Montblanc Hemingway - over $3000?

kamog

1 minute ago, agentdaffy007 said:

@dmvara, that pen looks well used. Not at all gently used.

I once bought a used MB JP Morgan from eBay. The pen did not look like the pictures and it had pitting in the cap as well. I returned it right away. 2 days later, I bought a BNIB MB JP Morgan for less than the one I paid on eBay. Sometimes, things just work out.

@Wael El-Dasher, I do not care about the MB Hemingway but the pen looks so good with the cigars!! I think I will light a nice Montecristo tonight.

Thanks!!  I’m glad to hear that. Thought I was just being too picky.  Cheers!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmvara

• Wael El-Dasher

• torstar

• bunnspecial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry it didn’t work out — but, if you are not happy you made the right decision. There will be another opportunity (or a Dumas). It is not uncommon to see one or two Hemingway’s at the DC Pen Show. A pen show, not necessarily the one in DC, may be another good option for you to fine one. 

I have been keeping mine inked with MB Homer Blue. 

47 minutes ago, Toll said:

Sorry it didn’t work out — but, if you are not happy you made the right decision. There will be another opportunity (or a Dumas). It is not uncommon to see one or two Hemingway’s at the DC Pen Show. A pen show, not necessarily the one in DC, may be another good option for you to fine one. 

I have been keeping mine inked with MB Homer Blue. 

It's quite alright.  And as you say, there will always be others.  I am going to set my sites on a Dumas for now.  The Hemingway is just too expensive for a perfect one and I can't stomach it.  Dumas is a little more reasonable IMHO.

18 hours ago, dmvara said:

Well, I opted to return it.  I think I am just too picky as you can tell from the photos I have provided.  I guess I was a little let down when the seller told me it spent most of the time in the box, but IMHO it was used more than what he claimed.  That is what I get for buying from someone who does not specialize in pens.  He was probably a reseller based on his feedback, but I trusted him because it was 100%.  And the nib has more fading than I would have liked so back it goes.  And even the orange barrel had some nicks that I could see and feel, but of course hard to capture in a photo. The other issue is that for a little more I could have bought a new one.  Ultimately, I think I like the shape and feel of it, but in my mind I just cannot justify that kind of price for a used pen.  And if I want a perfect pen I would need to drop some serious cash and I just can't.  

I am going to look at the Dumas as I think that is honestly more my speed.  I really like the look of black on my pens and I guess when I got the Hemingway  it was the shape like the vintage MB that really had me fascinated and not so much the color contrast.  So that's my take on this transaction.  The good thing is I can send it back.  The only way I would justify getting a used hemingway would be if I could get one for under $1000 with some flaws and we all know that will not happen.  With what I paid for mine and the seller telling me it was ever so gently used (not really) I cannot justify keeping it.

thanks to all...now on to a hunt for a Dumas!!🥳

44.JPG

55.JPG

333.JPG

fff.JPG

I do not know how much you paid for it, but surely it does not seem a pen that spent most of its life in a box, unless the few times it has been used it was utilized in a quite rude way.

Giving the current prices of the Hemingway, I agree that is not fine paying too much money for a pen with so evident signs of use. 
Plus, if you are not sold on the orange body, probably the Hemingway is not your cup of tea…

I had an opportunity yesterday to buy a Hemingway ballpoint with no box or papers and in similar condition as that fountain pen you got, for $700. It was the store owners personal pen. I was very tempted because it seemed like a fair price and I don’t care much for box and papers. I can turn around and sell it for that same amount later if I decide not to keep it. Problem is, as much as I like the Hemingway ballpoint, I would have felt inclined to buy the fountain pen too. Didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole again so I bought the Proust ballpoint instead that was lightly used with box & papers for $1,100, which is a decent price, not a bargain but I felt okay because I’m supporting one of the few great local pen shops in town. 

Depending on what that Hemingway cost you, I would make that decision. The scratches wouldn’t bother me too much if I knew it was fairly priced because I can buff them out gently. Plus they do add character and speak of the pens history 

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

20 hours ago, agentdaffy007 said:

@dmvara, that pen looks well used. Not at all gently used.

I once bought a used MB JP Morgan from eBay. The pen did not look like the pictures and it had pitting in the cap as well. I returned it right away. 2 days later, I bought a BNIB MB JP Morgan for less than the one I paid on eBay. Sometimes, things just work out.

@Wael El-Dasher, I do not care about the MB Hemingway but the pen looks so good with the cigars!! I think I will light a nice Montecristo tonight.

@agentdaffy007,

Regarding the condition of @dmvara pen, I would say the Hemingway wasn’t really the sort of pen people kept in display cases. I equate it to a Rolex GMT watch (1675 through 16710) where there were simply tool watches and were discounted too. People bought them to use and the vast majority of them for sale now are no where near pristine or in LNIB condition. They wear the heavy scars of use and time, and if you polish them they lose tremendous value. People want that patina, they want the history and journey these watches endured over the years. At least in my mind that’s what they want 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who know, I could be totally wrong.

As we all know, the Hemingway was a heavily discounted pen that didn’t sell well for a few years and people just used it. With time, it started being appreciated. I feel it’s quintessentially as close to a perfect Montblanc modern pen as can be had. From the gentle flared profile of the coral barrel to the contrasting ink window (when inked) to the aged tie clip and the beautifully executed step down filler knob with a fine coin edge and the off white snowflake…it’s perfect. Even the bands are aged in a non uniform way from the factory. I honestly don’t know how they did it. I’ve seen bead blasted and glass blasted finishes, but I’ve never seen it done with such variation from the factory so it’s not evenly uniform. It’s the sort of detailing that’s so subtle, like two weaves of white on a napkin. 

Thats the reality in my mind. Obviously real life might be different and if the pen was priced and sold as something and it was something else, then that’s an issue. If that pen was described and priced in accordance to the current market place, then I don’t see anything wrong with it. 

On another more important note. Hope you enjoyed ur cigar with a lovely Scotch! 

Cheers

W

2 hours ago, fpupulin said:

I do not know how much you paid for it, but surely it does not seem a pen that spent most of its life in a box, unless the few times it has been used it was utilized in a quite rude way.

Giving the current prices of the Hemingway, I agree that is not fine paying too much money for a pen with so evident signs of use. 
Plus, if you are not sold on the orange body, probably the Hemingway is not your cup of tea…

Yes, that pen is just not for me.  I am more enamored by the design than the color so for sure it had to go.

2 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

I had an opportunity yesterday to buy a Hemingway ballpoint with no box or papers and in similar condition as that fountain pen you got, for $700. It was the store owners personal pen. I was very tempted because it seemed like a fair price and I don’t care much for box and papers. I can turn around and sell it for that same amount later if I decide not to keep it. Problem is, as much as I like the Hemingway ballpoint, I would have felt inclined to buy the fountain pen too. Didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole again so I bought the Proust ballpoint instead that was lightly used with box & papers for $1,100, which is a decent price, not a bargain but I felt okay because I’m supporting one of the few great local pen shops in town. 

Depending on what that Hemingway cost you, I would make that decision. The scratches wouldn’t bother me too much if I knew it was fairly priced because I can buff them out gently. Plus they do add character and speak of the pens history 

I paid too much for it and that is why it went back.  It cost me like $2800 after everything was said and done and that pen is not worth that much too me.  I weren't overboard with the fever of the buy and the hunt.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  I have my sites set on a proust and a dumas for now,  I love the shape and I am more enamored with dark tones on a FP.  

Congrats on the Proust. Yes, that is a pretty good deal.  I wish there were local pen dealers in my area.  I have to resort to ebay and that is sometimes hit and miss.  If the Hemingway that I bought was around what you paid for the Proust then it would have been no brainer and part of my collection.  It's condition was just not worthy of a $2800 price tag.  Ouch.🤔

1 hour ago, dmvara said:

I paid too much for it and that is why it went back.  It cost me like $2800 after everything was said and done and that pen is not worth that much too me.  I weren't overboard with the fever of the buy and the hunt.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  I have my sites set on a proust and a dumas for now,  I love the shape and I am more enamored with dark tones on a FP.  

That’s great that you’re starting to narrow down what you like. Subconsciously you’re prioritizing the features and design parameters that appeal to ur sensibilities and order of importance. That local pen shop actually had a Dumas ballpoint in the oversized large packaging (father signature) that comes with the letter and all that hoopla, for just $700. It was beautiful. I was also tempted. If interested, I can share their contact info. No Dumas fountain pen that I saw on the shelf but they had so many of the WE and POA pens. I was told not everything was on display. 

The ballpoint looked new to me. They also had a Hemingway ballpoint sealed in box. Both signature seals were unbroken. There was probably about 50 discontinued WE and POA pens on the shelf. 

The other suggestion I have is contact Bryant Greer at Pentime and tell him what you’re looking for and he’ll source it for you. Give it time and he comes through. His pricing has always been fair and always less than eBay. 

cheers

W.

1 hour ago, dmvara said:
3 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

I'd have done exactly what you did.

NIB seem to be reaching $4K now, but for ~$3K I suspect you could find one that had been used gently.

I WANT a Hemingway, and maybe my expectations are unrealistic but I might be satisfied with the one you bought had I been able to get it for $1500 or so. Not sure if that will ever happen, but one can dream...

59 minutes ago, dmvara said:

Congrats on the Proust. Yes, that is a pretty good deal.  I wish there were local pen dealers in my area.  I have to resort to ebay and that is sometimes hit and miss.  If the Hemingway that I bought was around what you paid for the Proust then it would have been no brainer and part of my collection.  It's condition was just not worthy of a $2800 price tag.  Ouch.🤔

The $1100 was for the Proust ballpoint. The fountain was $1800, which is a very good price for a complete and like new pen. 

The Hemingway is a different story. For the pen you got, I would say it should sell for about $2200-$2500 in that condition with box and papers. Then add what eBay & PayPal would charge (about 10%) and I would say its in the high end of what you paid. So that pricing isn’t crazy but it’s not a deal either and I don’t know if the box and papers were included and in what condition. Hemingway is an unusual pen in the secondary market. 

cheers

W

2 hours ago, dmvara said:

@dmvara,

Since you mentioned a possible interest in the Proust, let me tempt you a bit with some photos 😈. I still think that the Dumas is probably the pen you’ll be happier with, just based on the vibe I’ve picked up from you but photos of the Proust can’t hurt 🤷🏻‍♂️

335F8088-7F43-4248-80B3-1E845779E955.jpeg

8D17282B-EDCC-4CB5-9539-0556E8934168.jpeg

B6D4C48E-FFA5-4BCB-BBB2-00369EC87F1D.jpeg

66E5E850-31E3-4327-8C95-8F5ACB2FD405.jpeg

28B834F0-A690-4A8F-8557-9FA6098A60DD.jpeg

B11D448A-BB49-48CB-9CC0-A1F122BACA7C.jpeg

BBEC7249-7EF0-43FA-9190-DD685A39F69A.jpeg

@Wael El-Dasher, it was our agency's Christmas party. Quite a fun night of food and drinking.

After the party, I went to my favorite cigar lounge nearby to end the night with the owner and his ex-manager. Drink 2 Turkish coffee to sober up and smoked a Montecristo #1.

Does your dealer have the Montblanc Letter Opener in black resin and gold trim?

20211205_003504.jpg

46 minutes ago, agentdaffy007 said:

@Wael El-Dasher, it was our agency's Christmas party. Quite a fun night of food and drinking.

After the party, I went to my favorite cigar lounge nearby to end the night with the owner and his ex-manager. Drink 2 Turkish coffee to sober up and smoked a Montecristo #1.

20211205_003504.jpg

Sounds wonderful! The No. 1 is a lovely cigar. I’ve always been partial to Montecristo No. 2 when I used to smoke cigars. I still have a humidor full of vintage and rare cigars that I enjoy see in my humidor. 

I can certainly ask if they have any of the Meisterstuck letter openers, but I didn’t see one. But then again I was distracted by all the lovely pens and a touch frustrated by the wait time to see the nib tech. 

Cheers

W

55 minutes ago, agentdaffy007 said:

20211205_003504.jpg

Oh, that Letter Opener was (is) a work of art... What you can not imagine simply looking at the photographs is how much hefty it is. The weight can not be that of the resin, so I guess it may have a solid metal body inside, just covered by a resin layer. This makes it even more special.

@dmvara,

Since you mentioned a possible interest in the Proust, let me tempt you a bit with some photos 😈. I still think that the Dumas is probably the pen you’ll be happier with, just based on the vibe I’ve picked up from you but photos of the Proust can’t hurt 🤷🏻‍♂️

335F8088-7F43-4248-80B3-1E845779E955.jpeg

8D17282B-EDCC-4CB5-9539-0556E8934168.jpeg

B6D4C48E-FFA5-4BCB-BBB2-00369EC87F1D.jpeg

66E5E850-31E3-4327-8C95-8F5ACB2FD405.jpeg

28B834F0-A690-4A8F-8557-9FA6098A60DD.jpeg

B11D448A-BB49-48CB-9CC0-A1F122BACA7C.jpeg

BBEC7249-7EF0-43FA-9190-DD685A39F69A.jpeg

Shame on your for tempting me like that.  LOL!.  It's a beauty for sure.  I do like the silver finish with the black.  Very sleek for a FP.  Black is just cool.  I will have to keep my eyes peeled for one if I can get a good deal on a gently used one.

1 hour ago, agentdaffy007 said:

20211205_003504.jpg

Fun!!

2 hours ago, fpupulin said:

Oh, that Letter Opener was (is) a work of art... What you can not imagine simply looking at the photographs is how much hefty it is. The weight can not be that of the resin, so I guess it may have a solid metal body inside, just covered by a resin layer. This makes it even more special.

@agentdaffy007, There is a pretty clean one on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mont-Blanc-Meisterstuck-Desk-Accessories-27300-Letter-Opener-With-Box-/293421199721?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0