How many Parker 51’s do you have?

TgeekB

I have at this moment: 7 pens

• Vac 51 - 3
  • Vac 51 Demi - 1
  • Aero 51 - 2
  • Aero Demi - 1
  • Pencils - 2

Plus, I have an Aero pen/pencil set its the way across the pond from Andy's Pens.

TBH, I thought it was more than that. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carguy

• VacNut

• TgeekB

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a side note, I generally switch pens quite frequently but have been using my aerometric exclusively this week. It has amazed me how much writing I am getting out of one fill! This is a true EDC pen. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

Down to a couple of dozen.  Mostly aerometrics.  Maybe some more kicking around needing restoration.  Instead of restoring the vacs, I bought two Wing Sung vac fillers.  Came with a filler remover.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

25 minutes ago, Wahl said:

Just a few Aeros

IMG_0480.JPG

Very nice! I’ve never tried to gather up the pencils to match mine….

I have no Parker 51s.  In fact, the only Parker I have is the 1960s vintage Duofold that was one of my late wife's school pens.

Tell me why I should buy a 51.

20 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I have no Parker 51s.  In fact, the only Parker I have is the 1960s vintage Duofold that was one of my late wife's school pens.

As many smarter than me have pointed out on here, you either love the 51 or you hate it. It has no flex, but generally always writes well. Not for everyone but I’m a fan of the 1940’s and 50’s, so it’s just right up my alley.

50 minutes ago, Carguy said:

As many smarter than me have pointed out on here, you either love the 51 or you hate it. It has no flex, but generally always writes well. Not for everyone but I’m a fan of the 1940’s and 50’s, so it’s just right up my alley.

Thanks.  With that, there is no need for me to rush out and buy one, especially since I am quite happy with Conway Stewarts, etc.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:39 PM, Glenn-SC said:

Oh, are we playing “lowest price paid in-the-wild”?

$4 for a 1st Year Blue Cedar with a Sterling Silver cap.  And the diaphragm worked/still works just fine. 

Well, that would be the prices paid for my two Empire sets.

They were purchased--within a three-week period--for less than $25 each.

The black set was in a lot of five pens for $35 for the lot and three weeks later, in another state, the Nassau set was in another lot of five pens for $60 for the lot. 

7 hours ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I guess that questions goes to the root of why we collect fountain pens at all. We all have our own attractions and compulsions. To each their own.

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

To each their own.

This is true.  Apparently my attraction and compulsion is predominately Conway Stewart.  I have x many vintage and soon to be a third current production CS pens, and has been pointed out to me, I can only write with one of them at a time

23 minutes ago, ParramattaPaul said:

This is true.  Apparently my attraction and compulsion is predominately Conway Stewart.  I have x many vintage and soon to be a third current production CS pens, and has been pointed out to me, I can only write with one of them at a time

Funny thing. I can only wear one pair of knickers at a time, but god help us if we only have one pair…

Just now, VacNut said:

Funny thing. I can only wear one pair of knickers at a time, but god help us if we only have one pair…

I shouldn’t speculate, some of us may wear two pairs…😂👍

2 hours ago, VacNut said:

I shouldn’t speculate, some of us may wear two pairs…😂👍

True. In fact I once knew a woman who did wear two pair at the same time. 

Despite only having one, lately it’s been getting the majority of my fountain pen usage. 

E   D   C

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

On 10/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, ParramattaPaul said:

Useful thread on "Why 51?" is here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/357955-parker-51-—-what-is-the-appeal/

All the best is only beginning now...

Well, I didn’t want another 51 so I bought a 45! 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade