OPUS88- Lennon Toolbar Collaboration Halo Pen Review – It’s Absolute Stellar!

punjabi

Pros-

• Huge Ink Capacity
  • Shut-Off-Valve prevent leaks & burps.
  • Unique Ice-Effect Design
  • Well Balanced
  • Good Quality Material used – Scratch Resistant
  • The Jowo nib on my Opus 88 writes flawlessly.
  • Nice Packaging
  • Comfortable even when used capped
  • Fits perfectly even in people with small hands.
  • Affordable Price Tag
  • Good EDC Pen

Cons-

• It takes many turns to uncap – 3 turns!!!!
  • You need to open valve for long writing sessions

Some Other Specs You Should Know –

• Nib Material – Steel
  • Body Material – Resin
  • Fill Mechanism- Eye Dropper
  • Ink capacity -2ml
  • Cap Type- Threaded
  • Postable-Yes
  • Demonstrator- Yes
  • Clip Style- Spring Metal
  • Nib width- Extra Fine, Fine, Medium, Broad & Stub.
  • Closing System- Screw cap
  • Material- Resin
  • Trim Colour – Silver
  • Length Closed – 142 mm
  • Length Barrel – 125mm
  • Length posted-160mm
  • Diameter- 14mm
  • Diameter – Grip10.7 mm
  • Weight-Barrel (Empty)- 0.46 oz / 13 grams
  • Weight(Cap)-0.39 oz / 11 grams
  • Weight – Whole Pen (Empty)-0.84 oz / 24 grams

photo_16230043176366294225836809323531.j

Packaging – Very Nice 👍, this pen comes in a light blue box over which both OPUS88 & Lennon Tool Bar Branding. It looks very very nice with a beautiful white box inside where pen sits comfortably. Their is a very nice eye dropper adjacent to pen. You never get this kind of premium packing at this price point. You will surely like the unboxing experience.photo_16230043173464451642045696987299.jpg

Design- Very Nice, The body of the pen is made of very nice resin,it feels good in hand & material is almost scratch proof. The Lennon Tool Bar logo has been engraved on top of The cap. It has OPUS88 written too on back of clip. It looks nice IMO.

The overall shape is a hybrid of both the classic flat-top classic cigar shape designs. The pen gradually gets wider as you move towards the middle of the pen and reaches its widest part on the cap.The clip is very sturdy & is reliable. The pen comes with #5 size nib,but I think size #6 nib would have been better. The finials have a mostly flat end, but there is a slight rounding to them which in my opinion looks very good. Their is an O ring at the bottom, which suits the overall appearance of the pen. Their is slight step down on section. The pen takes too many turns to uncap, around 3 which some people won’t like.

Filling Mechanism- Good 👍,OPUS 88 has been making great Eyedroppers since many years now, this pen is too a no nonsense eye dropper with a shut off valve.As, you don’t need to apply silicon grease on threads unlike other ED Pens which is a very nice thing .It a simple mechanism & works perfectly. The ink capacity is around 2ml which is on higher side. The shut off valve has some impact on ink flow, but not much.I am personally fan of shut off valve filling mechanism rather than normal Eye dropper.

photo_16230043190254738730691453448230.jpg

Nib Performance – Good 👍, This pen comes with #5 steel nib. It is made by JOWO but tuned by OPUS88. It is smooth & writes very well out of the box & has very less feedback. The nib has brand name & nib size printed on it . The pen wrote very well out of the box.

Overall- Very Nice 👍, This is made by OPUS88 in collaboration with Lennon Toolbar Inks, Both are young companies but they have done really great job with this pen, improving the earlier shortcomings. The pen is very nicely built & a quality product. It’s MRP will be around $90 in USA which makes it strong competitor to other pens available in this price segment. If someone is looking for a clean eye dropper pen around $100 range it’s the best.photo_16230043190257935599053448417946.jpgphoto_16230043182112386090788319322140.jpgphoto_1623004318494800455979621005656.jpgphoto_16230043187638682989721151982271.jpgphoto_16230043170794344066194152131899.jpgphoto_16230043173463874306746754877295.jpgphoto_16230043160377865073449284946835.jpgphoto_16230043163067421816375374467264.jpgphoto_16230043165611683838873333566481.jpgphoto_16230043168093341624343227347991.jpgphoto_16230043154934648338510656166217.jpgphoto_16230043157936542046795256654676.jpg

PS- I purchased this pen from Taiwan through a friend who pre-booked & then shipped to me here. And images shared have been taken by HC LEE, My images couldn’t have done justice with beauty of the pen.

My blog link - https://inkpenlover.wordpress.com/2021/06/07/opus88-lennon-toolbar-collaboration-halo-pen-review-and-its-absolute-stellar/?preview=true

Photo_1623004318763.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detman101

• MichaelHall

• punjabi

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review and the photos! Opus 88 makes great pens. I’ll be sure to check this one out.

• 4 weeks later...

Great review. I saw this as I was about to buy the pen. I see it selling for $120.00. The #5 nib is surprising. I have a decent number of these and I'm not seeing this as a viable addition. Thanks again. 

Agreed, I can't see using a tiny little #5 nib on a huge Opus-88 pen.
That's just nonsensical...in my opinion.

SIG-The great Squint-Off.jpg

30 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Agreed, I can't see using a tiny little #5 nib on a huge Opus-88 pen.
That's just nonsensical...in my opinion.

36 minutes ago, mge01park said:

Great review. I saw this as I was about to buy the pen. I see it selling for $120.00. The #5 nib is surprising. I have a decent number of these and I'm not seeing this as a viable addition. Thanks again. 

This isn't a big nib , but this pen isn't big either . The pen is far smaller than OMAR & their Demo model. It feels good in hand & do look good . 

But yeah a #6 nib would have been better.

I'm very tempted to get one or two of these, in spite of the #5 nib. I like the colour range on the sections, and they're a great price - I'm seeing them for 72 Euros right now. It's just choosing the colour that's the difficult bit. 

This offering looks to be the same size as the regular Opus-88 line.
Of course, with the different Section and it's postable.
Does anyone know if the Nib Unit can be swapped out with a #6 size nib unit?
If so...then my only complaint is null and void and I will be ordering one of these in the near future!!

17 hours ago, punjabi said:

This isn't a big nib , but this pen isn't big either . The pen is far smaller than OMAR & their Demo model. It feels good in hand & do look good . 

But yeah a #6 nib would have been better.

Okay, you answered my questions...thank you.
I definitely don't want a pen smaller than my Opus-88 Demo.
I'll be passing on these...
Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that these have the exact same build as the Opus 88 Koloro line but without the ebonite accents. In my opinion the Koloro is a solid pen. Medium size in the hand and holds almost 2ml of ink. I don't think the #5 nib looks too small on it. Aesthetically I prefer my Koloro with the ebonite accents but not everyone is into that look. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never bought an Opus 88, but I always wanted a clear Koloro. I mean a version of the colored Koloros that is clear. (It gets confusing, since there is a Koloro Clear Demonstrator that is rather different.) And the Halo is a clear Koloro, so I bought it.

First impressions: very pleased. My biggest fear was about the balance with it posted, and I am happy to report that it suits my style of a bit of a high grip, but I think it would be fine with a lower grip. I grip the threads and they are smooth. Another fear was about the 3 full turns to uncap. It has been okay so far.

The nib is a Jowo #5 fine, supposedly tuned by Opus 88. It is my first Jowo (except a custom grind). I come from low end Pilot nibs, which are buttery. This nib is not buttery. However, it has a pretty satisfying form of feedback. It writes flawlessly with absolutely zero pressure, so probably it will feel smoother in a few days after I adapt. I was surprised at the amount of line variation from what is essentially a nail, probably due to the massive ink reservoir trying to get out through the nib.

The nib size looks in proportion to the uncapped pen. Posted with its big ass cap... maybe not so much.

It took a long time to get the first ink to paper. Lots of valve thrusting and leaving it nib down with the valve open. Not a big deal, just don't panic if it happens to you.

I got the version with the clear section. I was surprised that the ink color does not show up there. The ink in the barrel does display its color beautifully, though.

Pic over in another thread:

Edit: I noticed the nib and feed were not aligned. Based on advice in the repair forum, I nudged the nib back into alignment. Now it writes much better: smooth.