Your Five Must Have Inks

IlikeInksandIcannotlie

I'm not sure there are any 'must haves' for me - if I wasn't able to get any of my favorites I would be a little disappointed but there are so many beautiful ones it would be easy to move on. Best not to get attached.

But here are 5 I'd buy again if I ran out:

1. L'Artisan Pastellier Classique Olive - I didn't think I was a 'green' person but I keep coming back to this one. This one totally changed my taste in ink.

2. R&K Sepia - Some other taupe might do as well.

3. Diamine Chopin - A blue/purple grey. I'd also probably buy Callifolio Baikal again, an ink along the same lines.

4. Callifolio Bourgogne - So soulful and significantly more interesting and complex than Poussiere de Lune.

5. A grey-purple or purple-grey. Diamine Vivaldi, Callifolio Cassis, and KOBE Tamon Purple Grey are fighting it out. Osters Sydney Lavender and Summer Storm are itching to enter the fray.

5. Brown-purple - Vinta Ubi or Oster Dark Chocolate.

5. Diamine Prussian Blue

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• ethernautrix

• vannesspen

• inkstainedruth

Picked to provide some variation I would want to have with me:

Iroshizuku take-sumi as my 'near' black option

Iroshizuku syo-ro - dark teal, I find it a really alluring colour

Diamine Amaranth (just beats MB Antoine de St. Exupery because it's not a LE)

MB Corn Poppy Red - crying shame that this is no longer produced, fortunately I have a couple of bottles left, if you find a bottle get it! 

MB Royal Blue is a really solid blue for any occasion, everyone should have a bottle of this somewhere.

I would like to have had a brown and would have gone with either Diamine Chocolate Brown, Ancient Copper or with MB Toffee Brown but no 6th ink allowed! 

13 hours ago, JakobS said:

Diamine Umber

KWZ IG Green Gold

J Herbin Bleu Pervenche

Diamine Tyrian Purple

KWZ Brown Pink

or

Diamine Umber

KWZ IG Green Gold

Diamine Macassar

Diamine Safari

Diamine Monaco Red

or

Diamine Umber

KWZ IG Green Gold

KWZ IGL Aztec Gold

Diamine Chocolate

Abraxas Grass Green

or

Diamine Umber

KWZ IG Green Gold

KWZ  IG Turquoise 

KWZ Baltic Memories

Diamine Woodland Green

Hmmm....doesn’t look like it’s possible for me....maybe top 25?

HAHAHA This is how I should have done it! 

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

20 hours ago, vannesspen said:

it changes often but right now....Shaeffer turquoise, Akkerman 28, Taccia blue jeans, J Herbin Rose cyclamen, Callifolio Gris de Payne

Aren't there four or five different Taccia "blue jeans" shades? 

Cheating! 🤣

Just now, NumberSix said:

Cheating! 🤣

Hmm, that is true. There's seven inks in the blue jeans lineup.

25 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Hmm, that is true. There's seven inks in the blue jeans lineup.

I was way off!

1 hour ago, vannesspen said:

HAHAHA This is how I should have done it! 

As my sole KWZ ink supplier, yours is a rather significant part in the whole indecision. And I can't thank you enough for it, because they have brought so much joy to the act of writing for me.......

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

On 6/6/2021 at 10:22 AM, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Which five inks do you have in your collection, which you would prefer to always have a bottle of? 

Note : This question was not intended to vex anyone with more than  Five Must-Haves 😁.

I just use one pen (sheaffer balance) and one ink (sheaffer blue black). I know it sounds boring, but I like it this way.

40 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

I was way off!

I can't pick one- hoped it wouldn't get caught lol. Look I like the ink and blues are kinda my favorite- even the grey jeans are perfect...  I will choose... Hmm Indigo, or Navy.  This is why I don't comment- I mean I am the cause for a lot of inks on the site.... And Lord knows we have a lot of inks... HAHA

Lisa V

14 minutes ago, JakobS said:

As my sole KWZ ink supplier, yours is a rather significant part in the whole indecision. And I can't thank you enough for it, because they have brought so much joy to the act of writing for me.......

Awww - Glad to help out

Spoiler
Spoiler

😬

- KWZ was one of our first attempts at working with a new line. Its Mr. Vanness's go to ink line even with all the brands we currently have in the shop.

29 minutes ago, vannesspen said:

I can't pick one- hoped it wouldn't get caught lol. Look I like the ink and blues are kinda my favorite- even the grey jeans are perfect...  I will choose... Hmm Indigo, or Navy.  This is why I don't comment- I mean I am the cause for a lot of inks on the site.... And Lord knows we have a lot of inks... HAHA

Lisa V

Happy to have you chiming in. 🙂. I have spent plenty of money with y'all. (my name is Derrick M) 

I think at some point I did order Taccia Blue Jeans Classic, probably from Vanness.   I really like it and one of these days should get some other shades. The Taccia inks I have tried have been excellent.

44 minutes ago, JakobS said:

Now we need @vannesspen to start carrying Montblanc inks. Looks like may have done, in the past. . .

In no particular order, inks I cannot live without:

- Aurora Black (or Platinum Carbon Black)

- Colorverse Supernova (slightly diluted with a hint of OS Nitrogen)

- Sailor Jentle Yama-dori

- Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses

Check out my website about Photography and Ink-making: WWW.LOKE.BE

1 hour ago, NumberSix said:

Now we need @vannesspen to start carrying Montblanc inks. Looks like may have done, in the past. . .

Undecided in continuing the brand as a whole. We are moving the store over the summer ( we will still be brick and mortar but needed warehouse space too) so I am in holding pattern at the moment.

1 hour ago, NumberSix said:

Happy to have you chiming in. 🙂. I have spent plenty of money with y'all. (my name is Derrick M) 

I think at some point I did order Taccia Blue Jeans Classic, probably from Vanness.   I really like it and one of these days should get some other shades. The Taccia inks I have tried have been excellent.

Thanks- my favorites change with the wind. Today I am trying out a potential new pen brand and cant seem to pick an ink... 

10 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I'm not sure there are any 'must haves' for me - if I wasn't able to get any of my favorites I would be a little disappointed but there are so many beautiful ones it would be easy to move on. Best not to get attached.

But here are 5 I'd buy again if I ran out:

1. L'Artisan Pastellier Classique Olive - I didn't think I was a 'green' person but I keep coming back to this one. This one totally changed my taste in ink.

2. R&K Sepia - Some other taupe might do as well.

3. Diamine Chopin - A blue/purple grey. I'd also probably buy Callifolio Baikal again, an ink along the same lines.

4. Callifolio Bourgogne - So soulful and significantly more interesting and complex than Poussiere de Lune.

5. A grey-purple or purple-grey. Diamine Vivaldi, Callifolio Cassis, and KOBE Tamon Purple Grey are fighting it out. Osters Sydney Lavender and Summer Storm are itching to enter the fray.

5. Brown-purple - Vinta Ubi or Oster Dark Chocolate.

5. Diamine Prussian Blue

I love the olive from them as well- its just a different color from most olives and it dries well- cleans well... shades well - its all the things...

I'm going to say none. There's always another ink.

Even though I now have more than a dozen bottles of ink, I'm still in the sampling stage. I'm never going to be the kind of diligent ink tester/sampler that @amberleadavis, @A Smug Dill, @LizEF and others are. Because of this, the inks that wind up on my desk are a pretty much a  quasi-random sample of all the inks out there.

If any of the inks that I currently have and turn to more often than others were to vanish, I'd just pick something else.

OK, I'll play:

Almost all of my pens are vintage, and those that aren't don't like dry inks. And I'm red-green colorblind.  So, 

Waterman's Serenity

Akkerman Konigsblauw

Aurora black

Pelikan black

Montblanc Midnight blue

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

40 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

I'm going to say none. There's always another ink.

Even though I now have more than a dozen bottles of ink, I'm still in the sampling stage. I'm never going to be the kind of diligent ink tester/sampler that @amberleadavis, @A Smug Dill, @LizEF and others are. Because of this, the inks that wind up on my desk are a pretty much a  quasi-random sample of all the inks out there.

If any of the inks that I currently have and turn to more often than others were to vanish, I'd just pick something else.

This sums it up pretty well.  If I had to pick 5 inks from my possession to run with, it would probably be:

• Akkerman #09 Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo
  • Diamine Salamander
  • Herbin Lie de Thé
  • Robert Oster Bronze
  • Sailor Seiboku or Sailor Souboku

There ought to be a red or orange or purple in there - like R&K Solferino or Akkerman Oranje Boven, but there's not enough room... :)  Anyway, sampling has taught me to appreciate each ink in its own right, and enjoy variety.  And reality has taught me these sort of desert island questions are pointless - at least for me, so I'll just keep what I've got and get more when they're almost all reviewed.

7 hours ago, NumberSix said:

Cheating! 🤣

:lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."