PR Sherwood Green, then and now

ErrantSmudge

I once had several bottles of PR inks from the original era of ownership, 15-20 years ago.  I just recently bought some samples of the latest incarnation of PR inks under the new ownership (Yafa) to compare with the old.

Here's a comparison pic of the new PR Sherwood Green compared to the old.  The new PR Sherwood is a lighter shade of green, much closer to Monteverde Yosemite Green, a medium green.  Both Diamine Sherwood and especially Monteverde Green are closer matches to the old Parker Penman Emerald (which was the original reference for comparison).

Scan_20210529.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• PithyProlix

• amberleadavis

• yazeh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the comparison. I was never tempted with PR inks. I doubt I'll ever be. But thanks anyway :thumbup:

Thanks for the comparison. I wonder if the Diamine and the new PR are the same ink and the differences are due to the different pens used, especially since that Lamy tends to write dry?

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

I bought a bottle of PR Sherwood Green in 2016 or so, and I've quite liked it. It sheens beautifully and even after a year or two untouched in my desk drawer it hasn't developed any SITB, which I gather is a risk for that brand. Which era would 2016 PR Sherwood Green belong to, do you think? I can't really make a decision based on your pictures.

15 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thanks for the comparison. I wonder if the Diamine and the new PR are the same ink and the differences are due to the different pens used, especially since that Lamy tends to write dry?

Are you referring to Monteverde Yosemite and PR Sherwood being the same ink?  I've considered the possibility as well.  In real life, the two are very very close, enough that the difference between them may simply be due to batch variation.   They are close enough that I don't plan to buy a bottle of the PR,  as I have a full bottle of Yosemite Green.

And yes, the Safari I used to create the new PR sample is a rather dry writer.  Even so, the new PR Sherwood does seem a shade brighter than the old.

12 hours ago, Ergative said:

Which era would 2016 PR Sherwood Green belong to, do you think? I can't really make a decision based on your pictures.

I'm not sure - hopefully an ink expert will come in and solve this issue for us, but I think the answer is neither one. 

My first bottle of Sherwood was from the 2000-2003 timeframe when the company was under original ownership.  I think the founder passed away around 2013 or so.  The company continued on, and then a buyout happened about two or three years ago.  Then the new owner also passed away and it looked like PR was gone forever.  Then the brand was sold to Yafa a few months ago.  My new sample is definitely from Yafa ownership, as I purchased it from Goulet Pens, who picked up PR again following the Yafa acquisition.

7 hours ago, ErrantSmudge said:

Are you referring to Monteverde Yosemite and PR Sherwood being the same ink?  I've considered the possibility as well.  In real life, the two are very very close, enough that the difference between them may simply be due to batch variation.   They are close enough that I don't plan to buy a bottle of the PR,  as I have a full bottle of Yosemite Green.

And yes, the Safari I used to create the new PR sample is a rather dry writer.  Even so, the new PR Sherwood does seem a shade brighter than the old.

Actually I meant the Diamine and the new PR. I vaguely remember reading something fairly recent that said that PR is sourcing some of their inks from Diamine as well as other makers ... but, then again, I might be remembering incorrectly. Given the similarity of the colors, the difference which I thought might be accountable by the different pens you used, and that some companies don't even bother to change the names of the Diamine-made inks they sell under their own brand, I'm just making a guess... 

On 5/30/2021 at 8:28 PM, PithyProlix said:

Actually I meant the Diamine and the new PR. I vaguely remember reading something fairly recent that said that PR is sourcing some of their inks from Diamine as well as other makers ... but, then again, I might be remembering incorrectly.

OK, that clarifies things.  The reason why I'm suggesting the Monteverde/PR connection is that I'm pretty sure that Yafa is the new owner of the Private Reserve brand, starting from the end of 2020/beginning of 2021.  Yafa also owns Monteverde, and it would be really easy for them to just source all the inks from the same place and stick different brand labels on the bottles.

56 minutes ago, ErrantSmudge said:

OK, that clarifies things.  The reason why I'm suggesting the Monteverde/PR connection is that I'm pretty sure that Yafa is the new owner of the Private Reserve brand, starting from the end of 2020/beginning of 2021.  Yafa also owns Monteverde, and it would be really easy for them to just source all the inks from the same place and stick different brand labels on the bottles.

I just checked and, you are right, Private Reserve is a brand of Yafa now. 

https://yafabrands.com/brands/private-reserve-ink-usa/

Thanks for the comparison. Sherwood is one of my favorite greens, and I still have a bottle I bought in 2012. 

Back last fall when the future looked uncertain, I bought two bottles I found in stock from an Amazon seller. 

This can be a temperamental ink in my experience, or rather it can take a long time to dry even on good paper and will smudge if you breathe on it. Still, though, for me it’s worth using in the right circumstances.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a new bottle of PR Ebony purple and have the comparisons to upload later.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

16 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

I just bought a new bottle of PR Ebony purple and have the comparisons to upload later.

I picked up a sample of Ebony Purple as a new-to-me color.  Looking forward to seeing your comparisons.

1 hour ago, ErrantSmudge said:

I picked up a sample of Ebony Purple as a new-to-me color.  Looking forward to seeing your comparisons.

Got it done!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY