How many Parker 51’s do you have?

TgeekB

Simple question. I only have 2 (right now). I’d like get a couple more colors, especially green. 

Do you have any interesting or custom ones? Would love to see them!

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carguy

• VacNut

• TgeekB

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently have 4. One stub, one plum and one rage red; so most of mine are special or custom. 

1000+ is crazy! I think I'll stop at 10 or so. 

3 hours ago, mitto said:

I have 1000+ P51s. 

👍and P51 deserves that!

I have only ten (2 vacumatics MK1, 6 aerometrics MK2 (one Special), one MK3, and 2002SE.

And it seems to be enough) I`m absolutely not impressed with 2020 reissue...

Regards, Alexey

I have about 45. Unfortunately, most of them are run of the mill colors that I bought for the nib or because they were cheap. I keep 5 or so inked constantly.

I’ll probably be listing a few user grade ones here shortly to thin out the herd.

1 hour ago, Glenn-SC said:

I count 96.
May be a few more hiding somewhere.

Well gee Glenn, if you need someone to take a Nassau Green off your hands for anything less than $500, by all means let me know 😁

15 minutes ago, Carguy said:

Well gee Glenn, if you need someone to take a Nassau Green off your hands for anything less than $500, by all means let me know 😁

I only have two. 

Just 5 right now.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Just two at the moment, a Vac and a Special. At times I have had into the double digits, but I tend to sell them off when the collection gets big. I have learned over time that I like my pens to be used, not sitting in the closet or in a case in a drawer. So I sell some off to finance buying something new-to-me. 

The only one I regret selling was a gorgeous forest green Aero. But oh well, you live and learn.

A few Aeromatics in the flock, they aren't the best fit for a large hand. Bold is my favourite nib for a 51.

Alas, just one.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

10 hours ago, mitto said:

I have 1000+ P51s. 

Im not sure if you’re being serious or not! A picture would be amazing though. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

2 hours ago, TgeekB said:

Im not sure if you’re being serious or not! A picture would be amazing though. 

Oh he’s definitely being serious…..I’ve only heard rumors though as I don’t know Mitto, but I do believe this to be true.

Current stash is I think a dozen (not counting a Demi my husband picked up last year at an antiques fair which is either Teal or Midnight Blue -- I don't know which because he's squirreled it away along with the two other pens he bought; and not counting a 51 Special).  Although I've got to double check and see if I've included a black 51 Vac with a 1/8 14K nib (in a box!) that I picked up at an estate sale recently, but which has the hood twisted so it doesn't line up with the nib and feed right. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA:  I have duplicates of a couple of colors of the Vacs (Cedar Blue and Black -- the difference being that one of each has the rolled gold caps).  Other than maybe someday getting a full-size Plum to go along with the Demi, and a maybe a Yellowstone/Mustard 51 Vac, I've got all the colors I want.  No really exotic nibs except for the Navy Gray Aero, which has an OB nib.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Current stash is I think a dozen (not counting a Demi my husband picked up last year at an antiques fair which is either Teal or Midnight Blue -- I don't know which because he's squirreled it away along with the two other pens he bought; and not counting a 51 Special).  Although I've got to double check and see if I've included a black 51 Vac with a 1/8 14K nib (in a box!) that I picked up at an estate sale recently, but which has the hood twisted so it doesn't line up with the nib and feed right. 

Speaking of the Demi, how much smaller is it than a normal 51?

Also, is the special a cheaper version?

Thanks.

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

12 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

Speaking of the Demi, how much smaller is it than a normal 51?

Also, is the special a cheaper version?

Thanks.

The Demi is roughly an inch and a half shorter but I would have to measure it for the price amount.  Diameter-wise I think about the same as the full size Aerometrics I have.  Not actually sure how either compare lengthwise to 51 Vacs.  But I'm just sitting down to dinner so I can't check at the moment.

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think it’s about an inch shorter. The 51 Special is “cheaper” in that the nib is Octanium instead of gold and the hoop filler instead of the full metal jacket. They tend to write just as well, but I personally prefer the gold 51 nibs. Often, however, you can find a later 51 special with a hoop filler and a gold nib - I think they called that a “Standard” in the early 1960’s.

As much as I prefer a gold 51 nib, I absolutely love the Octanium nib on the 21 because it tends to write so well.