Is the 146 the ugly stepchild of the 149?

TgeekB

3 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

So maybe the 149 is the overweight brother of the 146. 

Well, I think you just can't use words like "ugly" or "overweight" to describe 146 and 149. 😀

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TgeekB

• bunnspecial

• NoType

• kazoolaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I think the OP has been pulling your leg(s) for 5 pages, so far.

3 hours ago, FredRydr said:

Having fun? Yes. But truthful in wanting to understand the difference and why it seems the 149 is the favorite.

In truth, it doesn’t matter to me as I bought the one that fits my needs (and hands) the best. But, it’s been a long year or so and I hope we all take the back anD forth as good old fashioned fun. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

15 hours ago, FredRydr said:

I know! we were just naive... Probably anyone that started an opinion topic on MB is pulling our legs!!

15 hours ago, FredRydr said:

Does this mean I can't have minions?

1 minute ago, kazoolaw said:

Does this mean I can't have minions?

In our office, there is a Bob, a Kevin, and a Stuart. We have all the minions we need.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:47 AM, TheDutchGuy said:

Personally I’d like to use a €750 pen for a bit more than that.

I feel fortunate to own a vintage 146 with a marvellous 14C EF nib with the characteristic architect grind. A magnificent pen. I resisted the 149 Calligraphy because I cannot justify the price of admission when compared to some of my vintage flex pens. If and when the 146 Calligraphy comes out, that struggle of restraint will start all over again.

In my work I sign a lot of documents so pen is in constant use

One of the things that I've been thinking about this morning...

Some time in the 1990s, the 146 grew an almost imperceptible amount longer-maybe 1mm or so. I have a hard time seeing it unless they're next to each other. I've heard that the 147 needed to be made a tiny bit longer than the 147 to accept the two cartridges in the sled, and the 146 grew by the same amount to make the two pens truly "equivalent."

The 146 I fell in love with, and still my absolute favorite pen(period, no qualifiers) is a c. 1990 one with an M nib.

My first "new size" 146 was probably a late 90s/early 2000s one that was the longer size. It was also an M, and I sold it because it was redundant and I liked how my favorite wrote a whole lot better.

The past two weeks, give or take, I've been writing a lot with the 80 Days pen. It's also M, or at least until I get around to sending it for an OM or OB. I do also have a 147, albeit in BB.

I can't pinpoint why, but for whatever reason I've found these newer pens somewhat less comfortable than the older length pen. The length is similar enough that in my mind, it shouldn't matter, but I notice it.

I'm wondering if it's maybe something else about my favorite pen that makes me love it so much. It could be just that I'm use to flow and amount of pressure(not much) my older one needs, where my two newer M 146s seem to like a bit more pressure. Maybe it's something else.

Has anyone else noticed this?

34 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

One of the things that I've been thinking about this morning...

Some time in the 1990s, the 146 grew an almost imperceptible amount longer-maybe 1mm or so. I have a hard time seeing it unless they're next to each other. I've heard that the 147 needed to be made a tiny bit longer than the 147 to accept the two cartridges in the sled, and the 146 grew by the same amount to make the two pens truly "equivalent."

The 146 I fell in love with, and still my absolute favorite pen(period, no qualifiers) is a c. 1990 one with an M nib.

My first "new size" 146 was probably a late 90s/early 2000s one that was the longer size. It was also an M, and I sold it because it was redundant and I liked how my favorite wrote a whole lot better.

The past two weeks, give or take, I've been writing a lot with the 80 Days pen. It's also M, or at least until I get around to sending it for an OM or OB. I do also have a 147, albeit in BB.

I can't pinpoint why, but for whatever reason I've found these newer pens somewhat less comfortable than the older length pen. The length is similar enough that in my mind, it shouldn't matter, but I notice it.

I'm wondering if it's maybe something else about my favorite pen that makes me love it so much. It could be just that I'm use to flow and amount of pressure(not much) my older one needs, where my two newer M 146s seem to like a bit more pressure. Maybe it's something else.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Interesting information. I believe mine is from 1989 with M nib. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want it longer. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

• 3 months later...

To change the subject a bit. Here is a couple of screenshots from the movie Le plein soleil (1960, starring the man you see in the photos, no need to introduce). He is using a MB pen there. Presumably made in 50s. Is it 146 or 149?

P.S.: Delon does not have huge hands.

mKEIy2B.jpg

feGMLIO.jpg

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

2 hours ago, aurore said:

Le plein soleil

Thanks.  🤨 Now I have to watch Purple Noon, An American Friend, The Talented Mr Ripley, and Ripley's Game over a weekend.  I'll make notes with FatBoy 149.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I would say 146 because the pen is more slender than a 149. There are other shots of the pen when Ripley/Delon is practicing forging Dickie Greenleaf’s signature.  

I liked that the Talented Mr Ripley was more faithful to Patricia Highsmith’s book, but otherwise preferred this version for its cinematography and Delon.  (I think Highsmith herself was on the record as being OK with Plein Soleil.)

When trying to work out whether a pen is a 149 or 146, I always look at the distance between the top of the cap and clip ring, which is appreciably greater in the 149.  By so doing, and also considering the relative lack of girth seen here, I concur with meiers and gyasko that the pen in question is a 146.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:05 PM, TgeekB said:

So when I do a search for the 146 on these forums, or the internet in general, I get a random hit or two. When I search the 149, my server crashes. 
I recently bought a 146 from a member here, partly because of the price difference and partly because the size, I feel, is perfect. Not too big, not too small. It writes beautifully. It feels great in the hand. It’s solidly built. 
Am I just missing something or is it generally not regarded on par with the 149? If not, why?

The 146 and the 149 are both equally good. They have the same ink capacity. The 149 is larger. 

1 hour ago, NoType said:

meiers, I had not known that the 149 and 146 featured the same ink capacity.  Thank you for this useful piece of information.

That is true now, but it wasn’t always the case.  The capacities of the 1950s telescoping piston versions are different, with the 149 having a somewhat larger capacity.

gyasko, I also thank you for adding to my sparse knowledge about vintage Montblanc.  I can now say that I know at least one thing about the 1950’s Montblanc telescopic piston fountain pens: that their ink capacities differ from modern Montblanc piston fountain pens, such that amongst the vintage models, the 149’s ink capacity is larger than the rest.  The generosity of members in sharing information is just one of the many aspects of this forum that impel me to return more often to this site than to any other, period.