PIF Lettering Pens

essayfaire

Hello all,

I was left these pens, which are handsome and in excellent condition but for which I have no use.  The forums have helped me id them as old lettering pens, which I believe were used by my husband's grandfather, so they are most likely antique.  I have one or possibly two sets.  To enter, please explain what composer or author would have best used these pens and why.  

The winner or winners will be randomly picked from eligible entries.  If you are outside the U.S. please only enter if you are willing to pick up shipping costs.

Good luck to all!

775914AE-1C41-40C2-B88B-9107F3DD110B.jpeg

3803A4D1-00CF-4B2D-B610-08EFEBCAB46F.jpeg

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daneaxe

• essayfaire

• Mar_

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would have best used a lettering pen?
Gosh, I'm not quite sure who would have Best used a lettering pen, I don't read novels often enough.

Mark Twain - Samuel Langhorne Clemens
He himself was a Fountain Pen user.

Perhaps he would have used these before he decided on a fountain pen he liked? Maybe he used these as a hobbyist?

Mark Twain used a
Conklin Crescent Filler

-

I'm quite younger than most here, but I am sure interested in these pens. I'd love to learn about them, I've tried to dig up more history on these exact ones but I find very little. I'd love to share this piece of history with newer people and also assure they're well kept while doing so.

-

I'll love to see other peoples entries and who'd they'd suggest. | I could have gone with authors from further in the past if I I could recall their names. I am also not well educated on classic composers.

MAR Watermark.png
fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Indiana . USA

I'm too far away to make it feasible to get a hold of any of those, but I would like to try writing with a dip pen.

As for writers who would/could/should use one of these, I would say the Danish author and philosopher, Søren Kierkegaard, who said:

"Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards."

Deep words. Very influential in modern philosophy, or so I've heard :)
He said a lot of other stuff which can be found
, some 'deep (bleep)' there - try searching for it.

Stay safe,
Daneaxe

On 6/3/2021 at 5:26 AM, Daneaxe said:

I'm too far away to make it feasible to get a hold of any of those, but I would like to try writing with a dip pen.

As for writers who would/could/should use one of these, I would say the Danish author and philosopher, Søren Kierkegaard, who said:

"Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards."

Deep words. Very influential in modern philosophy, or so I've heard :)
He said a lot of other stuff which can be found
, some 'deep (bleep)' there - try searching for it.

Stay safe,
Daneaxe

How much does it cost to ship US to Sweden?  Your response is certainly worthy of inclusion!  I've heard some things about Kierkegaard as well - most recently in a book I read called At the Existentialist Café by Sarah Bakewell.  

Festina lente

https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm

Through usps to Sweden, it depends on the service, weight, and some countries have variating prices.

To Sweden with a 5 pound package (this is just to get a general estimate )

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=10411&ccode=SE&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=6%2F7%2F2021&mdz=8%3A29&m=6&dvi=30&p=5

MAR Watermark.png

Indiana . USA

OMG..!! 😱  At least USD 60 $$$...!!

I'd have guessed 20 or so, which is still a big deal in my eyes, but that much is just a dealbreaker. Right, Essay?
I hope somebody in "ConUS" or thereabouts can take advantage of this historic offer.
Stay safe,
Daneaxe

Edit: if it's only 1 pound or so, you can do it for $25 as the cheapest option, still a bit of change tho...

Edited by Daneaxe
Edite to add comment.

2 hours ago, Mar_ said:

To Sweden with a 5 pound package (this is just to get a general estimate )

👍 Thanks for looking it up and sharing the link.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Indeed A Smug Dill :) 

This is what google says for that too. I'm not sure how accurate it is but OUCH.

image.png.92934361dd7e138b7f683c73fd6b239f.png

MAR Watermark.png

Indiana . USA

Look like the SEK is a bit stronger today, Mar.
In this neck o' the woods (and Sweden is 90% woods), the thumb-rule is 10 kronor to 1 dollar.
PS: Fir & pine, almost all of it :D

I just weighed some of the pens in various combinations and checked the postal calculator. I can do a version under a pound, $25 for standard international service, $40 for small flat rate box independent of weight.  

Festina lente

11 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I just weighed some of the pens in various combinations and checked the postal calculator. I can do a version under a pound, $25 for standard international service, $40 for small flat rate box independent of weight.  

Not much of a PIF for me, I'm afraid. Could possibly find something similar in a vintage store at around $25 (or 250 Kr.) But if you choose to honor me with a few antique pens, I can only accept.

:)

So thanks a lot, Essay, I would happily give (some of) your pens a new home where they will be used now & then.

Off tangent: was looking at Goulet pens and their selection, lots of interesting stuff. But again, p&p would kill it. Found a real good web-penstore called Pure Pens in the UK which is also good, but now the Brexit is done and we have to pay customs on delivery ALSO. [Deep sigh]

Tick, tock... I want more entries please!  There must be more people interested in these....

Festina lente

Mar, you have won!  Please PM me your address so that I may arrange to send your goodies!

Daneaxe, check your current exchange rates! PM me - you may have some goodies if you so desire!

I don't know if it is the contest or the prize that warded off more competition...

Festina lente

12 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Daneaxe, check your current exchange rates! PM me - you may have some goodies if you so desire!

Thanks a lot, Essay - PM on the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this pif is closed but in case you are interested a modern artist that uses these types of pens for masking fluid with watercolors is Thierry Duval. If you look up thierryduvalaqua on Instagram, you can see some of his amazing photorealistic watercolor paintings.