Is the 146 the ugly stepchild of the 149?

TgeekB

16 hours ago, TheDutchGuy said:

😂

Personally I really enjoyed @jmnav ’s post because it offers a concise overview of MB’s tiering system and some edgy humor. I doubt that jmnav set out to actually disqualify the 149 and even if he did, the success of the 149 speaks for itself. Going back to the tiers, while I am not knowledgeable about vintage MB at all, I find it interesting that there’s no such thing as a 249 or 349. 

I loved his post too because many of them were getting boring. It was extremely informative and quite honest that, obviously, the 146 is the better pen………😜

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TgeekB

• bunnspecial

• NoType

• kazoolaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Having both the 146 and the 149, I can assure the OP that the 146 is neither ugly or inferior to the 149. I actually prefer to write with the 146 personally.

Super moderators cannot be wrong.
Just sayin’. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

I have both a LeGrand (146) and a 149, both with fine nibs. The thing is, as much as I like using the 149, I consider it to be a "special" pen that's more for ceremonial purposes than daily use, partly because it's such an iconic writing instrument. The 149 has purple ink in it and is used mainly for signatures. (Yes, I know people like signing with broad nibs, but that's just not my taste.) The LeGrand is a more practical size to carry and doesn't have the same attention-grabbing girth the 149 has.

This isn't really an issue of comfort, because I can hold both the 146 and 149 just fine (I use a dynamic quadrupod grasp). But it's the 146 that goes with me every day.

Draco

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Montblanc Meisterstück 149 – Montblanc Meisterstück LeGrand (146) Pelikan Toledo M700 – Pelikan Souverän M800 – Pelikan Souverän M600 – Pelikan Classic M200 – Pilot Custom 823 Pilot Prera – Pilot MR Lamy AL-star – TWSBI Diamond 580AL

Didn't want to chime in.

The OP contained its answer in itself. It was describing a subjective appreciation. Much the same can one say the 149 is the ugly oversized version of the 146 as one can say the contrary. No matter what any one thinks, there will always be someone to one or  the other side.

What MB might have had in mind is moot as well. As Umberto Eco suggested in his "Opera aperta", art is not only in the mind of the artist, as the mind of the spectator plays as large a part as well, arguably even larger. Applied to FPs, it is how users/buyers perceive them. And that is so totally and absolutely subjective as the interpretation of art.

I know people who despise figurative art (including Michelangelo) and people who despise abstraction. So what, if anyone likes or not this or that model? It is your own opinion that matters and it should matter only to you (unless you are an insecure weakling who needs to be reassured by an FP sommelier in which case, if you do cannot rely your own opinion, why should anyone else?).

I've had similar discussions when talking of wine. Where someone would criticize a "cheap" wine not in fashion only to praise it shortly after, after any famous sommelier had recommended it first and its price had skyrocketed. And vice versa.

Tagging a product as superior or inferior based on subjective criteria is just posing. You like it or not. That's all that really matters.

NOTE: if buying as an inversion, change that to "prospective buyers want it or not, that's all that really matters".

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Yeah; well I'm waiting for a "real" 147.  As in mid-way between the 146 and 149.  Parfait!

Toodles.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I’m thinking of getting a burgundy 146 now. My black is an M nib. Maybe get an F nib for variety?

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

20 hours ago, TgeekB said:

I’m thinking of getting a burgundy 146 now. My black is an M nib. Maybe get an F nib for variety?

I was thinking the same but they aren't that common.

2 minutes ago, mike.f said:

You might look at some of the Le Petit Prince models. They are probably a bit more reddish than the "Burgundy" 146s, but at least are "not black" if you want to add a bit of variety. Even though, AFAIK, they're sold out at most/all retailers, they're new enough that they're not super difficult to find.

Of course you're probably going to only find them in F and M, but they can be sent to the factory for a swap to any other standard grind.

47 minutes ago, mike.f said:

Interesting idea @bunnspecial but that is a bit too red for me, but the blue is appealing. Hmmm.

From what I understood and I saw in the web, the original burgundy 146 is more red than the Le Petit Prince in burgundy.

12 minutes ago, fpupulin said:

From what I understood and I saw in the web, the original burgundy 146 is more red than the Le Petit Prince in burgundy.

Looking at the burgundy obsession thread it is confusing. I've seen some not so red looking 146 and some more red 146. I have a Sailor Pro Gear Realo and it's what I was using as basis, but it's not near as red as the 1911 Realo shown in the burgundy thread.

The currently available Around the World in 80 Days is also a really sharp looking pen. It's blue and not red/burgundy, but is a nice color and a break from black/gold as on the normal 146.

Of course you also have the chrome turning knob and cap finial and some other non-standard stuff, but it's a sharp looking pen.

4 hours ago, mike.f said:

The burgundy or F nib?

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

1 hour ago, mike.f said:

Burgundy 146

Ahh. Yes, I see a few on eBay but certainly not too many. Since the classifieds haven’t been working here for a while, I can’t see if anyone has one for sale or post a WTB thread. 
I’ll be patient. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

I picked up my 146 Bordeaux F here on FPN from the classifieds!  LOVE IT!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

43 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

I picked up my 146 Bordeaux F here on FPN from the classifieds!  LOVE IT!

I saw your photos, nice pen!

To build on my last post...

The 146 and 149 use fundamentally the same design. All of the standard resin Meisterstück writing instruments have a design that hasn't changed much since the very first Meisterstück-branded pen in 1924.

In my eyes, the 149 tends to draw a lot more attention than the 146 simply because it's a lot larger. While the LeGrand is easily recognizable as a Montblanc writing instrument, it doesn't have the eye-popping girth of its bigger brother. But the design commonality means it's definitely not an "ugly stepchild", not by a long shot.

Draco

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Montblanc Meisterstück 149 – Montblanc Meisterstück LeGrand (146) Pelikan Toledo M700 – Pelikan Souverän M800 – Pelikan Souverän M600 – Pelikan Classic M200 – Pilot Custom 823 Pilot Prera – Pilot MR Lamy AL-star – TWSBI Diamond 580AL

2 hours ago, bwDraco said:

To build on my last post...

The 146 and 149 use fundamentally the same design. All of the standard resin Meisterstück writing instruments have a design that hasn't changed much since the very first Meisterstück-branded pen in 1924.

In my eyes, the 149 tends to draw a lot more attention than the 146 simply because it's a lot larger. While the LeGrand is easily recognizable as a Montblanc writing instrument, it doesn't have the eye-popping girth of its bigger brother. But the design commonality means it's definitely not an "ugly stepchild", not by a long shot.

Draco

So maybe the 149 is the overweight brother of the 146. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade