Esterbrook Estie Bock nib?

Emma

Hi everyone,

Can I ask the list's wisdom on whether a Bock 6 nib will screw into an Esterbrook Estie (normal size, not oversize)? I think the current nib is a JoWo 6, but would love to replace with a solid gold or titanium nib. I'm based in the UK so have been looking at Beaufort Inks Bock 6s: https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bock-fountain-pen-nibs/bock-standard-size-6-fountain-pen-nibs-type-250/bock-fountain-pen-nib-with-bock-housing-6-14k-solid-gold-extra-fine

I do have the Esterbrook nib connector for this pen too, but haven't been able to source any vintage nibs for this pen in the UK alas!

Thanks for your help. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emma

• antoniosz

• BamaPen

• mizgeorge

I just got this pen about 10 days ago.  I was told from the store owner that this is indeed a #6 JoWo. 
I had few Bexleys that I though that hade a JoWo #6.  They look very similar but they did not work. 
Sorry for the inconclusive answer.  I did get the converter and I have been trying my vintage Renew Points.
The 1461 that came with it was OK, but couple of the Renew points that I tried were rather tight.  I will test more soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 4:11 AM, antoniosz said:

I just got this pen about 10 days ago.  I was told from the store owner that this is indeed a #6 JoWo. 
I had few Bexleys that I though that hade a JoWo #6.  They look very similar but they did not work. 
Sorry for the inconclusive answer.  I did get the converter and I have been trying my vintage Renew Points.
The 1461 that came with it was OK, but couple of the Renew points that I tried were rather tight.  I will test more soon.

Thanks so much for the response. I'll keep exploring. The Estie nibs are really smooth but it would be great to try a Bock if it fits!

A Bock nib can't be fitted into a JoWo housing without a fair bit of wrangling, It is possible, but involves bending the nib a little from breather hole to tip to get decent flow. 

You can't use a Bock housing, as the threading is different, so you can either get a JoWo gold nib (quick and easy solution), or fit a vintage gold nib into an old Esterbrook housing to use with your converter. Not the easiest as the housings can be a little bit fragile, but I've done this several times with old Osmiroid nibs that have the same fitting, and a great deal cheaper. There are some great old nibs out there, even if it means buying a pen to harvest it from. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 3:58 PM, mizgeorge said:

A Bock nib can't be fitted into a JoWo housing without a fair bit of wrangling, It is possible, but involves bending the nib a little from breather hole to tip to get decent flow. 

You can't use a Bock housing, as the threading is different, so you can either get a JoWo gold nib (quick and easy solution), or fit a vintage gold nib into an old Esterbrook housing to use with your converter. Not the easiest as the housings can be a little bit fragile, but I've done this several times with old Osmiroid nibs that have the same fitting, and a great deal cheaper. There are some great old nibs out there, even if it means buying a pen to harvest it from. 

I swapped a 14K no-name vintage nib into an Esterbrook Renew Point housing and really enjoy the results. The trick, of course, is finding a 14K nib that is the size of an Esterbrook nib. I suppose I was lucky to find such a match among the nibs I had harvested from old pens that were beyond restoration. My gold nib is wider than the Esterbrook nib, but its back end slims down and matches the width of the Esterbrook. It also has the same curvature.  Here's a writeup I posted describing the process: https://cigarboxpenstorage.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/frankenpen-iii-½/

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 8:04 AM, BamaPen said:

I swapped a 14K no-name vintage nib into an Esterbrook Renew Point housing and really enjoy the results. The trick, of course, is finding a 14K nib that is the size of an Esterbrook nib. I suppose I was lucky to find such a match among the nibs I had harvested from old pens that were beyond restoration. My gold nib is wider than the Esterbrook nib, but its back end slims down and matches the width of the Esterbrook. It also has the same curvature.  Here's a writeup I posted describing the process: https://cigarboxpenstorage.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/frankenpen-iii-½/

I just tried swapping nibs for a non Estie nib for the first time. It was way easier than I imagined. I had a Dauer Feder 4 nib in my spare nibs box and it fit perfectly. I may need to tune the nib a little but I’m very impressed with the results and look forward to experimenting with other nib swap possibilities. 

cheers,

Paula