Is the 146 the ugly stepchild of the 149?

TgeekB

So when I do a search for the 146 on these forums, or the internet in general, I get a random hit or two. When I search the 149, my server crashes. 
I recently bought a 146 from a member here, partly because of the price difference and partly because the size, I feel, is perfect. Not too big, not too small. It writes beautifully. It feels great in the hand. It’s solidly built. 
Am I just missing something or is it generally not regarded on par with the 149? If not, why?

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TgeekB

• bunnspecial

• NoType

• kazoolaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No one who has ever used a 146 would say that. In my opinion, it is one of the few absolutely perfect pen designs ever made.

How are you searching?  I get pages and pages on startpage.com with "site:fountainpennetwork.com montblanc|MB 146".  Same for the 149.  

The 146 gets its respect.  You'll hear people saying that the 146 is more portable or that they prefer the 146 for writing or that they don't like the size of the 149.  I've even heard people express a preference for the 146 nibs.  (Why is a bit of a mystery to me.)

21 minutes ago, gyasko said:

How are you searching?  I get pages and pages on startpage.com with "site:fountainpennetwork.com montblanc|MB 146".  Same for the 149.  

The 146 gets its respect.  You'll hear people saying that the 146 is more portable or that they prefer the 146 for writing or that they don't like the size of the 149.  I've even heard people express a preference for the 146 nibs.  (Why is a bit of a mystery to me.)

I used the search option right here in the forums and, you know, Google!

Are you telling me you’re finding as much on the 146 as the 149? If so, I need to relearn the Internet. 😉

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

43 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

No one who has ever used a 146 would say that. In my opinion, it is one of the few absolutely perfect pen designs ever made.

I agree and that’s why I’m asking. It seems the 149 gets the bulk of the, let’s call it, social media. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

There are certain things the general public think are the “best.”  These would include Bose speakers, Rolex watches, and Mont Blanc pens especially the 149. Are those the products on that list are very good they are not necessarily the very, very best.

7 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

I agree and that’s why I’m asking. It seems the 149 gets the bulk of the, let’s call it, social media. 

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Just now, TgeekB said:

I used the search option right here in the forums and, you know, Google!

Are you telling me you’re finding as much on the 146 as the 149? If so, I need to relearn the Internet. 😉

startpage just does anonymized google searches & takes out the cruft that google dumps on their page.  Otherwise, it gives you the same results as google -- at least as far as i know.

As for the search engine on this site, it is notoriously unreliable. 

And yes, you should find as much on the 146 as the 149.  The 146 is a very popular pen.

27 minutes ago, gyasko said:

startpage just does anonymized google searches & takes out the cruft that google dumps on their page.  Otherwise, it gives you the same results as google -- at least as far as i know.

As for the search engine on this site, it is notoriously unreliable. 

And yes, you should find as much on the 146 as the 149.  The 146 is a very popular pen.

I agree that I should, I just don’t. 

Ive not used Startpage, Google search is the industry standard.

If I go to the Montblanc forums here and look at every post, page by page, it isn’t close. 
I have to agree (and thus why I brought it up) that people generally “think”, through marketing, that certain items, like Rolex or the MB 149, are the best. That is why I brought this topic up, for people to think about it. Why do we do this? Is it marketing? Is bigger better? 
I find these topics interesting. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

33 minutes ago, OCArt said:

There are certain things the general public think are the “best.”  These would include Bose speakers, Rolex watches, and Mont Blanc pens especially the 149. Are those the products on that list are very good they are not necessarily the very, very best.

I agree. It shows how marketing influences many of our decisions. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

I think that Montblanc always marketed the 149 as their flagship model, sort of "symbol" of the maison. Until a very few yers ago, it was only offered in the basic, black and gold configuration (aside a few, very exclusive seeblings in precious metals or skeletonize), a way to say that it was a pen impossible to improve.

People love or hate the 149 on that same basis. Most of people who hate the 149, never tried one. Those who love it, often own more than one 149.

The 146 has been historically offered in much more configurations, under the name of Solitaires. I agree that it is an extraordinary writing instrument, but coherently with Montblanc's designation of the 149 as their "number 1", the 146 had to accommodate in the next available place, "number 2". Here in the forum, however, as well in the real world, we know a lot of people who simply prefer the 146 for the reasons that others already exposed.

15 minutes ago, fpupulin said:

I think that Montblanc always marketed the 149 as their flagship model, sort of "symbol" of the maison. Until a very few yers ago, it was only offered in the basic, black and gold configuration (aside a few, very exclusive seeblings in precious metals or skeletonize), a way to say that it was a pen impossible to improve.

People love or hate the 149 on that same basis. Most of people who hate the 149, never tried one. Those who love it, often own more than one 149.

The 146 has been historically offered in much more configurations, under the name of Solitaires. I agree that it is an extraordinary writing instrument, but coherently with Montblanc's designation of the 149 as their "number 1", the 146 had to accommodate in the next available place, "number 2". Here in the forum, however, as well in the real world, we know a lot of people who simply prefer the 146 for the reasons that others already exposed.

Thank you, that’s very interesting and informative.

Every brands needs or wants a “flagship” to be their best seller. It’s what they pour their marketing budget into.

Thats not to say the 149 isn’t the best or one of the best fountain pens available. Heck, I might buy one some day if I find the right buy. I’m more interested in the consumer reaction and, from what you all have said, the 146 is seen by those in the know as a very fine writing instrument. I know I love mine. ❤️

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

26 minutes ago, TgeekB said:

I agree that I should, I just don’t. 

Ive not used Startpage, Google search is the industry standard.

If I go to the Montblanc forums here and look at every post, page by page, it isn’t close. 

Startpage is just a front end to google.  It will give you the same results because it’s pulling them off google.   My search string will work at google.   You can paste it in there if you prefer.

The MB pages won’t have all the threads & posts about whether to buy a 146 or a Blahblahblah 5000, the for sale posts, the posts where the 146 is used as a yardstick to measure some other pen, repair discussions, etc.   

6 minutes ago, gyasko said:

Startpage is just a front end to google.  It will give you the same results because it’s pulling them off google.   My search string will work at google.   You can paste it in there if you prefer.

The MB pages won’t have all the threads & posts about whether to buy a 146 or a Blahblahblah 5000, the for sale posts, the posts where the 146 is used as a yardstick to measure some other pen, repair discussions, etc.   

I appreciate your experience in the forums and with fountain pens in general. My viewpoint is as someone rather new to the hobby. That’s probably why we have different viewpoints.

As I build my collection I like to ensure I am buying and using pens that fulfill my needs/wants. Learning from everyone here and asking questions like these help me to meet my goals. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

New users to the hobby or casual fans often equate size with value, i.e. bigger is better. The 149 nib looks more impressive next to the 146 nib. The design is more ornate on the nib. The 149 looks like the big brother. It is more than most people need.

I think the 146 probably outsells the 149. Almost all the special and limited editions are based off the 146 platform/form factor. 

Most folks don't know the I ternals are the same... same piston, same ink capacity for recent models. The 149 has one option that matters to me that puts it above the 146 - the ability to get an OBBB nib as a factory option. This is my favorite nib width and not available as stock on the other models.

This site and other like it can distort your view of the hobby. You might think MB 149 O3B and 149 Calligraphy special editions are all anyone wants by hanging out here. Reality is the roller balls and lower price point pens outsell the 149 and 146 based on what I have heard form boutique management. 

The 146 is awesome and if you like the size a better value new or used. I happen to prefer the 149 because I like those produced in the 1950s abs 1960s when the nibs were softer.  The 1950s 146s are quite small for my hand and they stopped making the model from 1960 to the early 1970s so that leaves me the 149.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Montblanc Meisterstück is one of the most iconic pen designs of all time (Parker Duofold etc too). To say that 146 is an ugly stepchild of 149 is like saying Audrey Hepburn is an ugly little sister of Angelina Jolie, "you can't be serious!" 😀 Ok, don't nail me on the actual ages of the two. It's just an analogy.🙂 The smaller size of 146 reaches more audience, I think.

Given that they are historically much newer models, I do not think it is an accident that the Pelikan M800 and M1000 are the size and weight that they are, in important dimensions that affect how the pen feels in the hand. I would speculate that they were carefully benchmarked against a couple of very popular and well-performing competitors.

I am also not surprised that the M800 generally sells better. I suppose it is a pattern repeating itself.

As for the differences between the 146 and 149, I think others have already captured most pertinent points. They are both fine pens. I do find that among people who have both, they usually have a definite preference for one or the other...

Are MB's (146 & 149 in particular) best pens ever made? IMO No

Are MB's best pens currently available? IMO No

Are MB's great pens? IMO Yes

For me 149 is too big for regular writing. I'm using it pretty much only for signatures (mine has OBB nib)

146 is one of my workhorses.

However for instance Pelikan has better piston filling mechanism then MB  

I was inert to the MB pens until recently but I kept seeing comparison to the 149 in almost every review of "oversize" or flagship pen of any brand. Eventually I decided to get one as my first MB because I have large hands and I thought I will like the beefier section and barrel. But already in the store when they let me try different nib sizes using the demo set of 146's I noticed that the 146 is even more comfortable in my hand and would it not be for the Calligraphy nib of the 149, I would not purchase the 149 after all. Despite my large hands I find the section of 149 to have tad too girth for my liking in direct comparison with the 146. Eventually I have acquired two vintage 146 since then and I love using them most from all pens I have.

As part of my FP journey I would try all sorts of pens provided it didn't involve breaking the bank.  I would, of course, gravitate towards flagship models, assuming they would have more to offer.  My feeling on the matter changed with the Pelikan M1000.  When I got the pen, it immediately struck me that I preferred the M800 because of the size difference.  I thought the M1000 to be too big for me.  The MB149 followed soon after.  I have two of them, but I gotta say that I prefer my MB146's.  It's a lot more comfortable in size and I've actually lost interest in pens that are bigger and am re-exploring medium to smaller sized pens.  

1 minute ago, maclink said:

As part of my FP journey I would try all sorts of pens provided it didn't involve breaking the bank.  I would, of course, gravitate towards flagship models, assuming they would have more to offer.  My feeling on the matter changed with the Pelikan M1000.  When I got the pen, it immediately struck me that I preferred the M800 because of the size difference.  I thought the M1000 to be too big for me.  The MB149 followed soon after.  I have two of them, but I gotta say that I prefer my MB146's.  It's a lot more comfortable in size and I've actually lost interest in pens that are bigger and am re-exploring medium to smaller sized pens.  

IMO 149 is great for signatures, specially with B or even bigger nib