Fritz Schimpf sundowner (rich orange)

brokenclay

Fritz Schimpf is a stationer in Tübingen, Germany, and this is one of their seven (as of this writing) house-branded inks.

sundowner is (just as it says) a rich orange. I find the choice of name for this ink somewhat weird (the German word I want to use is ulkig); "sundown" means one thing, but "sundowner" has several not very lovely meanings. The ink is available in a 30ml bottle for 5.49€. It's also part of a four ink set for 19.95€.

This ink was a pleasant surprise. I would not normally buy orange ink, but I like this and I will use it. I find the description provided by Fritz Schimpf to be quite accurate: it's somewhat wet, and it shades very nicely. It ranges from peach through orange to red.

(I forgot to attribute the poem on the writing sample. It's by Barry Spacks.)

large.3D5F5D98-11D0-4942-8EBA-4DBDABB05844.jpeg.af3d184756783d47270260e1090ed3ed.jpeg

large.EB8317AB-FD20-4B17-AD04-8671DB028BE9.jpeg.8b1499ebf1e384ef628dc7c49cb9f581.jpeg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• brokenclay

• Frank C

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you so much again for doing these - this one's another that I very much like the look of. I'm just waiting for them to be back in stock now!

Thanks for continuing the series! :)  This is another of those inks I'd have to see in person before deciding.  Appreciate the review.

8 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you so much again for doing these - this one's another that I very much like the look of. I'm just waiting for them to be back in stock now!

7 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Thanks for continuing the series! :)  This is another of those inks I'd have to see in person before deciding.  Appreciate the review.

My pleasure, just had to wait for another pen to be empty (my personal limit on inked pens seems to be something less than 10, so inking up 7 more pens at once would have made my head explode). This makes all seven of the current Fritz Schimpf inks.

29 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

My pleasure, just had to wait for another pen to be empty (my personal limit on inked pens seems to be something less than 10, so inking up 7 more pens at once would have made my head explode). This makes all seven of the current Fritz Schimpf inks.

Thanks for posting this. I am interested in all these Fritz-Schimpf inks. I agree that I rarely have a use for orange ink, but this one is dark enough to be useful. Please do not ink up so many pens that your head explodes; If it does, please do not post photographs. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

50 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

This makes all seven of the current Fritz Schimpf inks.

Ah, good to know - otherwise the suspense might have killed me! ;)

17 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I enjoy these reviews for the elegance of your handwriting. Such a pleasure :thumbup:

You're so kind - thank you!

I agree - this is a very nice version of a color I usually avoid.

Based on what you have shown us, my favorites have been Misty Violet and Stormy Blue, followed by Rainy Grey, Relaxed Purple, and Intense Rosy Dawn Red (this one is growing on me), then Sundowner, and, last, Rusty Red. All of them are attractive and, at the price, I would order all of them if there were a reasonable shipping cost. 

Thanks again for another great peek at one of these inks - as well as all of the rest of them! 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 10:35 PM, brokenclay said:

Fritz Schimpf is a stationer in Tübingen, Germany, and this is one of their seven (as of this writing) house-branded inks.

sundowner is (just as it says) a rich orange. I find the choice of name for this ink somewhat weird (the German word I want to use is ulkig); "sundown" means one thing, but "sundowner" has several not very lovely meanings. The ink is available in a 30ml bottle for 5.49€. It's also part of a four ink set for 19.95€.

This ink was a pleasant surprise. I would not normally buy orange ink, but I like this and I will use it. I find the description provided by Fritz Schimpf to be quite accurate: it's somewhat wet, and it shades very nicely. It ranges from peach through orange to red.

The ink is a very lovely shader, and I agree, it is one of the most legible orange inks I have ever tried, with notes of red, brown, and peach.

I think something got lost in translation, especially in the American sense: the inspiration for the "sundowner" name might have been better captured by the German version: der Dämmerschoppen. That maybe doesn't sound all that great either, but the idea is a pleasant one. Think of a quiet summer evening on the terrace with a few friends, a tasty (maybe even fruity, if that is your thing) cocktail in hand, while watching a brilliant sunset with a yellow sun under and orange/red sky in the twilight.

The overview of the ink on the Fritz Schimpf website describes the idea behind the name reasonably well. 

2 hours ago, N1003U said:

I think something got lost in translation, especially in the American sense

I agree, obwohl sich die Tinte auf der deutschen Seite auch "sundowner" nennt.

7 hours ago, brokenclay said:

I agree, obwohl sich die Tinte auf der deutschen Seite auch "sundowner" nennt.

Ja stimmt, aber ich vermute, dass die Lösung dieses Rätsels tiefe und empfindliche kulturelle Wurzeln berühren könnte.

I think the shortest way to explain it (without getting further off-topic than we already are) is that the word “sundowner” possibly belongs to a class of words in the Denglish dialect that sound interesting and exotic and evoke a sense of coolness to certain pre-conditioned ears. This sense of coolness can sometimes lead to interesting marketing decisions being „gegreenlightet“...

This is a great topic for an off-line exchange, perhaps written written in a Fritz-Schimpf ink.

FFCDD7F7-64C5-4EF1-A5DE-6F232007339B.jpeg

On 6/5/2021 at 11:45 PM, Frank C said:

Thanks for posting this. I am interested in all these Fritz-Schimpf inks. I agree that I rarely have a use for orange ink, but this one is dark enough to be useful. Please do not ink up so many pens that your head explodes; If it does, please do not post photographs. 

🙂 Concur with no exploded-head pictures.

In my experience, as orange inks go, this is one of the most legible I have used. It has tons of shading in the brown/red direction that is to me less "retina-searing" than many orange inks. It is still orange, and will never be confused for a solid blue-black, or even red, so it has it's challenges as an every-day ink, but it is still IMHO quite readable and very playful.

8 hours ago, Uncial said:

I like the look of this. Might get a bottle

At 5.49€ for a 30ml bottle, or 19.95€ as part of a four-bottle set (including sundowner and three other interesting colors, a total of 120ml of ink), there is not, in my view, much risk in checking it out.

Inside Germany, shipping is a flat 5€, and free over 50€ total order value. Inside the EU it is 15€/500€. Outside the EU, it is a crêpe*-shoot, but IME a flat 30€ to N. America. So of you are outside the EU and order a couple of other items, the VAT savings can easily cover the postage.

*for some reason the auto-moderator keeps bleeping out the name of a common table dice game as somehow obscene...curious.

7 hours ago, N1003U said:

Inside Germany, shipping is a flat 5€, and free over 50€ total order value. Inside the EU it is 15€/500€. Outside the EU, it is a crêpe*-shoot, but IME a flat 30€ to N. America. So of you are outside the EU and order a couple of other items, the VAT savings can easily cover the postage.

*for some reason the auto-moderator keeps bleeping out the name of a common table dice game as somehow obscene...curious.

Living in Las Vegas, Nevada, I know that the game is called, "craps". Let's see if that works. And if that works, maybe "crapshoot". 

I have to say that I do like "crêpe*-shoot", it creates an interesting mental picture. :rolleyes:

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

50 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Living in Las Vegas, Nevada, I know that the game is called, "craps". Let's see if that works. And if that works, maybe "crapshoot". 

I have to say that I do like "crêpe*-shoot", it creates an interesting mental picture. :rolleyes:

and...you passed. Apparently plural is OK, as a compound word is OK, as a singular is not. More curious.

When I was growing up in the American South "cr*p" became a somewhat more polite substitute for "sh*t". Mildly acceptable for kids to say. 

The auto-moderator is a real prude. 

Edited by PithyProlix
Auto-moderator beeped "cr*p" and "sh*t".

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Very nice review!  Thank you for taking the time to do it.  This is a nice darker orange that does not seem to shade as much as some oranges.  But Fritz Schimpf does have some nice ink colors.  

I spend a lot of time in rural parts of the western U.S.  In the late 1800's the term "sundowner" did have a not-so-positive connotation.  But knowing that, I believe that the name adds a certain "flavor" to the ink that it would not have had before.  But I appreciate the mental picture that a "crepe-shoot" takes on.  It reminds me of the "cow-pie toss" you see at a lot of rodeos in this west this time of year.  Who knows, it might become a new Olympic sport.  (Sorry for the off color remark). 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today