Another Pen and Ink - New to You PIF

amberleadavis

I'm doing another PIF - here was the prior one so you get ideas. 

If you have more than 100 posts and promise to do a review of both the ink and the pen (so at least two reviews), submit your name here and tell us:

1. What colors you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might say, I've never tried a murky ink and I'm interested, or I am in love with BSB and want to see what other inks are like it);
  2. What brands of ink you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might say, I've never tried a Noodler's ink and I'd like to try one);
  3. What sort of nibs you you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might tell us that you have always used stubs and would like to try an extra fine nib)
  4. Once you have the PIF, submit pictures here and links to both reviews.

Here are the other "rules" - you pay for shipping. If you don't love what I send you - you PIF it to someone who will love it or PIF it forward. I will send you a pen that I am no longer using and at least one sample of ink, but maybe more. You won't know what you are getting and I'm not promising any particular ink, sample or pen.

I don't know how many of these I will do, but at least one. I will start these on Saturday and I will close the PIF after a few days, probably Monday.

I'm happy to ship internationally, but I don't know if the delays will cause a problem so keep that in mind if you post.

This choice will not be random, I'm giving these to first to the posters who have brought the most cheer to FPN and to me. Bonus points if you are a frequent poster or reviewer. The more persuasive you are, that you will use and enjoy this PIF, the better.

BTW, I still owe Karmachanic a special package.

THIS PIF HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE INKSTERS! and Dromgooles

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• goodpens

• essayfaire

• brokenclay

OH my, a whole hour and no replies?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for another generous PIF, @amberleadavis!

What colors you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might say, I've never tried a murky ink and I'm interested, or I am in love with BSB and want to see what other inks are like it);

Most of the inks I've bought and tried are fairly staid: blues and blacks and a few browns. I bought a bunch of Goulet samples in an effort to find a bright red and wound up with a lot of dark oranges and browns. I'd like to learn about some brighter colors and sheening (boy, autocorrect does not like that word) inks.

What brands of ink you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might say, I've never tried a Noodler's ink and I'd like to try one);

I'd love to try some Colorverse inks. I had a sample of Quasar that I thought was amazing, but was put off buying a whole bottle due to the cost. I lived in Korea for a couple of years when I was young, so am interested in Colorverse as a Korean company, and I work in aerospace (satellites, not planes) so love the idea of the astronomy themed color names.

What sort of nibs you you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might tell us that you have always used stubs and would like to try an extra fine nib)

After buying a bunch of pens with normal round nibs, I've learned that while it's a good idea to have a few fines lying around, I love stubs. I don't want to buy any more pens that don't have a nib that I will love, because after all, the nib is the whole point (um, see what I did there?).

Once you have the PIF, submit pictures here and links to both reviews.

If selected, I promise to do so!

2 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I'm doing another PIF - here was the prior one so you get ideas. 

If you have more than 100 posts and promise to do a review of both the ink and the pen (so at least two reviews), submit your name here and tell us:

1. What colors you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might say, I've never tried a murky ink and I'm interested, or I am in love with BSB and want to see what other inks are like it);
  2. What brands of ink you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might say, I've never tried a Noodler's ink and I'd like to try one);
  3. What sort of nibs you you like (or want to try) and why. (For example, you might tell us that you have always used stubs and would like to try an extra fine nib)

Here are the other "rules" - you pay for shipping. If you don't love what I send you - you PIF it to someone who will love it or PIF it forward. I will send you a pen that I am no longer using and at least one sample of ink, but maybe more. You won't know what you are getting and I'm not promising any particular ink, sample or pen.

I don't know how many of these I will do, but at least one. I will start these on Saturday and I will close the PIF after a few days, probably Monday.

I'm happy to ship internationally, but I don't know if the delays will cause a problem so keep that in mind if you post.

This choice will not be random, I'm giving these to first to the posters who have brought the most cheer to FPN and to me. Bonus points if you are a frequent poster or reviewer. The more persuasive you are, that you will use and enjoy this PIF, the better.

BTW, I still owe Karmachanic a special package.

THIS PIF HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE INKSTERS! and Dromgooles

How generous, thank you!

1. My inks are mostly fairly bright, boozy blues and greens--I'd love to try a shady gray or brown! 

2. I'd definitely like to try an ink brand I've never tried before--which is a fairly long list--De Atramentis, Montblanc, Caran D'Ache, Aurora, Organics Studio... 

3. Somehow I've never owned a B/BB or flex nib, but I'd love to try one, the better to shade with...

4. Deal!

Thanks again, and good luck to all!

How wonderful! Here we go:

1. What colors I like (or want to try) and why:

I prefer darker colors ('jewel tones'--purples, greens, blues, maroons) more than murky or pastel. I've been really enjoying shading inks recently (Noodler's Habanero is *chef's kiss*), but in the past couple of years it seems that ink manufacturers have started jumping on the sheening bandwagon--e.g., Organic Studio Nitrogen, or Robert Oster or Vinta or KWZ Sheen machine, or the Diamine Sheening line.  I don't think I could use sheening inks for regular journaling--too smudgy--but I'd love to try them out. 

2. What brands of ink you like (or want to try) and why.

Vinta and Robert Oster are two companies I've seen that seem to have been jumping on the sheen train, and I'd like to see what they have to offer re: 1. Also Organic Studio Nitrogen. All of these are a little harder to come by in the UK.

3. What sort of nibs you you like (or want to try) and why.

Especially for trying out new nibs, I'm getting into mediums and broads. I don't care for stubs, although a small stub--like a .6mm stub would be ok. Again, those are usually too broad for every day journaling, but for trying out new inks and papers, I'd love to try broads. My DREAM nib to try would be an architect grind, but I know that's a bit much to ask for a PIF.

4. Once you have the PIF, submit pictures here and links to both reviews.

Willingly! happily! Delightedly!

Thanks for another one of these, @amberleadavis, Inksters, and Dromgooles!

I'd enjoy participating again. But this entry comes with a disclaimer: I've won before and am completely fine if it knocks me out of the running. (I'm currently really enjoying the Lanbitou 286, with a fude nib, from the last round. It's currently filled w/Birmingham Violet Starling.)

1. I've come to the conclusion that I don't enjoy much sheen. But I love shading. So I'd like to try shady inks in the dark murky zone. For example, Robert Oster Motor Oil looks very appealing, but I haven't tried it. I'd also like to try some classic black inks: Iroshizuku take sumi, J. Herbin perle noir, etc.  
  2. The more I use Diamine, the more impressed I am. A zillion colors that satisfy almost any color craving. I've only tried a few RO inks and would like to try others. I just received a sample of a Colorverse ink and now want to try more from that brand, as my experience with it is very limited.
  3. I've always been mainly into EF nibs, but I'm enjoying branching out to B, fude, italic, etc. 
  4. Happy to cover postage, submit pics and reviews, etc.

I'll consider all requests made before Monday (maybe Tuesday since Monday is a holiday here).  I have commitments on Wednesday and Thursday so I probably won't ship stuff until next Friday.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:10 AM, amberleadavis said:

Hi Amberlea - thanks for enriching the community with this, and thanks to THE INKSTERS! and Dromgooles for enabling it. Stuff like like makes it better for us all, you included, I'd say.

I'd like to be considered for this - I'm kinda new here but would like to put my foot forward regardless, for the enrichment of all.

1. I like almost all colors, excepting yellow & pink - I'm kinda partial to using different inks in each of my pens, e.g. black, blue, orange, brown etc - preferably coordinated with pen vs ink somehow; e.g. my Harley Waterman is running on deep-dark-black Staedtler ink.
2. I would like to try any Japanese ink, I've heard a lot about them and would love to give them a shot. In particular, have heard nothing but praise for the Irushizuku line, despite its cost.
3. So far, almost all my pens are M, with one F, and I think trying out a stub- or flex-nib would be a good idea. But hey, you don't know until you try! :)
4. I agree, of course. May need a bit of assist making the link from here to there, but that will be learned, with or w/out assist. 😃

May the gods of ink smile upon us and grant their blessings to a worthy recipient.
/Daneaxe

I love this concept. I can't pay for shipping but that can't stop me from following this and waiting for the beautiful reviews and joy people have when they get their gifts :)

MAR Watermark.png
fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Indiana . USA

Thanks for the PIF! I'd like to submit my name into the pool.

1. I like darker colours like deep purples, Maroons and Browns compared to pastels. I'm also a sucker for shading!

2. I'd like to try diamine, noodlers and iroshizuku since they're not available in India!

3. I've tried a lot of nib sizes, F, M, B, 1.1mm stub and flex. I quite enjoy all of them. They all have their place!

4. Done deal. Thanks again!

On 5/27/2021 at 7:03 PM, brokenclay said:

Thank you for another generous PIF, @amberleadavis!

Most of the inks I've bought and tried are fairly staid: blues and blacks and a few browns. I bought a bunch of Goulet samples in an effort to find a bright red and wound up with a lot of dark oranges and browns. I'd like to learn about some brighter colors and sheening (boy, autocorrect does not like that word) inks.

I'd love to try some Colorverse inks. I had a sample of Quasar that I thought was amazing, but was put off buying a whole bottle due to the cost. I lived in Korea for a couple of years when I was young, so am interested in Colorverse as a Korean company, and I work in aerospace (satellites, not planes) so love the idea of the astronomy themed color names.

After buying a bunch of pens with normal round nibs, I've learned that while it's a good idea to have a few fines lying around, I love stubs. I don't want to buy any more pens that don't have a nib that I will love, because after all, the nib is the whole point (um, see what I did there?).

If selected, I promise to do so!

On 5/27/2021 at 9:32 PM, rkesey said:

How generous, thank you!

1. My inks are mostly fairly bright, boozy blues and greens--I'd love to try a shady gray or brown! 

2. I'd definitely like to try an ink brand I've never tried before--which is a fairly long list--De Atramentis, Montblanc, Caran D'Ache, Aurora, Organics Studio... 

3. Somehow I've never owned a B/BB or flex nib, but I'd love to try one, the better to shade with...

4. Deal!

Thanks again, and good luck to all!

On 5/28/2021 at 2:10 AM, Ergative said:

How wonderful! Here we go:

1. What colors I like (or want to try) and why:

I prefer darker colors ('jewel tones'--purples, greens, blues, maroons) more than murky or pastel. I've been really enjoying shading inks recently (Noodler's Habanero is *chef's kiss*), but in the past couple of years it seems that ink manufacturers have started jumping on the sheening bandwagon--e.g., Organic Studio Nitrogen, or Robert Oster or Vinta or KWZ Sheen machine, or the Diamine Sheening line.  I don't think I could use sheening inks for regular journaling--too smudgy--but I'd love to try them out. 

2. What brands of ink you like (or want to try) and why.

Vinta and Robert Oster are two companies I've seen that seem to have been jumping on the sheen train, and I'd like to see what they have to offer re: 1. Also Organic Studio Nitrogen. All of these are a little harder to come by in the UK.

3. What sort of nibs you you like (or want to try) and why.

Especially for trying out new nibs, I'm getting into mediums and broads. I don't care for stubs, although a small stub--like a .6mm stub would be ok. Again, those are usually too broad for every day journaling, but for trying out new inks and papers, I'd love to try broads. My DREAM nib to try would be an architect grind, but I know that's a bit much to ask for a PIF.

4. Once you have the PIF, submit pictures here and links to both reviews.

Willingly! happily! Delightedly!

On 5/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, goodpens said:

Thanks for another one of these, @amberleadavis, Inksters, and Dromgooles!

I'd enjoy participating again. But this entry comes with a disclaimer: I've won before and am completely fine if it knocks me out of the running. (I'm currently really enjoying the Lanbitou 286, with a fude nib, from the last round. It's currently filled w/Birmingham Violet Starling.)

1. I've come to the conclusion that I don't enjoy much sheen. But I love shading. So I'd like to try shady inks in the dark murky zone. For example, Robert Oster Motor Oil looks very appealing, but I haven't tried it. I'd also like to try some classic black inks: Iroshizuku take sumi, J. Herbin perle noir, etc.  
  2. The more I use Diamine, the more impressed I am. A zillion colors that satisfy almost any color craving. I've only tried a few RO inks and would like to try others. I just received a sample of a Colorverse ink and now want to try more from that brand, as my experience with it is very limited.
  3. I've always been mainly into EF nibs, but I'm enjoying branching out to B, fude, italic, etc. 
  4. Happy to cover postage, submit pics and reviews, etc.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:58 PM, smruthib said:

Thanks for the PIF! I'd like to submit my name into the pool.

1. I like darker colours like deep purples, Maroons and Browns compared to pastels. I'm also a sucker for shading!

2. I'd like to try diamine, noodlers and iroshizuku since they're not available in India!

3. I've tried a lot of nib sizes, F, M, B, 1.1mm stub and flex. I quite enjoy all of them. They all have their place!

4. Done deal. Thanks again!

Please send me a PM with your full name and address.   If you are outside of the US, the shipping costs may make this cost prohibitive.

On 5/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, Mar_ said:

I love this concept. I can't pay for shipping but that can't stop me from following this and waiting for the beautiful reviews and joy people have when they get their gifts :)

On 5/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, Daneaxe said:

Hi Amberlea - thanks for enriching the community with this, and thanks to THE INKSTERS! and Dromgooles for enabling it. Stuff like like makes it better for us all, you included, I'd say.

I'd like to be considered for this - I'm kinda new here but would like to put my foot forward regardless, for the enrichment of all.

1. I like almost all colors, excepting yellow & pink - I'm kinda partial to using different inks in each of my pens, e.g. black, blue, orange, brown etc - preferably coordinated with pen vs ink somehow; e.g. my Harley Waterman is running on deep-dark-black Staedtler ink.
2. I would like to try any Japanese ink, I've heard a lot about them and would love to give them a shot. In particular, have heard nothing but praise for the Irushizuku line, despite its cost.
3. So far, almost all my pens are M, with one F, and I think trying out a stub- or flex-nib would be a good idea. But hey, you don't know until you try! :)
4. I agree, of course. May need a bit of assist making the link from here to there, but that will be learned, with or w/out assist. 😃

May the gods of ink smile upon us and grant their blessings to a worthy recipient.
/Daneaxe

On 5/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, Mar_ said:

Mar, make five more posts then PM me with your full name and address.

Danaxe, you need a bunch more posts.  How about five reviews or so?  Ink / pens / paper it doesn't matter - five reviews will count.

Okay, everyone, the PIF is now closed.  I should have closed this sooner in order to get addresses, but I did find all kinds of cool stuff to share.  For personal reasons, I will be unable to ship next week so it will be two weeks before I am back in the office, but it will be worth the wait. Please be sure to PM me with your info so that when I am back in the office I can get the mailing labels printed.

35 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Please send me a PM with your full name and address.   If you are outside of the US, the shipping costs may make this cost prohibitive.

Oh wonderful! Thanks so much--can't wait to see what comes. PM incoming!

@amberleadavis

You are awesome for doing this. You are definitely a massive enabler :D

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

10 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Danaxe, you need a bunch more posts.  How about five reviews or so?  Ink / pens / paper it doesn't matter - five reviews will count.

Definitely okay. I have been dipping my toes, spouting opinions here & there, making new threads about mystery pens I found 2nd-hand. But I'm still a far cry from 100 posts. However, I could make a review about a couple of Diamine inks as well as these two 'new-for-me' vintage pens; the English Platignum '69' and the German Reform <unknown>. I made an "ID mystery pen" post about the last, in the history section...

:)

That would certainly make a dent, plus I can review whatever pen or ink you send me. What would it cost to ship, you think? Should I brace myself for the impact on my wallet? ;)

Stay Safe,

Daneaxe

On 6/5/2021 at 5:45 PM, amberleadavis said:

Okay, everyone, the PIF is now closed.  I should have closed this sooner in order to get addresses, but I did find all kinds of cool stuff to share.  For personal reasons, I will be unable to ship next week so it will be two weeks before I am back in the office, but it will be worth the wait. Please be sure to PM me with your info so that when I am back in the office I can get the mailing labels printed.

I just saw your generous PIF and was in the midst of compiling my list when I saw that it has closed! Alas, I am too late to enter.  For others looking for a PIF, I'm giving away lettering pens and don't have many entries....

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 1 month later...

Sorry this has taken so long. For those of you who don't know, I was very sick with stage iv colon cancer this last year, but I have great news -the oncologist has declared I'm cancer free!  I will still be sending out packages to all of you as indicated, and you are still getting exciting stuff.  @DromgoolesHoustonsent me some stuff to share.  I may not be shipping until week after next, but please forgive the delay.  If I still have energy, I will get packages made up today for shipping tomorrow.  I'm trying to keep the shipping cost under $6.

Edited 3 minutes ago by amberleadavis (see edit history)