Pencils from Uncle Doug

I've noticed of late that I have collected way too many writing instruments over the years. Fountain pens, ballpoints, and pencils of different types.

My original purpose was to find the best of each (for my use), and am getting to that point where it's time to part ways with some of them.

I really love wood cased pencils and have many doubles, mostly 2B,some other hardness as well. The majority are made in the Us.

I don't quite know where to start as we don't seem to have many pencil collectors here. I'd like to change that. So, with that being said, I'm willing to send a small (3 or 4) starter collection to the first 5 who pm me. I'll include a note with each.

After those are gone, I'll do it again next month.

This will be fun 😎

Doug T aka Zookie

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zookie

• flatline

• Black Spot

• flymark

That's a great idea! I hope some interested folks take you up on your offer and that you're successful in getting more folks interested in pencils.

I don't use wooden pencils as much as I used to, but I always keep several ready to go just in case I get the urge. Sometimes a wooden pencil is exactly what I want to use.

--flatline

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 6:03 PM, Zookie said:

This will be fun 😎

Doug T aka Zookie

have you ever used a palimino black wing ?

I never have. I'd like to though. I've heard that the lead is a lot like the lead in a Musgrave News 600, a pencil I use daily.

Want to trade?

Doug

I only have one 

17 hours ago, Zookie said:

I never have. I'd like to though. I've heard that the lead is a lot like the lead in a Musgrave News 600, a pencil I use daily.

Want to trade?

Doug

I would, but,

I only have one blackwing and have already used it, and the shipping would be ridiculous. 

I'm not in the US right now. 

To those who receive the pencils, please share your impressions with us.

--flatline

19 hours ago, flatline said:

To those who receive the pencils, please share your impressions with us.

--flatline

I'm a pencil fanatic, and have more than I could ever use. I also have an awful lot of mechanical pencils. 

Want one or two?

Doug

Sure!

My current stash is bigger than I can justify with a straight face, but as far as hobbies go, it's cheaper than drinking!

I'll send you a PM.

--flatline

Wow!  I received my pencils from Uncle Doug a few days ago.  The package contained seven pencils, a sharpener, an eraser and a pencil clip along with a wonderful handwritten note from Doug explaining the pencil selection and providing some backgrounds.   

Perhaps the most intriguing are the two Indian pencils, a Apsara Gold (HB) and a Nataraj Bold.  These are sharpened and being used right now.  I'm very impressed with how both write, dark lines (just a little shading on Staples Sustainable Earth paper). They look like they will both hold up well for daily writing.  They are both nice looking pencils. 

Aside from these two, Uncle Doug also included several Ticonderoga's (an Envirostick, a Black, 2 1388-2HB Softs and a Tennessee Red cedar with a clip and eraser. 

This was such a nice personal gesture from Uncle Doug.  We're lucky to have this community. 

This space intentionally blank.

The Tennesee Red is one of my favorite pencils, as is the News 600 and the Harvest Professional. Musgrave makes some wonderful items!

The sharpener was, if I remember correctly, a long point from Apsara. These are the best that I've found so far.

The clip is from "Faultless", another favorite. They clip nicely to your notebooks.

I've still got some pencils, wood cased and mechanical to share if anyone is interested 😁

• 4 weeks later...

I sent Zookie a Blackwing 602 since he mentioned earlier in the thread than he'd never tried one. Today in the mail I received a small package with some pencils I had mentioned to him that I'd never tried along with a very nice hand written note. So I guess this turned into a trade :)

Anyways, since I asked folks to give their impressions of the pencils they got, it's only fair that I do the same.

Two pencils were Palomino ForestChoice. Up to now the only experience I've had with Palomino pencils was with the Blackwing 602 and an assorted set of the Orange drawing pencils. The hardness of the ForestChoice lead puts it somewhere around the Orange HB, but it feels more like the Blackwing to write with (but harder). In the note Zookie included with the pencil, he speculated that the Blackwing and ForestChoice leads might have similar formulas. I can believe that. It's a very pleasant pencil to write with.

The other two pencils were Musgrave Harvest. These are the first Musgrave pencils I've ever tried and the first thing I noticed is that the un-rounded hex body feels very different to use than the more common rounded hex pencils. At first it was a bit distracting, but after a line or two it didn't bother me at all. It reminds me of writing with some of my mechanical pencils or lead holders. The pencil is marked as a "2", but the lead is softer and darker than what I normally expect from a number 2 pencil. Oh, I also like that the pencil is a little wider than standard. Very comfortable to write with.

Thank you, Zookie, for these pencils! They'll go straight into my pencil cup on my desk!

--flatline