X-Feather Blue?

bokaba

Has anyone tried X-Feather Blue? It looks rather purple in some pictures. Is it? Does it stain plastic like some of the other permanent Noodler's? What is the flow like? 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• txomsy

• Man O War

• Daneaxe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have two versions of this ink. The first one is a pure blue, the second (batch?) one is purplish (like la Couleur royale).

The flow is balanced, in fact this is the only bulletproof blue ink from Noodlers (along with Baltimore Canyon) that does not have excessive flow (of those I tested... .).

I didn't observe any stained plastic,  and this ink is very easily washable from the hands.

• 1 month later...

I got an ink sample of Noodler's True Blue (Anti-feather), which is a pure blue, a bit dark, writes very well, and might be even better than the orginal at not feathering. Like (all) Noodler's inks, it's quite saturated, and so looks dark, see my ink swab below...

Stay safe,
Daneaxe

Noodlers-trueblue01.jpg

For your reference - mine was a bottle

~Epic

photo_2021-04-17_00-08-09.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Didn't know (or remember) about it. An ink review would be great.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I have a bottle.  A nice darker blue, but certainly not purple.  Longer dry time with fountain pen friendly paper and the potential for bleed through depending on pen wetness and paper quality.  Poor paper will ghost and be most likely to bleed through.  You will also get nib creep, one of the most prevalent in my experience.

I do like it overall.  Try a sample before taking the plunge.

Oh, the bottle label art is fantastic!  That’s what sold me on buying yet another blue.

13 hours ago, Notgatherox said:

For your reference - mine was a bottle

~Epic

photo_2021-04-17_00-08-09.jpg

That "Jinhao 51A" nib looks super wide....

This blue is intriguing.

That "Anti Fascist Blue"... isn't it the same as "Anti-feather Blue", and the same as "X-feather blue"? I mean, aren't they all one and the same referred to under different names?

3 hours ago, txomsy said:

That "Anti Fascist Blue"... isn't it the same as "Anti-feather Blue", and the same as "X-feather blue"? I mean, aren't they all one and the same referred to under different names?

AFAIK, it's all the same... altho there might be a variant out there I never heard of. But the official name is True Blue (anti-feather), with the others being nicknames of more or less popularity. Try a webshop, e.g. Goulet or van Ness or CdC, they will probably say for sure :)

9 hours ago, Daneaxe said:

AFAIK, it's all the same... altho there might be a variant out there I never heard of. But the official name is True Blue (anti-feather), with the others being nicknames of more or less popularity. Try a webshop, e.g. Goulet or van Ness or CdC, they will probably say for sure :)

Brian Goulet did a video on this ink if I recall.  He consistently referred to it as "anti-feather blue" though did mention the "antifascist blue" name, stating he wanted to steal clear of using that because of where we are (the US) in the current political sphere.  I'm paraphrasing, of course.

If you look at the label, it's a picture of Winston Churchill firing a Tommy-gun (machine gun with round clip - think gangsters of the 1920s).  The label makes mention of Churchill being the biggest fascist fighter of them all (or words to that effect).  He (Britain) did stand alone against Hitler for two years before the US came into WWII.  If you've seen any of Nathan's videos (Noodler's ink), this theme won't surprise you.  He has a number of inks with messages behind them, so to speak.  I personally enjoy them a great deal.

I suppose I could take a picture of the label, but it's a bit of a pain between phone and he computer.  The Goulet website (not affiliated) has good product pics if you want to see.

All the best,

Ryan

I think the misunderstanding about the colour here may come from the angle you are looking at, because it has a slight bronze sheen. If you look at it dead on, it looks like a dark blue. However from most angles, recent batches look a bit blurple. This is possibly too subtle for cheaper cameras and scanners. If you want an ink that always looks completely blue then this is not the ink you want. If you are however allowed to use blue ink at work and need it permanent, this will pass. It behaves itself well.

1 hour ago, vtgt said:

I think the misunderstanding about the colour here may come from the angle you are looking at, because it has a slight bronze sheen. If you look at it dead on, it looks like a dark blue. However from most angles, recent batches look a bit blurple. This is possibly too subtle for cheaper cameras and scanners. If you want an ink that always looks completely blue then this is not the ink you want. If you are however allowed to use blue ink at work and need it permanent, this will pass. It behaves itself well.

Very helpful post. Thank you.

2 hours ago, vtgt said:

You're only making it more difficult for me to resist buying a new permanent blue. :(

• 7 months later...
On 7/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, TSherbs said:

Very helpful post. Thank you.

Um, not so sure considering the variability of the batches. Here is an example:

1. XF blue 1st batch (from Pen Chalet 2020)

2. XF blue 2nd batch (from Goulet 2021)

3. Henry Hudson blue

4. La couleur royale

5. Graf von Faber Castell Cobalt blue

64236329_XFeatherblueNoodlers.thumb.jpg.5f143f86f76b1ba166479820bc69767a.jpg

6 hours ago, jean said:

Um, not so sure considering the variability of the batches. Here is an example:

1. XF blue 1st batch (from Pen Chalet 2020)

2. XF blue 2nd batch (from Goulet 2021)

3. Henry Hudson blue

4. La couleur royale

5. Graf von Faber Castell Cobalt blue

64236329_XFeatherblueNoodlers.thumb.jpg.5f143f86f76b1ba166479820bc69767a.jpg

yours is helpful, too