What Japanese pens do you own in 2021 & onward?

PolishSoldier

On 5/31/2021 at 6:44 PM, torstar said:

might come a time when you wonder why you thought 10 wasn't sufficient or too many, just saying...  :D

That phase starts when you become suddenly convinced you have lost a good pen and your reaction is no longer panic, but a shrug... maybe it will show up again... whatever....

I lost WM Exception some time ago & felt bad about it 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• Linger

• A Smug Dill

• PolishSoldier

2 hours ago, Frank C said:

I really like Japanese pens. "I (also) have more than I care to list individually but a lot fewer than WhichWatch!" And I have, "An embarrassing number." But I'm less embarrassed than I was before I read this. My daily users are Pilot 74s and Custom 823s filled with Pilot Blue Black ink. These work well together and write well on inexpensive copy paper—the source of all forms at the hospital. I have also had very good service from Pilot USA in Jacksonville, Florida. Work pens inevitably get dropped and damaged. Pilot USA has provided great service for pen repair—and for much less money than a well-known German brand named after a French mountain. Although the latter's service is faster and more convenient; I just go to my local boutique and the pen comes back in a couple of weeks. I was very interested in Pilot pocket pens when they were available a few years ago. I did notice that some of my pediatric patients grew concerned when I uncapped my M90; most had never encountered a fountain pen before, but they did understand that syringes with long stainless steel tips cause pain. Pilot Vanishing Points are also fun to use. As someone who tries to use the same brand of ink with a given brand of pen, the Iroshizuku inks are great. 

I only have a "few" Nakaya; I could "use" a few more. They are well-made and beautiful pens. Some of the designs are unique to Nakaya. The urushi finish is almost indestructible. I have dropped them on concrete without causing any visible damage. The nibs are fantastic. 

I really like Sailor 1911s with all their various nibs. Lots of variety, lots of fun. I also like the King of Pen. They are big, authoritative pens, and the nibs are great. I was very happy when Sailor started making the Realos. While cartridge-converter pens are very practical, piston fillers are my idea of a real fountain pen. I also like demonstrators or pens with ink windows; when I pick up a pen in the morning, I can tell if I have enough ink for the day or if I need to grab a refill or a second or third pen. Sailor also makes inks in almost any color imaginable. And if you can imagine one in a color they don't make, you can attend an ink clinic and they will make you a custom blend. You do have to travel to Japan for that service. 

I also like Platinum pens and Platinum ink. Their iron gall formulations are innovative and unique. Platinum Preppies are my go-to inexpensive pens. I give them to people who show some interest in learning more about fountain pens. I also like Platinum Izumos. They are very similar to Nakaya. 

I would like to get a Hakase someday. They are beautiful bespoke pens.

To make a long story short, I own quite a few Japanese pens and I use one almost every day. There is a Japanese pen for every budget and almost any writing project. 

S. King of Pens is on my "must have" list 

I have a lot of Platinum 3776s because I love the pen - not, however, recent limited editions which have just been too expensive for me, particularly compared to some very attractive new Pelikans. I think I'm over a dozen now with the Laurel Green and long sought-after sakura celluloid joining my collection recently.

I have a tricolore of Pilot Custom Heritage 92s which I love as the smoothest piston in the world ever.

I have some cheapie school Pilots.

And I have one of the Sailor tagayasan pens that I thought I would love, but.... nope. It's rather turned me off Sailor, to be honest.

I would dearly love a Nakaya dorsal fin... but I already have two houses that I'm restoring. Maybe when I get the first one finished I'll buy a Nakaya to celebrate!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Never really did a check on this but am now surprised:

Pilot

- Capless x2

- Custom 74, 92, 912, 823

- Prera x2

- MR

Platinum

- 3776 x4

- Procyon x2

Sailor

- 1911L x2

- 1911S x2

- Pro Gear Slim

- Pro Gear Regular

On 6/4/2021 at 6:15 AM, amk said:

And I have one of the Sailor tagayasan pens that I thought I would love, but.... nope. It's rather turned me off Sailor, to be honest.

Is that from the ‘Precious Wood of the World’ series? That's the one gold-nibbed Sailor I dislike (although mine — or, rather, now my wife's — is the karin/quince model in that series).

We have too many Japanese fountain pens to list here, probably over a hundred Sailor, Platinum and Pilot pens here (combined), but not all of them are fitted with gold nibs.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Mine are as follows: 

• Sailor Pro Gear (H-F)
  • Sailor Pro Gear II Realo (H-F)
  • Platinum 3776 (SF)
  • Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (M)
  • Pilot Custom 74 (MS)
  • Pilot 743 (F)
  • Pilot 823 (FA, custom ebonite feed)
  • Two vintage Pilots with shiro nibs awaiting restoration

Someday, I’d love to have a Nakaya, and I’d like to restore some vintage Japanese eyedropper pens. Beyond that, maybe a Platinum 3776 gathered? As it stands, though, I already have more than I need, and the 823, 3776, and 92 account for 90% of my writing (and at least half of that is the 823). 

On 6/6/2021 at 10:44 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Is that from the ‘Precious Wood of the World’ series? That's the one gold-nibbed Sailor I dislike (although mine — or, rather, now my wife's — is the karin/quince model in that series).

We have too many Japanese fountain pens to list here, probably over a hundred Sailor, Platinum and Pilot pens here (combined), but not all of them are fitted with gold nibs.

Yes, I think it is. It feels really too light in the hand and the nib doesn't do anything for me.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I think I have too many but not even close to as many as many here. 

Japanese pens are my favorites and Pilots my creme de la creme:

Pilot Falcon Metal fine

2 Pilot Custom Kaede fine and medium

2 Pilot Vanishing Points: matte black fine,  and cherry wood medium

Pilot Lucina fine

Pilot Ecrino medium 

2 Pilot Plumix EF (great sketch pens)

Pilot E95 fine

Pilot Desk Pen fine (another great sketcher)

Pilots I sold which seemed like a good idea at the time and which I now regret:

Falcon resin medium

Falcon resin broad

912 stub 

Custom 74 with a Mike Masuyama stub grind(!)

Pliots I still plan to acquire:

Custom 743 FA

Pilot Custom 845

Yukari  Royale 

Other Japanese Pens I own:

Sailor 1911 Realo 

Sailor fude de mannen (the green one)

Platinum Desk Pen

Platinum Plasir 

3 Platinum Preppys .02, .03, & .05

I sold a 3776 music nib and regret that too

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

On 6/8/2021 at 4:34 AM, dms525 said:

Arrived last week ...

36811221_PilotVPwritingsample.jpg.e4990da39f4691995c4c5dc7799d9bee.jpg1109260222_PilotVPBlack.jpg.0c5a5d6e11dc104ad61b194ee38213f1.jpg

David

Definitely I see this pen as part of my collection one day :)  

• 2 weeks later...

My Japanese pens:

Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillion M nib

Namiki Emperor Black M nib

Eboya Hakobune Wakaba L with a B nib

Stylo Art Shirane Ash fukiurushi with posting nib

Nakaya Naka-ai writer Shobu with soft medium nib

Nakaya Piccolo Long writer kuro-roiro string wrapped and spider roll stop - BB stub nib

Nakaya Decapod Aka Tamenuri with music nib

and on order: Hakase Jade Green 15C with MF nib 

On 5/30/2021 at 9:02 PM, PolishSoldier said:

There was a time when I was thinking "C'mon 10 pens will be enough, who really need more":)

In those early naïve days when one doesn’t even know how much one doesn’t know... 😛

Sailor

Pro Gear Slim - Blue Dwarf, and Vega

Pro Gear - Imperial Black

1911S - Loch Ness Monster, Anchor Gray

Platinum

3776 - Laurel Green/Gold, and Bourgogne/Gold

I only own one Japanese pen, a 17mm Nakaya Portable Cigar. I don't need, or want, any other.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Japanese pens are my favourites. I don’t collect pens and I sell whatever I do not use. All of my Japanese pens are in use and all are different.

Pilot

-Custom 74 F with iroshizuku shin-kai

-Justus 95 F with Kaweco Midnight Blue

-Justus 95 M which was modified into an not-of-this-Earth mini-stub, with Herbin Vert Atlantide

-Falcon SEF, haven’t decided on ink yet

-Metropolitan M, used for ink testing and such

Platinum

-various 0.2, 0.3 and 0.5 Preppies, usually with Platinum Blue Black

Sailor

-Pro Gear Slim F (most exquisite nib ever) with Sailor kiwaguro

-Pro Gear Slim MF with Sailor Souboku

-1911 Standard M with Sailor ‘Jentle’ Blue

All are in use. Don’t need more.

I have mainstream, and less mainstream pens.

• Too many Pilots to count (Elite, Elite 95s, Capless, Custom black stripe, white stripe, enjyu, grandee, Kaede, Custom 67, 72, 74, 742, 743, 823, Custom Heritage 91, 912, Custom LE, Legance, Elabo, Falcon, Justus 95, Myu, Legno 89s, Stella 90s, M90, VPs, Volexes, Silvern, Custom Urushi, and a bunch more vintage ones that I don't know the names/models of)
  • Namiki Yukari firefly, and Yukari royale
  • Platinum arabesque and little shooting stars
  • Sailor long/short pocket pens, vintage something or others, 1911/Profit, Imperial black, Pearl red Saibi togi, KOPs, Profit 75th anniversary, Red mosaic
  • Several Ban Ei eyedropper pens
  • Several Kato works pens (including a Morrison by Kato)
  • Several Ohashido pens
  • Yotubishi
  • Unknown oversized ebonite eyedropper
  • Tombow Havana zoom 505 fp

Pilot 78G (Fine)

Pilot VP (Extra Fine)

Platinum Curidas (Fine)

All loaded with Sailor's Ultra Black

(Sometimes use 4001 royal blue, tho :)