What Japanese pens do you own in 2021 & onward?

PolishSoldier

I have

Sailor 1911 L

Sailor Compass aka Profit Junior

Platinum 3776 Century

Platinum President

Pilot 74

Pilot 78g

Muji pen

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• Linger

• A Smug Dill

• PolishSoldier

Strictly speaking I own a measly two but am intending to sell the Pilot Capless (VP).  There's nothing wrong with it and it's a delight to use.  I decided that 15 pens was going to be my absolute maximum, however, so that one and a few others are currently being/have been sold.

The one I'm keeping is a Platinum Izumo because I love everything about the experience of writing with it.  I've never had any desire to own a Sailor for some reason and no, I can't explain that either!

34 minutes ago, christam said:

Strictly speaking I own a measly two but am intending to sell the Pilot Capless (VP).  There's nothing wrong with it and it's a delight to use.  I decided that 15 pens was going to be my absolute maximum, however, so that one and a few others are currently being/have been sold.

The one I'm keeping is a Platinum Izumo because I love everything about the experience of writing with it.  I've never had any desire to own a Sailor for some reason and no, I can't explain that either!

There was a time when I was thinking "C'mon 10 pens will be enough, who really need more":)

Acquiring older Platinum 3776s. Many varieties of makie, celluloid, and SE/LEs. Most can be had in new/almost new condition for incredibly reasonable prices...for now. Good writing pens.

Ditto the Izumos. Have three and use one daily.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Too many Japanese pens to list individually, but brands are:

Nakaya (more than 100)

Platinum

Pilot

Namiki

Sailor

Eboya 

Stylo Art

Tohma

Hakase

I don't have an Izumo, but I live in what was Izumo-kuni.  :)

I have various cheap Pilot pens from the 60s and 70s and a couple Sailor pocket-pens.  Oh, and a NOS Pilot Myu.

Good morning, 

Japanese nibs and the overall design of so many fountain pens from that country are the most interesting currently on the market. . . IMO.  I own a number of King of Pen in plastic, ebonite, acrylic, & urushi with maki-e, 1911L, 1911S, Pro Gear Standard Demo, Le Coule, two Sailor Hi-Ace, several Pilot VPs, Custom 74, lots of Pilot Varsity, older ebonite eyedroppers from 1930s-40s including Pilot & Nakaya. Don't have any Platinums at the moment, but have liked the ones I had before. Would like to find a couple of Bani-e eyedroppers in 30 or 40 size. Had a several, including two #50 size,  but sold or traded all of those.  My wife uses and enjoys two Sailor Chalanas. 

Stay healthy. Get both jabs. 

21 hours ago, PolishSoldier said:

There was a time when I was thinking "C'mon 10 pens will be enough, who really need more":)

might come a time when you wonder why you thought 10 wasn't sufficient or too many, just saying...  :D

That phase starts when you become suddenly convinced you have lost a good pen and your reaction is no longer panic, but a shrug... maybe it will show up again... whatever....

17 hours ago, whichwatch said:

Too many Japanese pens to list individually, but brands are:

Nakaya (more than 100)

Platinum

Pilot

Namiki

Sailor

Eboya 

Stylo Art

Tohma

Hakase

How do you like the Tohma?  Also, could you please take a photo of it next to an Emperor?  I'm debating pick up their current Hightaka but have zero sense of size for it.

Personally, I've got:

Nakaya Dorsal Fin 1

Namiki Emperor Urushi & Emperor Fujiyama

Sailor KoP Pro Gear & KoP Ebonite Nagahara Cross Point

Danitrio Genkai Kama-nuri & several more on the way

I also have a soft spot for the Pelikan raden pens - they're heavily Japanese influenced/finished.  Have several of those and on the never-ending hunt for an M1000 Moonlight.

One Platinum (a Plaisir I got early on, but don't like for a number of reasons).

A number of Pilots -- a couple of Metropolitans (different colors and nibs), a couple of (dead but potentially refillable) Varsities, a couple of Decimos (different colors and nibs), a Falcon in one of last year's "new" colors (purple), and a older model Saturn (I think) which might be a Korean production model exclusive to the Korean market, which I found in an antiques store a couple of years ago.  Oh, and a older model Vanishing Point I got for about a third the price of a new one which I gave to my husband (which he likes but doesn't use :angry:).  Well, and another Decimo I lost, which I bought to swap the nib assembly with the VP on because he didn't like the F nib on the VP.

Three Sailors -- two 1911S pens (both of which are North American Exclusives: the Loch Ness Monster and Wicked Witch of the West), and a Pro-Gear Slim.  I keep looking at the Pro-Gear Slim Blue Dwarf, but my budget hasn't extended quite that far; and the only reason I have the Purple Cosmos is because I found a deal when the new LE color came out the next year and started looking, initially for a used one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Pilot Custom Sterling Silver

Pilot Custom Black Stripe

Pilot Custom White Stripe

Pilot Elite (1970s)

Pilot Myu

Platinum Izumo

I have more than I care to list individually but a lot fewer than WhichWatch!

Nakayas (9 is enough. Formerly, 8 was enough. 🤣)

Pilot (Various models)

Platinum Music and Izumo 

Sailors (Various models)

Eboya

The Nakayas are my favorites, but the Sailors are the best writers, IMO.

David

Just 2...

Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2

Nakaya Portable Cigar Ascending Dragon

2 Pilot

2 Hakase (+1 on order)

3 Sailor

4 Nakaya (+1 on order)

5 Namiki

(+1 Manu Propria on order - this is a Japanese pen (urushi over ebonite) but made in CH)

Own... a couple of Namiki Emperors, a Chinkin, a Platinum Izumo, a Nakaya Bamboo Woods in 17mm which hasn't arrived yet, a Danitrio Hyotan Biwa Player on camel. Thats what is mine. What I spend my time borrowing and making video reviews of is 29 Namiki Emperors, 16 Yukari Royales, 30 Yukari and a Dunhill Namiki as well for good measure. So there is a very very big gap between what I get to see and what is mine, I suppose a bit like being a ferrari seller.

Thinking of getting a 743 fm to swap into my 823b (and the b into the 743). The large ink capacity of the 823 means I can leave it uncapped while I work, fm is more of a user nib. Then i can change colors more frequently with the fun B nib. Hmm...

Pilot Penmanship EF, Plumix M, Metropolitan M, 91 SFM.

Sailor 1911S H-F, Professional Gear large H-M.

Not sure Muji aluminium pens count, I have four of them.

I would have liked another special edition Sailor (Peacock, Lucky Charm...) but I've reached the maximum number of pen / ink combinations and can't justify their prices. A Pilot 912 WA also sounded really interesting.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

An embarrassing number. Essentially, I only collect urushi and maki-e pens anymore. Brands I will focus on are Namiki, Taccia, and Stylo Art.

I really like Japanese pens. "I (also) have more than I care to list individually but a lot fewer than WhichWatch!" And I have, "An embarrassing number." But I'm less embarrassed than I was before I read this. My daily users are Pilot 74s and Custom 823s filled with Pilot Blue Black ink. These work well together and write well on inexpensive copy paper—the source of all forms at the hospital. I have also had very good service from Pilot USA in Jacksonville, Florida. Work pens inevitably get dropped and damaged. Pilot USA has provided great service for pen repair—and for much less money than a well-known German brand named after a French mountain. Although the latter's service is faster and more convenient; I just go to my local boutique and the pen comes back in a couple of weeks. I was very interested in Pilot pocket pens when they were available a few years ago. I did notice that some of my pediatric patients grew concerned when I uncapped my M90; most had never encountered a fountain pen before, but they did understand that syringes with long stainless steel tips cause pain. Pilot Vanishing Points are also fun to use. As someone who tries to use the same brand of ink with a given brand of pen, the Iroshizuku inks are great. 

I only have a "few" Nakaya; I could "use" a few more. They are well-made and beautiful pens. Some of the designs are unique to Nakaya. The urushi finish is almost indestructible. I have dropped them on concrete without causing any visible damage. The nibs are fantastic. 

I really like Sailor 1911s with all their various nibs. Lots of variety, lots of fun. I also like the King of Pen. They are big, authoritative pens, and the nibs are great. I was very happy when Sailor started making the Realos. While cartridge-converter pens are very practical, piston fillers are my idea of a real fountain pen. I also like demonstrators or pens with ink windows; when I pick up a pen in the morning, I can tell if I have enough ink for the day or if I need to grab a refill or a second or third pen. Sailor also makes inks in almost any color imaginable. And if you can imagine one in a color they don't make, you can attend an ink clinic and they will make you a custom blend. You do have to travel to Japan for that service. 

I also like Platinum pens and Platinum ink. Their iron gall formulations are innovative and unique. Platinum Preppies are my go-to inexpensive pens. I give them to people who show some interest in learning more about fountain pens. I also like Platinum Izumos. They are very similar to Nakaya. 

I would like to get a Hakase someday. They are beautiful bespoke pens.

To make a long story short, I own quite a few Japanese pens and I use one almost every day. There is a Japanese pen for every budget and almost any writing project. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.