How have people reacted to your handwriting, italic or not?

Rroberrt

In the doc’s waiting room, I noted a half dozen topics for discussion.  When the nurse read the list, she asked if I had written it, and could she show it to her boss of thirteen years - as an example of legible handwriting.  Lots of laughter from down the hall, but when the doc appeared he said, “It’s not that good”.

And having seen some of the beautiful examples on these boards, I had to agree.

But we had some fun with it and might have dropped some seeds.  I was wondering about the response others might have had from that other world of non-FP.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParramattaPaul

• kealani

• Rroberrt

• Linger

When the first round of restrictions on being out and about recreationally were newly lifted last year, our government's regulations and tools in aid of contact-tracing were still fairly immature. Restaurants and other hospitality businesses were required to capture the names and contact details of patrons and visitors, but a lot of it was done with pen and paper (and with very lax protection of privacy and information security); and of course most of the time customers are asked to write down their details themselves on either a pad (or book) used by everyone, or preferably loose sheets to minimise the likelihood of interpersonal transmission by touching the physical surface of an intermediary object (as well as slightly better protecting one's privacy).

It was in those days that I got into the habit again of carrying a fountain pen with me when I go out; who wants to be handling the same 20-cent ballpoint pen offered by the venue's management to everyone to use?

More often than not I got unsolicited compliments from waitstaff upon seeing what I've ‘printed’ in somewhat italic script for better legibility; but then it's easy to stand out when almost everyone else is writing with a biro and with little care attending to what they see as an inconvenience or chore.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Occassionally in meetings, someone will compliment my handwriting. I accept it graciously, but I know that compared to many people on these boards, my scrawl is pretty rough. I suspect that the reason that people feel moved to say something is that they write so little by hand that they have either never developed the practice, or it has long fallen into disrepair. Hence even my chicken scratches qualify as "nice".

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I think my handwriting is (bleep) personally.  Imagine my surprise when when someone saw my shopping list earlier this week and complimented my on my 'beautiful handwriting'.  If anything, the comment is more proof of the old adage that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

11 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

It was in those days that I got into the habit again of carrying a fountain pen with me when I go out; who

I also started carrying; it was concealed too. But in Michigan you don’t need a permit - yet. :)

My pen of choice is a nifty little Pilot Metropolitan - 1 mm, but I’ve been tinkering with the thought of that little TWSBI Vac Mini 1.1mm, or perhaps a Kaweco - but I don't think it is available in stub.

Hm, I wonder how many are carrying now - and what their choices are?

I almost always have my fountain pens with me. One of my pandemic projects has been to improve my handwriting. I take one of my pens and write a page or two every day. Over the last three months, my handwriting has gone from sloppy but legible to respectable. Lately, I've been getting many compliments. I can see the difference a little practice has made. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I get lots of compliments, but I've been working on my handwriting and the like for many years. The issue I've been working on is trying to retain that "beautiful hand" while being able to write reasonably quickly. That's a real challenge. 

After 40+ years of a proverbial doctor's illegible scrawl, I reanimated the italic handwriting I had used before medical school. The amazed reactions of pharmacists, especially, but also bank tellers and others and the compliments on my handwriting are amusing and gratifying. 

David

Once, filling out paperwork at the doctor's office. Not my usual handwriting, but a regressed (mechanical drawing) drafting block print.

Another time long ago, a classmate complimented my handwriting (notes). I don't remember who anymore, but it has stuck with me all these years enough to continue practice d'nealian script here and there.

A different time, the reception desk girls went gaga over the iron gall ink (not the handwriting). "it looks like water color!" as they passed the paperwork around.

• 2 months later...

If I write in cursive such as on a bank check, and so forth, the usual responses, if there are any, are:

1. Wow. My grandmother writes like that.

2. I didn't know that anyone wrote like that anymore. Very cool.

3. Your handwriting is nice. It looks old.

4. Do you always write like that?

5. Where (or when) did you learn to write like that. (response. . . 1950 something)

6. From a handwriting analyst at a Renaissance Fair. "I've only seen this handful of times in 30 years."

An evolved Palmer Business Script from old Parochial School.

k😀

I think my handwriting looks like the tracks left by an epileptic chicken in seizure, but It recently garnered a compliment for it's neatness.   😲

I remember a comment in high school of our Dutch language & literature teacher on my friend’s handwriting: “it looks as if a drunken beetle with ink on its legs walked around on your paper.” 

My own cursive handwriting, if I write slow and deliberate, is OK, and does receive positive feedback every now and again. My quick note-taking would probably trigger a variation to the aflre mentioned comment.

Mostly people don't notice my handwriting at all (and when they *do* actually notice I'm using a fountain pen, it's often a cheapie like one of the Noodler's Konrads).

A month or so ago I was eating breakfast at a local diner chain location after going to an estate sale, and was finally getting morning pages done at the table.  The waitress that morning said that my handwriting was really tiny, but that's about it.

I keep wondering what a graphologist would deduce about me from some of the journal entries, because sometimes it's relatively neat, sometimes just a scrawl, and sometimes not even in cursive -- often all on the same day's entry....  And I make capital "I" three different ways, sometimes in the same paragraph....

This reminds me of one time back in college when I had to have classes all day long after pulling 2 all-nighters in a row: a 3 hour studio for some art class, another studio in the afternoon for a drafting class (God, I hate ruling pens), and then at 7:30 PM the last class before my General Philosophy final.  Which was going to be on a 50 page article the professor had written about "How all these "Marxist" philosophers aren't REALLY Marxists...."  And of course my eyelids had been getting heavy during the 9 AM studio, so by 7:30 I was just pretty much a basket case to begin with.  And then have to be subjected to THAT for an hour and a half.  My first page of notes wasn't too bad (fairly legible).  But the second page was just chicken-scratches -- I have no idea what I wrote at that point, because of course I couldn't read it (and that was BEFORE dealing with the actual topic...).  How I managed to pull a B in that class is completely beyond me....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My handwriting is awful, marginally better with an FP than a BP.  I was always being asked to decipher what I'd written on files at work.....  ;)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

On 8/14/2021 at 10:22 AM, inkstainedruth said:

…  And I make capital "I" three different ways, sometimes in the same paragraph....

It’s the sweet little ”s”, (not the irritating wiggly fontal shape just typed, but the downward curly “s” I can’t render here),  that stops the show for me.

My surname happens to contain successive ‘esses’, two of ‘em, that have been burned into my muscle memory for many years.  I never liked them, and for the past year have been trying to replace them with the beautiful version. Today I make graceful, delightful ‘esses’ , when I remember.  (You can perhaps detect a touch of FPN Deprivation here due to power-outs - 5 days of bare-bones WiFi!).

Anyway, to return: …. Often, when I am successful and make a perfect  ‘ess’ (careful) for myself, - I will stop and enjoy the sheer grace and ‘rightness’ with which a lowly stub nib, and glorious ama-iro have endowed a simple shape. Well done!

And now, the therapist…….

I hope that someone who knows how, can picture that tantalizing ‘ess’ for me.

I strive mostly for legibility in my handwriting. Sometimes a particular pen seems to invite the occasional flourish but nothing elaborate and they don't interfere with readability. Since I get actual pleasure from writing with a fountain pen (as distinct from other kinds of pens) I get practice writing every day and so have gotten a little better. But not many people see my writing, so compliments are infrequent.

I do occasionally get compliments on my signature, where I allow a little more flourish while maintaining recognizable letter shapes. I do so dislike those electronic signature occasions where one is required to used one's finger or a mouse or even an electronic "pen" but there is nothing to be done about them so I scrawl whatever I can on them and then strive to forget. 

The comment about my handwriting, both print and cursive is usually that it is legible and neat . . . for a Left-hander!  If pressed, (it does happen) I mention that I was enrolled in both a Catholic and Anglican elementary schools.  In the 50's, parochial schools taught writing Right Handed.  After being disciplined by the Sisters, I complained to my dear Father.  Daddy went to speak with them, and I was 'allowed' to use my left hand to write, however it was expected to be as good as or better than those of my classmates.  I write 'underhand' with my paper canted to the right.  

People say i have beautiful handwriting.  

I know enough about calligraphy to understand my flaws & be modest about my hand.  However, i’m not going to argue with people giving me a compliment.  

It’s only true when i use a fountain pen anyway.

My handwriting was so bad back in 5th grade that they made me take remedial handwriting. Fountain pens have improved my writing by slowing me down, but it is still bad when I go fast. The other day on my daughter's birthday when she was opening cards, she picked up a card and said oh this one was from her friend Carolyn because of how pretty her name was written on the outside. To her surprise it was from me. Later she grabbed another card and said, surely this is from Carolyn and again it was from me. I have my moments...

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

9 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

My handwriting was so bad back in 5th grade that they made me take remedial handwriting. Fountain pens have improved my writing by slowing me down, but it is still bad when I go fast. The other day on my daughter's birthday when she was opening cards, she picked up a card and said oh this one was from her friend Carolyn because of how pretty her name was written on the outside. To her surprise it was from me. Later she grabbed another card and said, surely this is from Carolyn and again it was from me. I have my moments...

If they had a remedial handwriting class in my school when I was in elementary school, I would have been there. Instead I just received "C"s on my report card for penmanship. One "enlightened" teacher even gave me a "D" in order to "motivate" me. My fifth grade teacher told me not to worry about penmanship; in Junior High, it was no longer graded. She also told me that I was intelligent enough, I could become a physician, where illegible handwriting is a hallmark of the profession. 

As an adult, I took a Calligraphy Class at a local art store with my mother. I learned that if I slowed down, practiced, and paid attention, my handwriting could be legible and neat. I am always surprised now when someone compliments my handwriting. Fountain pens help with this. Not having to push on the nib relaxes my hand and makes it easier to write. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.