Resaccing Vintage pens

IlikeInksandIcannotlie

Hello, since I'm buying my first vintage sac- based filler, I would like to know if there are stores selling latex sacs and the other necessary equipment for resaccing in India.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

• hari317

• Aysedasi

On 6/8/2021 at 10:57 PM, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Hello, since I'm buying my first vintage sac- based filler, I would like to know if there are stores selling latex sacs and the other necessary equipment for resaccing in India.

As far as I know no. There might be some shops having stocks of the synthetic sacs used on hero pens. But the shops would rather repair your pen than sell you a part. Shellac: India is the largest producer. You can find shellac flakes. You can procure spirit used for “spirit polish” from paint shops. Even if you get the polish itself it’s actually shellac mixed in alcohol. You can thicken it by adding more shellac flakes and thoroughly mixing it. Pure talc is available as French chalk IP in good medical stores. You will have to import the sacs I am afraid. Hope this helps. 

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

What would be the best site to purchase sacs? David Nishimura's? Also is there some brand of shellac flakes/ spirit polish you would recommend ( for purity and other reasons)?

If you're going to have to import the sacs, why not import a bottle of shellac at the same time?  Unless you need a large quantity?    I buy all my occasional sac, shellac and talc needs from these guys.  I don't know if they ship to India though.

https://vintagepensacsandparts.com/

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Buying shellac/talc locally would be quite cheaper, also they ramped shipping charges up when added to the cart. On top of that, I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible so as to not get noticed by customs. Importing pens/ inks into India is a pain, as customs will often charge 30-40 percent of the price of the item as duty.

Thanks for the advice, anyways.

2 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

What would be the best site to purchase sacs? David Nishimura's? Also is there some brand of shellac flakes/ spirit polish you would recommend ( for purity and other reasons)?

Nishimura is a good source and he sells on eBay too. His latex sacs come from the pen sac co ( I have purchased directly from them). His silicone and pvc sacs are his own.  

I have no specific recommendations for the flakes and spirit. I have always purchased locally from brick and mortar shops and I live in mumbai with a very nice availability of stuff provided you know where to look. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

1 hour ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

This one looks good. You don’t need so much. Try in your neighbourhood shop first. You also need denatured spirit. Which is ethanol denatured with methanol. There are plenty of articles online on how to mix your shellac solution. Good luck. 

What do you use as a heat source?

2 hours ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

What do you use as a heat source?

Philips 2 speed hair dryer. 

Also what should be the concentration of the shellac? 

I don't want to melt through the plastic by having too much alcohol in the mixture.

1 minute ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

I don't want to melt through the plastic by having too much alcohol in the mixture.

You won’t. Alcohol is highly volatile.