New! Green and White Pelikan M605

OCArt

looks nice 1538540374_ScreenShot2021-06-02at1_55_49PM.thumb.png.6a665acaa72695638a4a69d57c964247.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• N1003U

• sirgilbert357

• Lam1

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Uncial said:

Yeah...but its still not an m800

I was thinking the same thing.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

14 hours ago, OCArt said:

looks nice 1538540374_ScreenShot2021-06-02at1_55_49PM.thumb.png.6a665acaa72695638a4a69d57c964247.png

Thanks for the post. Just when I thought I was safe for a while from new M600s... 😃

3 hours ago, aimi said:

This pen looks minty. Second Pelikan that evokes some aroma for me (first being the Pelikan Cafe Creme).

I think I will wait for a couple of reviews of this one. I wonder how dark the green really is, but it is an attractive pen.

Maybe closer to lime than mint?

I've figured out that I just do not like white or white-ish pens, and that saves me a lot of decision making trouble. It's pretty, but not something I would want.

56 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

I've figured out that I just do not like white or white-ish pens, and that saves me a lot of decision making trouble. It's pretty, but not something I would want.

Passing on this one is especially good if you are budget conscious: the initial pricing I am seeing is scary...Appelboom has the M605 listed for 430EUR and the K605 for 310EUR. That would be, up to now M800 pricing. Certainly seems to be an aggressive pricing strategy that is betting on inelasticity in demand. Will be interesting to see if it sticks.

I don't hear a lot of talk about inflation on the evening news, but if the commodities markets and the increases my vendors are pushing onto me (without even asking first--it is an "if I don't like it I can get out of line" sort of an attitude) are any indication, inflation and increasing costs of living will be news soon.

Pelikan made an M605 in my favourite colour? Better put some money aside for when it ships to retailers!

3 minutes ago, anemography said:

Pelikan made an M605 in my favourite colour? Better put some money aside for when it ships to retailers!

Yes, it  certainly seems Pelikan and their dealers are betting on enough fans who will cough up the extra cash. If the real thing is as attractive as the press pictures, it will be a real looker.

Glad I picked the red torty which is giving me real joy. This pen doesn't really deliver for me, and the colours are not to my mind quite as nice as the much cheaper M200 pastel green. 

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

It looks great, I like green pens so I am tempted... but...

i remember that concerns were raised about white caps prone to hairline cracks when posting (eg the violet-white, the tortoise white) and it was suggested that it may be to do with the plastic resin used for white caps.  

so unfortunately I may give this pen a miss, unless it was definitely proved that the people affected by cracks in white caps were simply unlucky, or whether it was actually a manufacturing issue that has been resolved.

~ @OCArt: Thank you for posting this information.

The green and white colors are striking.

Tom K.

42 minutes ago, Pingu said:

i remember that concerns were raised about white caps prone to hairline cracks when posting (eg the violet-white, the tortoise white) and it was suggested that it may be to do with the plastic resin used for white caps.  

so unfortunately I may give this pen a miss, unless it was definitely proved that the people affected by cracks in white caps were simply unlucky, or whether it was actually a manufacturing issue that has been resolved.

I would also like to know if the new white caps are better... I had to get mine replaced on my M600 turquoise. Granted my two cracks were minuscule but they bothered me that they existed anyways. 

If I found a super deal on this, I might be tempted.  But not to the level of some of the other M600 and white pens, like the M600 Violet and White.  And yeah, the cap cracked on that one, which I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't suck ink into the crack, so now it's really obvious.... 😞

Given a great deal on this vs. a great deal on either the Pink and White or the Turquoise and White, the Green and White would be a distant third.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Of course at this point, the odds of a deal on the Pink and White are between "slim" and "none"....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

12 hours ago, Pingu said:

12 hours ago, aimi said:

I would also like to know if the new white caps are better... I had to get mine replaced on my M600 turquoise. Granted my two cracks were minuscule but they bothered me that they existed anyways. 

I can contribute at least data points based on my experience: both my Turquoise and Violet M600s experienced cap cracks in normal use. The Turquoise cap had a hairline crack originating at the cap rim an propagating up about 15mm longitudinally along the length of the cap. It also developed 4 tiny cracks between the cap rings, exactly over the webbing that maintains the pacing between the cap rings. The Violet developed 4 long longitudinal cracks above the cap rings, almost perfectly 90 degrees apart. My suspicion, based on the behavior of the caps before damage and upon close inspection of the cracks themselves (two of four longitudinal cracks on the Violet, 180 degrees apart, from the shape of the damage, seem to have evidence of tension along the outside surface (adjacent micro cracking), while the other two cracks seem to have evidence of tension on the inside surface. This behavior is often indicative of a part that is either out-of-round and forced into a round loading, or round, and forced into an out-of-round loading. It can also be indicative of parts within tolerance that are too brittle.

Unfortunately, I only have one (bad) photo of the original cap from the Turquoise. The crack shown actually extends about 5mm further up (down in the photo) from where the ink stain makes it obvious.

Both caps were replaced quickly and without question under warranty, and I have not had a similar problem since.

Such anecdotal evidence it not proof that the problem has been solved, but it is a marker in that direction. 

Do others have similar, or contradictory, experiences?

EDIT: for those thinking and/or worrying about staining: yes, if you really abuse the white material with saturated inks, they can stain (the ink in the picture is Kon-peki). On the other hand, I have not had a stain on any of my white pens that did not quickly and completely disappear after agitating with a little bit of pen flush.

FF083595-C6B2-466A-BB22-6C9438EFFC2B.jpeg

46 minutes ago, N1003U said:

I can contribute at least data points based on my experience: both my Turquoise and Violet M600s experienced cap cracks in normal use. The Turquoise cap had a hairline crack originating at the cap rim an propagating up about 15mm longitudinally along the length of the cap. It also developed 4 tiny cracks between the cap rings, exactly over the webbing that maintains the pacing between the cap rings. The Violet developed 4 long longitudinal cracks above the cap rings, almost perfectly 90 degrees apart. My suspicion, based on the behavior of the caps before damage and upon close inspection of the cracks themselves (two of four longitudinal cracks on the Violet, 180 degrees apart, from the shape of the damage, seem to have evidence of tension along the outside surface (adjacent micro cracking), while the other two cracks seem to have evidence of tension on the inside surface. This behavior is often indicative of a part that is either out-of-round and forced into a round loading, or round, and forced into an out-of-round loading. It can also be indicative of parts within tolerance that are too brittle.

Unfortunately, I only have one (bad) photo of the original cap from the Turquoise. The crack shown actually extends about 5mm further up (down in the photo) from where the ink stain makes it obvious.

Both caps were replaced quickly and without question under warranty, and I have not had a similar problem since.

Such anecdotal evidence it not proof that the problem has been solved, but it is a marker in that direction. 

Do others have similar, or contradictory, experiences?

I talked about this with others here when I was being very annoyed at the existence of my cap cracks, and we came to the same conclusion that the white caps may have had issues being perfectly round. My hairline crack was similar to yours but smaller as I caught it early (Pelikan even insisted they didn't see it at first). I had one between the cap rings as well that did not spread beyond that. Did your caps also post somewhat loosely? I have always posted my pens growing up, and the M600 Turquoise showed me just how fast one can unlearn a habit if there's negative reinforcement happening...

3 hours ago, aimi said:

I talked about this with others here when I was being very annoyed at the existence of my cap cracks, and we came to the same conclusion that the white caps may have had issues being perfectly round. My hairline crack was similar to yours but smaller as I caught it early (Pelikan even insisted they didn't see it at first). I had one between the cap rings as well that did not spread beyond that. Did your caps also post somewhat loosely? I have always posted my pens growing up, and the M600 Turquoise showed me just how fast one can unlearn a habit if there's negative reinforcement happening...

I did not notice it on the Turquoise, but on the Violet the cap was very loose when posted, in one direction only (i.e., the cap rotated (wiggled) a lot in one direction, but was tight in the direction normal (90 degrees) to the wiggle), which also supports the out-of-round hypothesis.

As the problem seems widespread, and also now maybe corrected, makes me wonder what the root cause might have been (bad ring components, defective resin material, defective tooling, or some combination thereof would be my first suspects). I am guessing only Pelikan knows for sure, and I would bet they are not ever going to tell. They certainly replaced my caps quickly and without question. I am fortunate to be in Germany at present, so I could use Pelikan's direct factory warranty service, which based on this experience, was great.

The Souveräns/(Souveräne) are designed to be posted, and at least speaking for the M200/400/600, that don't benefit from the back-weighting of metal piston assembly components as in the M800 and M1000, the smaller pens for many folks don't really exhibit their outstanding balance until they are posted. I virtually always post my M2xx/4xx/6xx pens, and virtually never the M10xx pens. The M8xx I typically don't post when seated at a desk (I like the balance better unposted), but in constrained circumstances, I will post M8xxs for convenience.

Trying to get back on topic: I really do like the looks of this new Green/White M605, and my hesitation is more to wait and see what the real world color looks like, and if I like it enough to swallow the steep price increase, rather than any particular quality concerns. Based on current and historical experience, I choose to trust Pelikan on that for now.

I'm pretty much committed to only having the M800 size in my collection, so I am 95% immune to any new M600 releases (I would buy an M600 if the colors/resin was too beautiful for me to say no to though). Aside from that, I think this pen is an unappealing shade of green. None of you will have to compete with me to get one!

12 minutes ago, sirgilbert357 said:

I'm pretty much committed to only having the M800 size in my collection, so I am 95% immune to any new M600 releases (I would buy an M600 if the colors/resin was too beautiful for me to say no to though). Aside from that, I think this pen is an unappealing shade of green. None of you will have to compete with me to get one!

We seem to have complementary tastes. The above quote could have come from me, except with "M800" and "M600" swapped. :)

I have a couple of classic M800 models, and a few SE/LE models that were "too beautiful for me to say no to", and one or two other out-of-production M8xxs on a list that I will add to my flock if the price is right. The M8xx feels really good in my hand unposted.

On the other hand, every new M6xx model is potentially interesting to me. I am hoping the real-world color is a medium green comparable to the classic green/black model, which is one of my favorite pens, and I would enjoy the contrast of the white accents. Then of course comes the question is if I am willing to swallow the price increase. We'll see how the street pricing settles out when enough stock is out on shelves.