Keeping track of correspondence?

Eoghan2009

I have developed the habit of writing the date of reply on the back of the envelope.  I briefly note the topics covered as bullet points.  The address and names of pets etc... go on an index card.  I prefer low-tech to high, probably why I am a FP'er.

What do other people do?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• knarflj

• Eoghan2009

• brokenclay

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great idea.

I've tried a couple of things but right now I keep any unreplied to letters in the first pocket of my letter paper folder, and I've started a spreadsheet for things I want to keep an eye out to include in future so for one of my penpals if I think of anything good to answer "what's it like living in Scotland" I can make a note of it somewhere, and for another I can keep an eye out for any bits of information I come across on historical battles fought in my city that give him a more varied/interesting/understandable approach than my three page attempt to sum up multiple wars, how they affected Dundee, and also some of the context on them.

I'd like to try something more comprehensive at some point but will probably do so through trial and error.

I have a file folder for each correspondent. I make a copy of letters I write (usually 2-up and double sided to save paper) and file them along with the letter received. 

I have a physical folder for each of my regular correspondents, plus one for infrequent and one time only writers.  I do not make a hard copy of the letters I send out, but I scan them and keep the scans on my computer; I also scan my received letters, even though I keep the actual letters.  I got into this habit because I used to travel quite a lot on business, and I could then look at letters I had received and written on my laptop, in the evenings when I had time to write.

The purpose of scanning what I write is to review when I write a pen friend again, and avoid being too redundant.

On my Macs (whatever I put on my desktop automatically populates on my laptop and iPad), I have a main folder in 'Documents,' labeled 'Personal Correspondence;' in that folder is a subfolder for each of my pen friends.  By looking at the date a file was created, I can tell about when I received it as I usually scan each letter within two days of receipt.

I'll probably go to fountain pen hell for mixing in this modern technology, but it works for me.

I have a passport-sized notebook. In it, on the pages, I have double-column entries: "letters in" and "letters out". I abbreviate the name of the correspondent and enter the date. I cross off entries as I either send one out or receive one in. No notes, details, etc. I'm sure that I have repeated myself. Oh well. I keep the most recent letters in, but I throw all the old ones out. I certainly keep nothing that I write (that flabbergasts me). 

Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) once write a little book that I think was titled Eight or Nine Wise Words about Letter-Writing.  Near the end of the book he describes his system for keeping track of his own correspondence.  It works fairly well for me, although my own correspondence is not nearly so extensive as his--or probably as some folks here, either.  The book is in the public domain, so you can probably find it more than one place online, but the applicable chapter is here, at least: https://www.hoboes.com/FireBlade/Fiction/Carroll/Words/Letters5/

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

Thanks, 

That is very helpful.  Letter writing and correspondence (sustained letter writing?) is a lost art.  We no longer have contemporary examples from which to learn.  Going back to Lewis Caroll does not surprise me as being beneficial, it is that generation that was probably the last to take correspondence seriously.  My index cards have the address along with significant facts, but I am moving towards a folder for each correspondent.  Some are proving to be long term correspondents, others not.  I have never knowingly failed to reply and I would like to keep it that way.  I am inclined to go with keeping copies, either digital or hard.  Photographing the page is nice and quick, my printer scanner is in another room and networked but clumsy to use.

Fountain pen hell might be theologically false but emotionally it is definitely true.  Having noticed my tendency to low tech I now embrace it (pocket watch, brass weights for kitchen scales, index cards over a spreadsheet etc...)

I prefer to use as little paper and save as many trees as possible so I don't make copies of my letters out. I make a few quick notes in my journal about what points I mentioned. When a letter comes in I write the date on the envelope and the top of the letter.

On 6/3/2021 at 6:12 AM, Eoghan2009 said:

I have developed the habit of writing the date of reply on the back of the envelope.  I briefly note the topics covered as bullet points.  The address and names of pets etc... go on an index card.  I prefer low-tech to high, probably why I am a FP'er.

What do other people do?

Since my memory is turning to goo, I write it on a card, by month: Incoming, by name, and then a check mark next to the name when I reply.  

I would normally just pile up correspondence, envelopes and all, but they've been quarantined, with the envelopes being ditched.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

22 hours ago, knarflj said:

Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) once write a little book that I think was titled Eight or Nine Wise Words about Letter-Writing.  Near the end of the book he describes his system for keeping track of his own correspondence.  It works fairly well for me, although my own correspondence is not nearly so extensive as his--or probably as some folks here, either.  The book is in the public domain, so you can probably find it more than one place online, but the applicable chapter is here, at least: https://www.hoboes.com/FireBlade/Fiction/Carroll/Words/Letters5/

I'm unlikely to adopt Dodgson's correspondence tracking system, but I certainly enjoyed the rest of his Eight or Nine Wise Words: https://www.hoboes.com/FireBlade/Fiction/Carroll/Words/

Thank you for posting this link!

1 hour ago, brokenclay said:

I'm unlikely to adopt Dodgson's correspondence tracking system, but I certainly enjoyed the rest of his Eight or Nine Wise Words: https://www.hoboes.com/FireBlade/Fiction/Carroll/Words/

Thank you for posting this link!

You're welcome!  I should probably read it again one of these days. :)

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

• 2 weeks later...

I keep all letters in their envelopes. Note on each one: reply date, how many pages, any pictures or other papers enclosed and what the pictures showed. It's easier for me to compose a letter using an old MacBook laptop, save, then write the letter with a fountain pen section by section later as I am able to (hand issues). So, I have a record of in and out, and can take my time writing the letter itself, although the final result is never exactly what I composed in draft. Of course. That is the joy of thoughtful prose.

I also keep a sheet of addresses of correspondents and "log" under each address by hand when a letter is sent. It helps keep track of correct addresses and a quick reference to things.

Been doing the above system for years and it goes quickly and easily. Fun stuff.

kamuela