Which Diamine ink compares to the Monteverde Sapphire

samasry

1 hour ago, chromantic said:

Great, thank you for the pointer  :) 

I was confused by the word "their site" and I have assumed that it refers to Monteverde's  site.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samasry

• sansenri

• mizgeorge

• chromantic

On 7/21/2021 at 1:11 AM, amberleadavis said:

I love both these inks. I enjoy them individually and together. I also add either to an ink that I don't otherwise enjoy.  

Great suggestion!

aha, that is a mix I want to try, I've added Sargasso Sea to Pelikan Royal blue, and Bilberry to Pelikan Royal blue, but I've not tried mixing one with the other, seems like a deep purplish blue is likely to turn out...

I for one am very interested to see  all  mixing ideas.

Best of luck and keep us posted  with some samples 

1 hour ago, samasry said:

I for one am very interested to see  all your mixing ideas @sansenri

Best of luck and keep us posted  with some samples 

has been a terribly busy week at work...

I have not gotten round to sampling my sargasso royal mix yet, will do, but with summer here (35°C in Milano today) the wifes wants to go out for the week end!

4 minutes ago, sansenri said:

has been a terribly busy week at work...

I have not gotten round to sampling my sargasso royal mix yet, will do, but with summer here (35°C in Milano today) the wifes wants to go out for the week end!

Of course, the priority is to go out and have some fun in the sun :)

I was merely encouraging,  not attempting to be pushy, that is not my style at all.  Have a great weekend.

so, I managed to make a quick writing test and take a few quick photos.

here is main result, I will also post them in the other thread (If I can remember which one it was...)

Diamine sapphire is in a Kaigelu 316 with a wide B steel nib

Royal Sargasso mix 4:1 is in a Delta Passion with a generous flowing M steel nib

Asa Gao is in a Delta the Journal with a generous flowing M steel nib

the paper is an old very glossy paper (unknown brand) which shows colour differences quite well

large.1293538431_royalsargasso.jpg.1a9a84b59190160693a5343958717274.jpg

consider that some nunaces of colour are always lost in photos

the difference in colour is less evident in my photo than in reality but it's reasonably close.

What you can see here is that Diamine Sapphire is clearly more purplish than the other two inks.

(I often hear people say that Asa Gao is an alternative to Diamine Sapphire and viceversa. It's not, the difference is evident, more so in the real test, Sapphire is definitively more purple.)

My Royal blue + Sargasso Sea mix is definitively closer, certainly in colour hue, although the mix tends to be darker, very very slightly less purple,  and Asa Gao more vibrant.

As already mentioned the behaviour of the two inks is different, my mix behaves as Pelikan Royal blue.

What it does do, is slightly sheen.

Left in a pen for longer time it also tends to get darker (probably concentrating due to slight evaporation)