Kanwrite Legacy Review

PuliMorgan

5 hours ago, prameya said:

Here are some pics: 

Yes, dual tone nib goes well with this. 

How is it writing? I haven't tried their broad nib.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PuliMorgan

• hari317

• prameya

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Broad nib was disappointing. Had a lot of flow issues to begin with. It lessened over time, but still it skips strokes. Changed to the fine nib unit that came along, and this one has been smooth. But its too thin for my taste. And it also takes away the dual tone appeal of the stock nib and its rounded feed, which looked much better. Still haven't figured out how to change the feed. 

Edited by prameya

6 hours ago, prameya said:

The Broad nib was disappointing. Had a lot of flow issues to begin with. It lessened over time, but still it skips strokes. Changed to the fine nib unit that came along, and this one has been smooth. But its too thin for my taste. And it also takes away the dual tone appeal of the stock nib and its rounded feed, which looked much better. Still haven't figured out how to change the feed. 

That is so sad to hear because I absolutely love my fine nib. I guess the feed plus nib unit is screwed in and you can just unscrew it by gripping with a cotton cloth. I haven't done it, but Kanwrite had forwarded a video over whatsapp.

Have you tried talking to Kanwrite on the issues that you are facing?

Changing the nib unit is easy. But I want to change just the nib, not the feed. It perhaps just need to be pulled. But it is tight and I did not try very hard, lest I might disorient it or something.

3 minutes ago, prameya said:

Changing the nib unit is easy. But I want to change just the nib, not the feed. It perhaps just need to be pulled. But it is tight and I did not try very hard, lest I might disorient it or something.

True. I had nearly damaged the nib of my Kanwrite Desire while trying to take out the medium nib in order to fit an extra-fine one without having to change the ebonite feed (original Desire comes with a plastic feed, but I had got one custom made with ebonite feed for exclusively using Noodler's Baystate Blue ink). It wrote differently after my failed attempt. Anyway, that pen was stolen from my office desk thereby ending my worries. 

• 1 month later...

@PuliMorgan If you want to try a high quality Japanese EF nib, I suggest looking at Pilot penmanship (I think they call them Plumix now). I have one in EF, and it's much finer than anything I have written with (I have a Kanwrite EF nib as well). Also, the nib is super consistent, never skips, and has pleasant feedback. I believe Pilot uses the same EF nibs in Penmanship as they use in their mid range pens, like Prera. 

Here's a quick comparison.

PXL_20210807_031700554.thumb.jpg.f9e01bfb3262a25a82da8836d9b129f5.jpg

I am not sure where to buy them in India though. The one I have was purchased outside India.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:55 AM, snowflake said:

@PuliMorgan If you want to try a high quality Japanese EF nib, I suggest looking at Pilot penmanship (I think they call them Plumix now). I have one in EF, and it's much finer than anything I have written with (I have a Kanwrite EF nib as well). Also, the nib is super consistent, never skips, and has pleasant feedback. I believe Pilot uses the same EF nibs in Penmanship as they use in their mid range pens, like Prera. 

Here's a quick comparison.

PXL_20210807_031700554.thumb.jpg.f9e01bfb3262a25a82da8836d9b129f5.jpg

I am not sure where to buy them in India though. The one I have was purchased outside India.

I have already ordered a Metropolitan Fine nib to get a first hand feel of the famed Japanese nibs and the delivery is expected tomorrow (Platinum Preppy Fine nib turned out to be thicker than Kanwrite Fine). Any idea how do Metroplitan and Penmanship compare?

On 6/26/2021 at 11:56 PM, prameya said:

Update on Kanwrite Legacy nib change: I finally mustered the courage to unscrew my Fine nib unit with ebonite feed and fitted an extra fine nib unit with plastic feed. I used it for a day and didn't particularly enjoy it. So I went back to the original fine nib. To my shock, I found the nib not writing as fine or smooth as earlier. I inspected the nib to check if I had misaligned the tines while removing the nib. There was some tiny debris stuck between the tines (a cotton fibre perhaps - As recommended by Kanwrite, I had used a cotton cloth to hold the nib while unscrewing it). I removed it and the pen is now back to its full glory :)

On 8/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, PuliMorgan said:

Any idea how do Metroplitan and Penmanship compare?

I believe Pilot nibs should be consistent across pens (in terms of line width). I haven't used a Pilot F nib yet (tried Pilot M nib on Kakuno once and didn't like it), but I find Pilot EF nib (on penmanship) to be very good. Let us know how is your experience with Pilot F nib on the Metropolitan.

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 7:23 AM, snowflake said:

I believe Pilot nibs should be consistent across pens (in terms of line width). I haven't used a Pilot F nib yet (tried Pilot M nib on Kakuno once and didn't like it), but I find Pilot EF nib (on penmanship) to be very good. Let us know how is your experience with Pilot F nib on the Metropolitan.

Pilot Metropolitan F nib turned out to be great. I filled it with Noodler's Baystate Blue waterproof ink for signing documents at work. However, these days I see some ink leakage through the nib ever with a very mild shake. I suspect that the infamous BSS ink is eating away the feeder, but I am not sure. I am thinking about disassembling the feeder to take a closer look, but I am not confident enough to do it yet. Pen is still writing smoothly though.

On the original topic of Kanwrite Legacy: I have been using the Legacy heavily for past 5 months. It has survived a couple of falls from the table (with the cap on, of course) with no noticeable damage. I am also impressed by the fact that a fully filled Legacy had no ink leak during several flight journeys it had while a fully filled Sheaffer Gift 100 that I had carried along was bleeding like a baby having diarrhea.

I changed the nib to EF with a plastic feed briefly before switching back the original Fine nib with ebonite feed because the EF was a bit scratchy. It is still my workhorse pen even after I acquired a Lamy 2000. Both the pens are great writers and I love them both equally, perhaps I love the Legacy "more equally" because it is five times cheaper than the Lamy 😉

On 8/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, PuliMorgan said:

Platinum Preppy Fine nib turned out to be thicker than Kanwrite Fine

The Platinum Preppy uses Western F and M widths.

I obtained a Kanwrite Legacy in Red-Black Ripple ebonite with a 14 K gold Kanwrite medium nib.  It arrived quickly via FedEx from India.  The finish is of a high quality.

The nib was perfectly aligned, and the ebonite feed (my request) was perfectly heat set.  Flow is moderate to wet, but not excessive.  The nib is super smooth, with no feedback.  Mine writes a narrower medium, closer to a Japanese medium rather than say, a Pelikan medium.  The nib is not supposed to have any flex, but it is springy and has a semi-flex characteristic.  I assume that Kanwrite makes the 14K nibs for Fountain Pen Revolution.   I thought that I'd get a FPR nib with a different engraving.  This nib is a different shape and tine length.  The FPR nibs are narrower, and about 3 mm longer than the Kanwrite nib.  The Kanwrite nib is wider than the FPR nib.  The engraving on the Kanwrite nib is reminiscent of an Aurora nib.

Mine came with a converter which can unscrew to convert the pen to an eyedropper.   It is their own design. They also sent me steel flexible fine nib and stub nibs at no charge.

The only complaint that I had was that the clip was askew.  It doesn't run vertically down the pen cap, but runs off at an angle.  This is easily remedied by removing (unscrewing) the finial and bending the clip ring until the alignment is correct.  I emailed Kanwrite about this issue, and they responded quickly.  They make almost all the components in house,  and focus on the nib quality.  So far they have been obtaining clips from a third party supplier.  They are looking into making their own clips in the future, to maintain quality control.

In summary, this is a beautifully made pen that handles very well, and writes as good as my super expensive pens.

For the price of a loose Fountain Pen Revolution 14K #6 nib, I get a whole pen thrown into the bargain.  Which makes this a great bargain!

3 hours ago, MidSouthern-Dad said:

I obtained a Kanwrite Legacy in Red-Black Ripple ebonite with a 14 K gold Kanwrite medium nib.  It arrived quickly via FedEx from India.  The finish is of a high quality.

The nib was perfectly aligned, and the ebonite feed (my request) was perfectly heat set.  Flow is moderate to wet, but not excessive.  The nib is super smooth, with no feedback.  Mine writes a narrower medium, closer to a Japanese medium rather than say, a Pelikan medium.  The nib is not supposed to have any flex, but it is springy and has a semi-flex characteristic.  I assume that Kanwrite makes the 14K nibs for Fountain Pen Revolution.   I thought that I'd get a FPR nib with a different engraving.  This nib is a different shape and tine length.  The FPR nibs are narrower, and about 3 mm longer than the Kanwrite nib.  The Kanwrite nib is wider than the FPR nib.  The engraving on the Kanwrite nib is reminiscent of an Aurora nib.

Mine came with a converter which can unscrew to convert the pen to an eyedropper.   It is their own design. They also sent me steel flexible fine nib and stub nibs at no charge.

The only complaint that I had was that the clip was askew.  It doesn't run vertically down the pen cap, but runs off at an angle.  This is easily remedied by removing (unscrewing) the finial and bending the clip ring until the alignment is correct.  I emailed Kanwrite about this issue, and they responded quickly.  They make almost all the components in house,  and focus on the nib quality.  So far they have been obtaining clips from a third party supplier.  They are looking into making their own clips in the future, to maintain quality control.

In summary, this is a beautifully made pen that handles very well, and writes as good as my super expensive pens.

For the price of a loose Fountain Pen Revolution 14K #6 nib, I get a whole pen thrown into the bargain.  Which makes this a great bargain!

Glad to know that you also like Kanwrite Legacy.

I too had an issue with their clip as described here. It was easily remedied though. Details here: 

• 3 weeks later...

Great review and comments! I will probably get the Legacy in ebonite now!

Just to confirm, the stock feed with the Legacy is an ebonite feed, right? Is the section made of Acrylic then?

15 hours ago, Cursive Child said:

Great review and comments! I will probably get the Legacy in ebonite now!

Just to confirm, the stock feed with the Legacy is an ebonite feed, right? Is the section made of Acrylic then?

Feed is ebonite and the section is acrylic.

On 6/26/2021 at 3:51 AM, prameya said:

Consider a wetter ink, like a Diamine Ancient Copper, if you're using a drier or medium ink. May improve flow issues if not major, and might bold the fine.