars collectors shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars for rare Kenner figures that are still blister packed or AFA graded.  The fact that the Hemingway ballpoint is starting to creep over US$2000 is proof of that. Anybody who like myself wants a Hemingway to actually use and write with (and doesn't care about having the packaging) gave up on the pen years ago. 

Yep. Agree. It’s just plain dumb. I was talking to Eddie at Airline Int and the prices that collectors are asking is ludicrous. And it’s silly how they keep them sealed. They probably have them in a vault. A true waste. Pens were meant to be appreciated and used imho. 

When I bought my Hemingway many years ago, it was used but mint and paid $2500 for it. I spent another $700 on a 1950’s vintage 149 nib and had that installed. It was a lovely pen but I found myself using the Proust a lot more or the 139. I eventually sold it when I lost all interest in fountain pens about 9 years ago. I don’t consider $3k to be too much for a clean example. Remember that 1992 is almost 30 years ago! I know there are many here, including myself, that often feel that the 90’s was like yesterday. 

cheer

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

7 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

When I bought my Hemingway many years ago, it was used but mint and paid $2500 for it. I spent another $700 on a 1950’s vintage 149 nib and had that installed. It was a lovely pen but I found myself using the Proust a lot more or the 139. I eventually sold it when I lost all interest in fountain pens about 9 years ago. I don’t consider $3k to be too much for a clean example. Remember that 1992 is almost 30 years ago! I know there are many here, including myself, that often feel that the 90’s was like yesterday. 

cheer

Wael

Interesting POV. Yes, I guess you do make a valid argument for a new one at that price. It’s the rarity that makes it so expensive. If they were all over the web you could easily get one for a song and dance and still have some cash leftover for other things. Interesting that you did a nib swap.  So then did you have to send it to a FP shop for the swap or was it simple to just do on your own?  I have a vintage 149 and I could easily swap out a F nib if I found a more affordable used Hemingway. Thanks for sharing. 

cheers!

12 hours ago, dmvara said:

Yep. Agree. It’s just plain dumb. I was talking to Eddie at Airline Int and the prices that collectors are asking is ludicrous. And it’s silly how they keep them sealed. They probably have them in a vault. A true waste. Pens were meant to be appreciated and used imho. 

I like what you say.... however....

Supply and demand, tastes, fads, who can control it?

I wish I had bought 2 at the time, one for a warhorse at home, the other kept sealed to help pay for my estate costs.

So I beseech you, what is so great about the Hemingway, if you have and use and love it?

(The Proust is fine looking to the eyes, the cap screws on to post a perfectly balanced pen, expanding the size of the 146 to fit my large hand, writes like a charm and it's freaking Proust we're talking about here... which means a heck of a lot for my cultural enjoyment...)

1 hour ago, torstar said:

I like what you say.... however....

Supply and demand, tastes, fads, who can control it?

I wish I had bought 2 at the time, one for a warhorse at home, the other kept sealed to help pay for my estate costs.

Yup. An excellent idea. Too bad no one can ever predict how much value anything will hold later down the line. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a Hemingway.  There is always hope. Lol

As I have posted elsewhere, I bought one in December 2019, pre-owned, for $1,800 (no box or papers) from a well known pen store.  I have always admired the form of the pen and the color of the barrel. Plus, I am very much a fan of the writings of Hemingway. I have not been disappointed—great size and feel in the hand and a wonderful, wet nib. It is one of my favorite pens. 

40 minutes ago, Toll said:

As I have posted elsewhere, I bought one in December 2019, pre-owned, for $1,800 (no box or papers) from a well known pen store.  I have always admired the form of the pen and the color of the barrel. Plus, I am very much a fan of the writings of Hemingway. I have not been disappointed—great size and feel in the hand and a wonderful, wet nib. It is one of my favorite pens. 

I was afraid of a great review like this :D

I'm not a Hemigway superfan; Poe, Proust and Wilde are the 3 that would draw me by the wallet, but the Poe & Wilde are less a work of art (to me) than the Proust, and the Poe had an untimely demise... nevermore.... :(

So can you do a straight nib swap from the 149 to the Hemingway?  I am tossing around some ideas if I cannot find a used one with a M nib. Thanks fellas.

Having neither the tools nor the experience, I recently paid to have nib swapped on a 149.

Add lightness and simplicate.

5 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Having neither the tools nor the experience, I recently paid to have nib swapped on a 149.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

On 11/25/2021 at 7:24 AM, dmvara said:

Interesting POV. Yes, I guess you do make a valid argument for a new one at that price. It’s the rarity that makes it so expensive. If they were all over the web you could easily get one for a song and dance and still have some cash leftover for other things. Interesting that you did a nib swap.  So then did you have to send it to a FP shop for the swap or was it simple to just do on your own?  I have a vintage 149 and I could easily swap out a F nib if I found a more affordable used Hemingway. Thanks for sharing. 

cheers!

dmvara,

Although I bought all the tools from penboard, I felt uncomfortable doing the nib swap myself. If I recall correctly, I sent it to Max to do the nib swap as he has the 1950's 149 nib already. I also wanted to seat the nib a little higher on the feed, like the 139's used to have their nibs seated. So the ink flow had to be adjusted and preferred to leave it to someone what can do this work, test it and send it back ready for use. I know myself, I tend to over torque things and habitually break items by trying to do a good job :)

I sold this pen, a few years later, to a good friend and I'm confident he's enjoying it very much still.

For my daily use, the Proust is a better pen as I have to switch from writing, noting, drawing and highlighting construction documents all the time, so I don't have time to constantly cap the pen. The constant opening and closing takes too long when I'm working fast. The Proust is light, has threads on the back for posting (if I so choose) and the octagonal barrel sleeve stops it from rolling. That in particular makes it very useful for fast work. 

Cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”