New! Green and White Pelikan M605

OCArt

This pen color is a bright green. I would define it as a grassy green. A very fresh and happy color. I do use the bright light of my iPhone to check the ink level once in a while. It is a very easy method to use and not a real inconvenience, at least is not for me.

I was surprised to learn about caps cracking. Right now I have the green/white and another all white Pelikan inked. So I went to look at them and there they were, both white caps showed thin cracks. Oh no! I could not believe it but there they were. So I took another look at both of them and then took a tissue and cleaned the inside of one of the caps and surprise! the "crack" was gone. It was an ink line probably produced by the inked nib as I was putting back the cap.

Then I went to look at the other one (from the new green/white pen) and took a picture before attempting to clean it, another one after cleaning part, and then one more when I cleaned the whole cap.  So I can happily report that at least my white pens have their caps intact. I own three of the all white pens and have at least one always inked and never had a problem with staining. But I always clean them with a tissue after inking them. 

Gigi

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• sirgilbert357

• Lam1

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, GigiT said:

cleaned the inside of one of the caps and surprise! the "crack" was gone.

Relieved, I bet you were. Congrats on that grand looking pen.

Cheers.

Thank you!

And yes, I was very relieved that both caps were fine. Also because I am waiting for another white Pelikan to arrive, the white/tortoise M400.

Gigi

Spoiler
Spoiler

On 6/3/2021 at 12:58 AM, Uncial said:

Yeah...but its still not an m800

There are other 600's I like more.

I prefer the great balance and lesser but still adequate girth of a 600 to a clunky 800.

Besides which I can put in a regular flex '82-97 or 200's regular flex nib or a vintage semi-flex '50-65 nib.

I don't care for the modern 600's semi-nail nor the modern 800's nail nib.

I have a W.Germany 800 with a nice regular flex nib, but it still lacks balance.

My silver 915 Hunter Toledo is 800 size and heavy. Pretty though.; so one doesn't expect balance.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My green-white arrived from Appelboom. I got the F nib grind to a stub. Writes like a dream!

My favorite out of all white M60x is still the white transparent. I call it the “Ghost”, maybe being able to see the ink level has something to do with it. 

DBD673B9-A414-493C-9097-F45C72648CE5.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I'm just wondering: can't the cracks be as frequent on the black versions as well, but be imperceptible to the eye because of the black resin hiding them better?

I just checked my pens. Out of 4 white pens, 2 have small cracks on the caps: a pelikan m400 white tortoise, and m600 pink. Sadly no more in waranty.

I don't even post my pens, not even the 400, and I don't know of anyone to "baby" them as much as I do. I think I have filled them at most 5 times each. This is so awkward since I just ordered this green one on a Black Friday discount. Now, I'm so torn, cause I don't know if I should cancel the order or not. I really like these white Pelikan's. Hmmmm...

I had the problem with my M600 white turquoise, but since replacement the cap has behaved perfectly.

Perhaps Pelikan has fixed the problem, but I am convinced the white M60x cracking issuers are, if not real, at least above average.

1 hour ago, Waltz For Zizi said:

Now, I'm so torn, cause I don't know if I should cancel the order or not. I really like these white Pelikan's. Hmmmm...

Well, then, you're always going to have that internal struggle, irrespective of what you do with this order. Much in the same vein as wanting to see ink slosh around inside a clear demonstrator that uses the barrel directly as the reservoir, but dreading to see staining of the barrel's material, or something stuck on the side of or behind the piston plug, etc. There is no certainty as to whether the known undesirable consequences will or will not happen with a particular pen, and it'll always be up to you to make an informed decision to take a risk on something you want (and would dread missing out on) or forgo it. Which do you dread more?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Contact Pelikan in Hanover, perhaps they will work around the waranty. Especially given how little you have used Both pens. 

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Well, then, you're always going to have that internal struggle, irrespective of what you do with this order. Much in the same vein as wanting to see ink slosh around inside a clear demonstrator that uses the barrel directly as the reservoir, but dreading to see staining of the barrel's material, or something stuck on the side of or behind the piston plug, etc. There is no certainty as to whether the known undesirable consequences will or will not happen with a particular pen, and it'll always be up to you to make an informed decision to take a risk on something you want (and would dread missing out on) or forgo it. Which do you dread more?

Well, I just canceled the order.

P.S. I checked all my other non white Pelikan pens, and from 5 I did find a small crack on the cap of an m800 blue striped.

I think I can live without this green-white since I'm also missing the violet-white one. The funny thing is 2 years ago I ordered that violet one but when it got to me it was not how a Pelikan should be: it had some glue marks on the grip section, half of the clip was colored like an oil spot/multicolored, and the tip of the clip was not properly molded. That was a weird experience, sadly the retailer did not have another to replace it back then so I got a refund. Maybe the universe is trying to warn me. 

• 2 months later...

Well, with supplies dwindling at my favorite suppliers, combined with a decent promotional discount at one of those suppliers, I finally pulled the trigger on a white/green M605.

I must say, I like the way it looks. It is a nice medium green, and I am happy Pelikan went with rhodium instead of gold (though gold furniture might have worked well, too). I don’t detect any out-of-roundness or other issues with the cap, either. Whatever that was with the white caps, it seems to be solved.

The pen writes like every other every other M6xx in my flock, which is to say outstandingly, and the M600 is probably my favorite Pelikan size. I was surprised that in a strong backlight it is possible to see the ink in the pen.

I think I am happy with the purchase.

452F8BB5-B3D0-4BF0-B528-6493E9F82E18.jpeg

I thought with stripped Pelikans if one held it up to the light window or overhead...not strong back-light....one can see the ink. Can on my stripped ones; but they are semi-vintage and vintage.

11 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I thought with stripped Pelikans if one held it up to the light window or overhead...not strong back-light....one can see the ink. Can on my stripped ones; but they are semi-vintage and vintage.

11 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Some of the newer LE stripes don’t have transparent stripes like the regular production models, and they are really tough to see through.

good to know.