Lady Duofold Nib I.D.

Rroberrt

I have a nice old Lady Duofold “Lucky Curve” with the only nib marking: “Parker pen made in USA  .6.”

There is no “k” number, but a magnet shows no attraction?  What material could it be?

Also, looking at the tines, spaced and then coming together, could it be a flex nib?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rroberrt

• shalitha33

• FlighterGuy

• ardene

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Shalitha.  so far it looks like this Lady was built in Janesville in 1926, or earlier.

It sports a wide gold (deluxe) cap-band versus the three-band version which was .introduced after ‘32. 

The name, “Lady Duofold “Lucky Curve” Fountain Pen’ , with the words “Lucky Curve” contained in a banner, was dis-continued in about 1928.

The date code “.6.” means the second quarter of a year ending in 6.

in other words it was built before 1932, in fact before 1928 in a year ending in 6.

I’m tempted to think that, as you say, the nib material is most likely gold, since the pen was sold as a ‘De Luxe’.  

I picked up this Lady Duofold mid-sixties, in a second hand shop in Detroit; a little disheveled, didn’t look like much but she was a Parker. For some reason I was attracted to fountain pens then. 

Flushed the insides, polished the tip (and the gold) and worked the tines a little. Now we have good flow and smooth writing - for the first time in how many years - all four and a half inches of her; five and a half posted. 

How many years ago, and who by?

On 6/8/2021 at 5:14 PM, Rroberrt said:

Thank you Shalitha.  so far it looks like this Lady was built in Janesville in 1926, or earlier.

It sports a wide gold (deluxe) cap-band versus the three-band version which was .introduced after ‘32. 

The name, “Lady Duofold “Lucky Curve” Fountain Pen’ , with the words “Lucky Curve” contained in a banner, was dis-continued in about 1928.

The date code “.6.” means the second quarter of a year ending in 6.

in other words it was built before 1932, in fact before 1928 in a year ending in 6.

I’m tempted to think that, as you say, the nib material is most likely gold, since the pen was sold as a ‘De Luxe’.  

Sorry, but the .6. date code is for 1936Q2. So the most likely scenario is the it's a replacement nib.

Thanks for that Fighter Guy. I had wondered about ‘36, but never thought of a replacement. (No need to be sorry Guy, I’m just curious.)

The nib has no markings except the date - just, “PARKER PEN  MADE IN USA”.  It could be brass base, any way to tell?

Btw, how can you tell it was not any year ending in ‘6’?

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Nibs made in this period of time is likely going to be 14k gold most well known / respected brands.

A pic of the pen would be very useful to verify what date it is from. nib / barrel , section , cap etc can be interchanged between pens and can be replacement parts given these pens are nearing 100 years.

These date range is slightly out of my range of pens i collect :( so im knot sure about the details for these pens /nibs

Thank you Shalitha33. I haven’t posted any pics yet, but I think I know how, and will try tomorrow.

I don't have many pens from this period as they are outside what i collect. these are all that i have and only the jade coloured pen is a lady duofold. 

IMG_20210611_135112.thumb.jpg.c26d90a48e0d98d3e957edc2af0e2287.jpg

All of these are worn out user grade pens. some of them have the lucky curve imprint.

IMG_20210611_135609.thumb.jpg.99ac912a73248d4c9b0f8845ccb69c43.jpg

IMG_20210611_135632.thumb.jpg.4d8564c063a2d66444e4d511d79fcb81.jpg

Nice, Thank you.

What is the material of the jade one above.

Oh dear, if I get to add photos this pm, I can see me going wild and posting up to 19.53 MB.  Talk soon.

Sadly i don't have that many pens :( probably about 50 or so that i want to collect and rest being parts or other pens i got as part of getting what i wanted to collect. you will find people with thousands of pens here :P

On my previous post ,first and third pen on the first photo is black hard rubber, rest are celluloid. They are are also badly discoloured.  Last 4 pens they are supposed to be apple green and jade originally.

from 1927 catalogue
2147271248_ScreenShot2021-06-12at3_47_05AM.thumb.png.f4579ab49ab5e2d93b3b33bb72aea446.png2067063708_ScreenShot2021-06-12at3_46_03AM.thumb.png.adfde08ad265d3b31e94f591380a478d.png
from 1934 catalogue 

1707617134_ScreenShot2021-06-12at3_54_55AM.thumb.png.d5d1031158317963de50a08ee1f6d39b.png

On 6/10/2021 at 8:16 AM, Rroberrt said:

Thanks for that Fighter Guy. I had wondered about ‘36, but never thought of a replacement. (No need to be sorry Guy, I’m just curious.)

The nib has no markings except the date - just, “PARKER PEN  MADE IN USA”.  It could be brass base, any way to tell?

Btw, how can you tell it was not any year ending in ‘6’?

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Easy, 1) the original Duofold nib would have had "PARKER DUOFOLD PEN  MADE IN USA".  2) Parker started date coding in 1934 with a single digit and double digits in 1940. Therefore, a 1936Q2 replacement nib.

Thanks Fighter man. Never doubted you, just curious. 

I marvel at the erudition lurking in this underworld of pens. No end to it.

What an informative and appropriate reference!  You and Dill amaze me, - altho Dill’s choices seem to be a little above my budget (32 years retired) if mouth-watering.

Thank you for the ad. pics.  Did you get 4 pics from me?

I'm not sure if its possible to narrow it down any more than pre-1930 based on the earlier (not the streamline) design. it could be any time between the start of lady duofold and until when the new design was introduced.

Nib and the end cap hiding the button filler system might be replacements.

following is from the 1927 catalogue (i think!  I have seen two versions of them with one having pen No:2 with the wide single band and one with 3 smaller ones).

https://parkersheaffer.com/catalogo-parker-1927/

3-11.thumb.jpg.be7e0f23b6fe0e03001c03d4ad86d17e.jpg

https://pencollectorsofamerica.org/reference-library/parker/

1909555206_ScreenShot2021-06-13at7_37_57PM.thumb.png.c973ebbf58b89048797ed0b560d856dc.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 7.33.20 PM.png

Thank you for great pics!  None of them show that end-cap. I’m wondering why you think it a replacement?

And by the way it was your pics sent me back to that junk box to find - a Laidtone!

Edited by Rroberrt
forgot to mention previous pics.

The end cap looks a bit too clean with respect for oxidisation compared with the cap top and the section. All three parts should be of the same material. 

Im not saying it's a replacement . just saying it could be. If the pen was stored uncapped with the cap posted at the back, then we can end up with the same look as your pen. but then it may also show discolouration in the red bits of the barrel having parts covered by the cap showing in a brighter red.

End cap is of the correct style for this pen btw. 

Im no expert on this and please do correct me .