How have people reacted to your handwriting, italic or not?

Rroberrt

On 3/3/2022 at 4:49 AM, Enkida said:

I get the feeling a lot of people think ugly cursive is pretty just because cursive is no longer taught in many places, though.

Hahahaha...that's the case for me. My handwriting is "Special" just because where I live it's rare to see cursive...even rarer to see a "Fountain Pen".
People think I'm someone that i'm not when I'm out and about...it's bewildering, but I expect it to continue and probably spread.
🤷‍♂️

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParramattaPaul

• kealani

• Rroberrt

• AkitaMom

Since I retired I’ve been taking classes part time at our community college, and before the pandemic I liked to do most of my studying in coffee shops. Twice when I was taking notes from my textbook someone saw me writing and commented on my handwriting. One even asked if he could take a picture of my notes. 

• 9 months later...

I was surprised earlier this month that an employee at a pen and stationery shop complimented my handwriting. People notice it from time to time, but I feel that my regular handwriting is not noteworthy. 

One thing I would like to credit my teachers for is that we were  required to do all work in cursive, including in math. Our notebooks were checked, and cursive was required there, too, so Cursive is my default writing style. 

However, proper use of the language is more important than the beauty of the script. It saddens me to see outstanding letter formation in misspelled words. 

10 hours ago, Shams el-Din Rogers said:

I was surprised earlier this month that an employee at a pen and stationery shop complimented my handwriting. People notice it from time to time, but I feel that my regular handwriting is not noteworthy. 

One thing I would like to credit my teachers for is that we were  required to do all work in cursive, including in math. Our notebooks were checked, and cursive was required there, too, so Cursive is my default writing style. 

However, proper use of the language is more important than the beauty of the script. It saddens me to see outstanding letter formation in misspelled words. 

... and poor sentence structure or bad grammar. 

I struggled mightily with penmanship in grammar school.  I felt like I never had enough time to practice.  As time passed I found myself having to write very fast and developed a very loose and loopy hand.  Over the years practicing with fountain pens has improved my skill.  I now have 3 distinct writing types, slow and neat, mid speed okay and fast loopy all cursive.  My block print is very good.  Sadly penmanship is no longer taught.  My daughters learned cursive writing from me.  This is a dying art and it does appear killing it is deliberate.

On 12/27/2022 at 4:17 PM, DiveDr said:

I struggled mightily with penmanship in grammar school.  I felt like I never had enough time to practice.  As time passed I found myself having to write very fast and developed a very loose and loopy hand.  Over the years practicing with fountain pens has improved my skill.  I now have 3 distinct writing types, slow and neat, mid speed okay and fast loopy all cursive.  My block print is very good.  Sadly penmanship is no longer taught.  My daughters learned cursive writing from me.  This is a dying art and it does appear killing it is deliberate.

I didn't know this.

Is penmanship taught, at least, in private schools?

Or is it, in general, the public school system in America?

What about elsewhere. . .is penmanship taught. .  .anywhere?

k

Well, it is still taught in some places in the US.  Friends of ours in the next county from us were very happy that their older son was being taught penmanship at school (although the kid's mom was ranting about "the new math").  Not sure if their younger kid is at the age to be learning handwriting yet (I know he's older than I remember, but I still think of Frankie being four years old, even though he was always big for his age).  

OMG -- his older brother might be in high school by now....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, Kamuela said:

I didn't know this.

Is penmanship taught, at least, in private schools?

Or is it, in general, the public school system in America?

What about elsewhere. . .is penmanship taught. .  .anywhere?

k

So cursive writing has been mostly phased out in public schools across the US.  There are some private schools where it is still taught.  Terrible shame, our children practice cursive penmanship 5 days a week for at least 20 minutes and yes, with fountain pens.

I'm a mechanical engineer, one of my last jobs was at a well-known automotive company in advanced development (where you work on rather creative ideas, not minor day-to-day business). We did a lot of organizing and planning with notes stuck or pinned to walls and boards, that in the process would get re-arranged and e.g. grouped for similar themes or ordered by urgency. On two separate occasions someone took one of my notes to move it and on closer inspection asked: "Whose handwriting is that?!?" I also used to do a lot of quick notes at my desk (working on engineering solutions you may have a lot of ideas that you want to use later in the design process). About every other week or so someone passing my desk would stop with a "Whoa!"

Also, that's actually my hand:

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

On 3/22/2022 at 4:11 AM, SF Susan said:

Since I retired I’ve been taking classes part time at our community college, and before the pandemic I liked to do most of my studying in coffee shops. Twice when I was taking notes from my textbook someone saw me writing and commented on my handwriting. One even asked if he could take a picture of my notes. 

Wow. That is really nice. What a compliment!

Much better than myself when someone looks at something I wrote and says, "what does that say?" (humor).

Aloha e Kamuela, Hauoli Makahiki Hou! My penmanship today is just good enough to take my Hula Notes. 

On 1/6/2023 at 12:00 AM, AkitaMom said:

Aloha e Kamuela, Hauoli Makahiki Hou! My penmanship today is just good enough to take my Hula Notes. 

Aloha, Akamai Oe!  "See you "da kine. . bumbai". . . Me Ke Aloha, malama pono.

A Hui Hou!

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, A Smug Dill said:

Restaurants and other hospitality businesses were required to capture the names and contact details of patrons and visitors

That may explain why we're all getting so many more spam calls and emails too!

On 6/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, Rroberrt said:

I also started carrying; it was concealed too. But in Michigan you don’t need a permit - yet

Good on you! It's better to have than not need than need and not have!

When it comes to my handwriting, the best way I can describe it would be "had a few too many to drink, got spun around a few times, and got blindfolded".  I usually also cannot read it after a few hours.  I do write strictly cursive unless print is required which helps a little but not much!

"Live like you were dying" ~Tim McGraw.  Truer words have never been spoken, and you'll never know that until you've had to fight for your life.

I went from being held after class and browbeaten and forced to use my non-dominant hand (they failed at that!) in elementary school, to being complimented on my 'beautiful cursive.'

(It's not, but I've worked hard since then, and at least it's now legible.)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have come to use a variation on architectural lettering because my cursive comes out spastically when I let muscle memory take over. If I'm going low and slow, it's a legible D'nealian learned back in the early 90's. 

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

2 hours ago, Rebbe said:

I have come to use a variation on architectural lettering because my cursive comes out spastically when I let muscle memory take over. If I'm going low and slow, it's a legible D'nealian learned back in the early 90's. 

Architectural lettering can be Very nice.

Also D'nealian has a distinctive style.

k