How many Parker 51’s do you have?

TgeekB

3 hours ago, mitto said:

Today's arrival. 

IMG_20211010_102337_869.jpg

Mitto: congratulations. You have very good contactas that provide you with such wonderful pens.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carguy

• VacNut

• TgeekB

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TgeekB said:

Well, I didn’t want another 51 so I bought a 45! 

A photo or it didn’t happen!

ive really learned to appreciate the 45.

2 hours ago, Carguy said:

It should be here this week. I’ll post when it arrives. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

• 4 ... so far ...
  • Stainless Steel Flighter 45 with one piece barrel, fine. Using a converter. 
  • Teal 45 in medium using a squeeze ink sac. 
  • Vector in Medium 
  • Vector Roller Ball in medium. 

• Would a Parker 3 piecer double edge razor get counted? (Love vintage razors as well as pens but the Parker 91 is a new one) 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:01 PM, Carguy said:

So my 45 arrived today. First impressions: it’s a piece of junk. Build compared to the 51 is atrocious. It looks like it would break if you look at it wrong. It came with a converter (not original and, again, cheaply made) and a cartridge. I installed the cartridge and it will not write. Took it out, placed it again and nothing. 
I own a Pilot Metropolitan that blows this out of the water. Well made and works extremely well. I’ll stick with that.

Oh well, live and learn. 

The 51 is king!

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

23 hours ago, Glenn-SC said:

How do any of those pen qualify as model “51”s?

Sorry, tired from a long trip and read it as How many Parkers and missed the 51. Would love a 51 but the one I was bidding on turned out to be a 21. And I hear the new 51s are nothing but Jotters. 

On 10/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, TgeekB said:

So my 45 arrived today. First impressions: it’s a piece of junk. Build compared to the 51 is atrocious. It looks like it would break if you look at it wrong. It came with a converter (not original and, again, cheaply made) and a cartridge. I installed the cartridge and it will not write. Took it out, placed it again and nothing. 
I own a Pilot Metropolitan that blows this out of the water. Well made and works extremely well. I’ll stick with that.

Oh well, live and learn. 

The 51 is king!

It sounds as if you got a clog somewhere.  The advantage to 45s, though, is that the nib assembly unscrews and can be completely disassembled for thorough cleaning (although you will want to do it over a hard surface -- and possibly a tub of some sort -- because the nibs are TINY).  

When I got my first 45, someone pointed me to this video by Tyler Dahl on disassembling them, and it's a great watch (I found it amazingly helpful): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUNqdM4GPvA&feature=emb_logo

As for the converter, it sounds as if you've got one of the cheapie slide converters (and yeah, they're kinda junk).  At least -- even if you can't get one of the vintage converters -- the Parker twist converters will fit.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

22 hours ago, Lee Dawson said:

Sorry, tired from a long trip and read it as How many Parkers and missed the 51. Would love a 51 but the one I was bidding on turned out to be a 21. And I hear the new 51s are nothing but Jotters. 

No worries. There are so many different models a types, a little confusion is to be expected. Thank you for the post. 
I am surprised there isn’t a post about how many Parker pens are in your collection.

If there was such a post (or thread) my husband would be looking at me going "This is NOT a competition!" (I have more Parkers than any other brand, and just bought another one a couple of weeks ago at the Chicago Show -- a blue Slimfold which supposedly has a flex nib (although I'm going have someone do some work on the nib before I try using the pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 9/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, FarmBoy said:

Lets see what the VacNut has to say...

On 9/30/2021 at 3:11 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

Please tell me more -- is that the Heirloom fish scales or scallop design? I love it. That would mark it as 1942 or later.

Also, I see the pen clip has an empty diamond on it. Does that make it a transitional clip, 1947 to 1948? 

Sorry for the late response. I had to pull the pen from storage.

I would say the pen cap is a heirloom fish scale cap. 14K gold. I call it an heirloom as I read that Parker US may have listed all their 14K caps as heirloom  caps, as opposed to caps made in other countries. (Any additional information would be welcome).1389E65F-950D-4C72-9866-A52FA46F6FEC.thumb.jpeg.66e53b6d1c1e72be2caf590bf19d20b1.jpeg

B5C9127E-518E-4DE9-848D-804CA003FC6A.thumb.jpeg.2258e37291c84b4fa1a62391c001bfb5.jpeg

The barrel has a “6” date code, so definitely made after the end of the diamond clips in ‘42.

A883674B-11BB-4E21-B6BA-6F2179B86742.thumb.jpeg.a3782f3214e5e31d5d816fca95053ff2.jpeg

1DFFD8D2-677A-439E-92A9-0F9A507E65F2.thumb.jpeg.d971c83e8bac28fa1b68094ffd62c199.jpeg

The clutch is a bit tight and has left a slight imprint on the barrel that can be cleaned off.

Plastic filler unit to match the ‘46 code.

A5E6BB68-FDDB-4539-B08F-10A29B1566BD.thumb.jpeg.8cabb69424873c0737ff4073fa4b5484.jpeg

Not as intricate as the fish scale cap, a 14K gold cap DJ Black 51 with a ‘6 date code.

492510C1-3C59-4932-ACBA-6FB7E3CC00A0.thumb.jpeg.35dbe7f6b8bc15ee918bb6a904fc28ff.jpeg

FABB82BC-548F-4AA2-9D17-A0E2A86AC592.thumb.jpeg.71296958e2cbce41d579d94b4a74bcae.jpeg

Unlike the other pen, this pen has been used, as the imprints are not as sharp and there are minor scratches on the barrel.

The blue Diamond Clips may be a replacement to dress up the pen. The clip on the pencil looks correct.

C910D286-3D26-4E11-9393-CD8142E59C14.thumb.jpeg.d3adba87c88b423dd3686c2c73083459.jpeg

Typical Plastic Filler Unit.

488A5964-DCAE-47F7-BFA4-0211A375396F.thumb.jpeg.04877228837838151263170f2c4b098a.jpeg

I noticed this pen has a two-tone clutch ring, but the fish scale pen had a silver tone ring. I am not clear which is the correct ring.

I have to admit, my admiration for the 51 grows the more I handle and exam the pens.

They definitely have a different feel in the hand, than a Vac Max or OS.

I think I found a happy medium between the two types.

BDF2F28E-C4EC-4607-82B5-B522E1008E75.thumb.jpeg.b262647b7affebd777823dad10d0c05a.jpeg

38FC93CF-1A49-4C77-BCBF-637226E7968D.jpeg

The clips are correct on both sets. 

The be clutch rings should have the gold wash in the center. It rubs off easily. 

I have forgotten the question. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I am a newbie fountain user and I have 1 Parker 51 Aero in teal blue and Lustraloy. It is my 3rd fountain pen and it remains my favorite. It is my EDC pen.

(I am looking for a matching pencil. Any thread recommendations for information?)

JParker51

1 hour ago, JParker51 said:

I am a newbie fountain user and I have 1 Parker 51 Aero in teal blue and Lustraloy. It is my 3rd fountain pen and it remains my favorite. It is my EDC pen.

(I am looking for a matching pencil. Any thread recommendations for information?)

JParker51

Post a picture of your pen please.I may have a matching pencil that I am willing to part with.

2 hours ago, Carguy said:

Very nice. Unfortunately, I just looked at my pencil from storage and it is engraved, so not much use to you.

That is an interesting topic of discussion. Does a pen with a previous owners engraving/name/initials lower the value of the pen or lessen its appeal? A personalized engraving was an added cost to the pen, that required the buyer to order and wait for the engraving. Doesn’t the extra effort add to the value of the pen? All these vintage pens had previous owners, so there is rarely a “new” pen, even if it is NOS.

I personally don’t mind the engraving as it speaks to the pen’s history.

The engraved signatures that were etched onto celluloid Vacumatics are actually quite intricate, although I am told they rarely matched the buyer’s actual signature.

5 minutes ago, VacNut said:

That is an interesting topic of discussion. Does a pen with a previous owners engraving/name/initials lower the value of the pen or lessen its appeal? A personalized engraving was an added cost to the pen, that required the buyer to order and wait for the engraving. Doesn’t the extra effort add to the value of the pen? All these vintage pens had previous owners, so there is rarely a “new” pen, even if it is NOS.

The engraved signatures that were etched onto celluloid Vacumatics are actually quite intricate, although I am told they rarely matched the buyer’s actual signature.

I suspect it is a matter of perspective.  Speaking solely about vintage pens, one person may place a higher value on NOS complete with unopened packaging while another (me for instance) places a higher value a older pen complete with the battle scars of a decade or more of use and an engraved name of initials -- not for sentimental reasons, but for its (known and unknown) provenance.

14 minutes ago, VacNut said:

I have always told myself that I didn’t like vintage pens with engraving, but I do respect the history involved. While I have never engraved any of my own pens, I am coming not to mind a subdued well placed engraving on my vintage pens….definitely a matter of perspective I suppose.