Top Posters In This Topic

• Carguy

• VacNut

• TgeekB

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

Maybe easier if someone brings a suitcase full of cash to Turkey and return with the pens!👍😂

So I will come. But who would guide me to the places where the pens are found? ☺️

Khan M. Ilyas

5 hours ago, VacNut said:

Maybe easier if someone brings a suitcase full of cash to Turkey and return with the pens!👍😂

Sorry double post. ☺️

Khan M. Ilyas

Though always among my 3 or 4 favorite fountain pens, the 51 is moving closer to the top of my list each day. I have just under 100 now, having given away about a dozen in recent years to young collectors & writers who mostly have new fountain pens. Some have taken to the 51. 

Khan, you are such a genuine person and true 51 authority. You have a standing invitation to stay with us when you come to the US and visit the east coast pen shows. Likewise, once serious travel resumes, I hope to visit Pakistan and snoop around the markets for old fountain pens. Have seen quite a few 51s in Delhi & Lucknow.  Time for me to move northwest, cross the border, and hunt for pens with you, Khan.  Insh'allah. 

Stay healthy. 

Three. Two Aeros and a vac. Burgundy, teal and brown.

Even with such a small number, there's usually an inked 51 in the rotation.

So, that's only 997+ less than Mitto.

12 hours ago, Barry Gabay said:

Though always among my 3 or 4 favorite fountain pens, the 51 is moving closer to the top of my list each day. I have just under 100 now, having given away about a dozen in recent years to young collectors & writers who mostly have new fountain pens. Some have taken to the 51. 

Khan, you are such a genuine person and true 51 authority. You have a standing invitation to stay with us when you come to the US and visit the east coast pen shows. Likewise, once serious travel resumes, I hope to visit Pakistan and snoop around the markets for old fountain pens. Have seen quite a few 51s in Delhi & Lucknow.  Time for me to move northwest, cross the border, and hunt for pens with you, Khan.  Insh'allah. 

Stay healthy. 

Thank you. Will be there with you one day In Sha Allah. 

Also you are most welcome in Pakistan. Any time. 

Stay safe and healthy. 

Khan M. Ilyas

11 hours ago, CS388 said:

Even with such a small number, there's usually an inked 51 in the rotation.

So, that's only 997+ less than Mitto.

That is guite an impressive number. ☺️

Khan M. Ilyas

I have exactly ONE. It's a black 51 Special (circa 1961/2) with a wonderfully wet 14K nib that writes a med-fine line. Love that pen!  Acquired several years ago from someone on PT and I've never felt a need for another. Now if I could transfer that logic to all of the other brands in my collection....!

52 minutes ago, Ueno808 said:

I have exactly ONE. It's a black 51 Special (circa 1961/2) with a wonderfully wet 14K nib that writes a med-fine line. Love that pen!  Acquired several years ago from someone on PT and I've never felt a need for another. Now if I could transfer that logic to all of the other brands in my collection....!

Black with gold nib Aero is pretty much the quintessential “51” :) 

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

So, how many 51s do I have?  In order of aquisition:

1. A 1949 Aerometric in Forrest Green with a 1/10 14k cap (near perfect)
  2. A 1948 Vacumatic in Cedar Blue with the standard lustraloy cap (some hood shrinkage)
  3. An early Vacumatic (the imprint has been polished away) in black with the lustraloy cap and gold filled clip with blue diamond (Very nice looking...I get more complements on this pen that any other)
  4. A 1947 Vacumatic Demi in black with a 1/10 14k cap (needs vac servicing)
  5. An un-inked 1956ish black pen liquid lead set with lustraloy caps
  6. A 1951 Aerometric in Cocoa with a 1/10 12k gold filled cap (this pen was quite rough when I got it.  It looks considerably better now but has a small ding in the cap).

I still intend to post photos of the un-inked set and this most recent in Cocoa.  All have fine nibs (what else?).  I truly enjoy my vintage Parker "51s."

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

Speaking of the P51, does this look like a crack in my feeder? The pen performs fine. 

59EE24DD-004A-4AB9-8C82-8EFC816621AE.jpeg

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

Wow.. uhm that doesn’t look good. I’ve never seen that or heard of it. Maybe @Ron Z has.

15 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

Speaking of the P51, does this look like a crack in my feeder? The pen performs fine. 

59EE24DD-004A-4AB9-8C82-8EFC816621AE.jpeg

1 hour ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

Wow.. uhm that doesn’t look good. I’ve never seen that or heard of it. Maybe @Ron Z has.

I believe most of the dark line you’re seeing is 8nk, so it may be a crack or maybe a hole. It might even be leaking from the side. Not sure. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

5 minutes ago, TgeekB said:
1 hour ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

I believe most of the dark line you’re seeing is 8nk, so it may be a crack or maybe a hole. It might even be leaking from the side. Not sure. 

Ah. I see now that yeah. It looks like ink if i zoom in :) if you wipe it with a kleenex, does it go away? 

4 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

Ah. I see now that yeah. It looks like ink if i zoom in :) if you wipe it with a kleenex, does it go away? 

It does but it comes back. Is that common on these pens? 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

17 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

It does but it comes back. Is that common on these pens? 

To be honest, I’ve never noticed.  And i mean that in the sense that I’ve just never LOOKED. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Does the pen write correctly? Does it always come back in the same place, in the same way? What about different inks?…

I think you’d need to wipe it and then inspect it with a loupe, or disassemble, clean and inspect with a loupe.

No it isn’t common. It does look like a crack to me, especially if the ink keeps coming back to the same spot. I’d expect it to cause a problem sooner or later.

I looked with it under a 10x loupe and didn’t see a crack but it looks very porous. Lots of “holes”. 

It writes very well so I’m not too worried about it. I’ll keep an eye on it. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

Just noticed this thread today. I have been able to find two nice (restored) 1942 51's. They are well used and appreciated. 

I am curious how many use their "51" s? 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

On 6/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, CS388 said:

Also three.  Also two aeros and a vac.  But I've had many more in the past.  Cordovan vac, Cocoa aero and an Insignia (I think that's what it is, anyway).  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......