Stuff I made that might be interesting to someone

IThinkIHaveAProblem

Hi,

Got kinda bored, took a bunch of pictures, thought some people might like to see some of them.

This set was taken with the following thought in mind: "how desirable can I make a third tier pen seem..."

large.P1183286-2.jpg.fadfc34beddd585f3863168568be1c9b.jpg

large.P1183282-2.jpg.a273b56c391eb9835a7dbd5c558baf63.jpg

large.P1183281-2.jpg.06d21a6a71780657a342bae3dbd4709d.jpg

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• amberleadavis

• Aysedasi

• ajcoleman

Earlier this year, I decided to try and improve my photoshop "skills" (i use the word very lightly)

I did not want to play a game of "find and download the perfect matching font" so I used what I already had installed

The pens in my reproductions are all real photos of my real pens. As much as I could, I used the same pen as would have been in the ad. In this one I used my black Vacumatic "51" with a Sterling Silver Cap (from a different pen...)

The hands are real too. 

(the ads are mostly swiped from Google Books scans of magazines, usually LIFE magazine)

Nothing from the original ad has been carried over to my reproduciton.

Original Parker Ad:

large.content-1-2.jpg.f29b50553d6aaeee42

My Reproduction:

large.1141214733_parker51rationedinprodu

Comparison:

large.Image.gif.2d26aa9a1b4d27d22902ae96

"First year" (aka early production with the thin collar) Sheaffer Snorkel
This pen came to me as a Statesman, but had the common crack in the cap at the clip.
(This is the first snorkel I have owned that has had this damage, I have been lucky)
So, I've upgraded it to being a Clipper.
I restored this pen with new seals and sac.
Oddly, this pen has the correct gold snorkel tube, but the sac protector is a last generation model (per Richard Binder's website)
Likely it had the sac and sac protector replaced at some point
The pen writes beautifully. 

large.IMG_1277-2.jpg.324fcef7fb5a3c6b1f7

Great job.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

2 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Great job.

Thanks!

After spending hours and hours looking at other people's photography threads, especially Christof's and PenHero's work, I just really wanted to try and do something myself. 

I have been watching my son work in photoshop, he makes it look easy, I just suffer - LOUDLY, until he finally does it.  So, I appreciate the effort you put in!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

1 hour ago, amberleadavis said:

I have been watching my son work in photoshop, he makes it look easy, I just suffer - LOUDLY, until he finally does it.  So, I appreciate the effort you put in!

Thanks!

It was an excellent way to take up hours and hours and hours...

honestly, the most frustrating part is photographing YOUR OWN hand... it's awkward when using a camera (slightly less so with a cell phone with a remote shutter) I probably spent more time trying to get my hands into the correct position and getting a decent picture than i did on any other single part of the series of Parker ads i've done (there are several more)

two things i've learned:

1) while parker's ads with hands (there's a whole series of them) LOOK anatomically correct, I do not believe they are. Either that, or I have weird hands..

2) Sheaffer ads are NOT to scale, often the pens are not even to scale with themselves!

In other photos, ones that are not copies of ads, generally I don't use photoshop, unless i'm trying out some focus stacking. My usual tool is Snapseed. 

Two more pics of the same "First Year" snorkel Clipper
In the second, I am channeling my inner "Acoustic Pens" because I absolutely love his photography and presentation
Although I have a long way to go in attempting to match his penmanship

large.FC_20210210_0027-2-2.jpg.3bf6a7448

large.779664516_sheaffersnorkelblackfirs

this one was inspired by looking at Christof's many "comparison/identification/glamour shot" police line ups
- "51" flighter set (the refill in the liquid lead pencil WORKS (kinda)), 
- 3 different models of 45 flighter (oldest to newest) and 
- uhg, yes, a ballpoint jotter with a fisher space pen refill (this is my apocalypse pen/refill it ALWAYS works)

large.IMG_1141-2.jpg.452d61851b28e3b312f

1950 Parker "51" Flighter

large_pic.jpg.710cb371ce7ce3917a505bc1bf

What if the guy from Acoustic Pens was selling the Banker's Pen...

large.banker2-4.jpg.01564e90c7ef6913bab9

Fortress Europe Invasion Kit

large.653217414_invasionkitcopy-4.jpg.95

Appreciation of Stainless Steel
Parker "51" Flighter + Seiko Samurai

large.IMG_2415-2.jpg.00320706ee20cf78447

Thanks! I'm glad you like them! 

They are usually fun to do :) 

Seiko Turtle with Vac Demi "51"s in Cedar Blue and Cordovan Brown

large.571089771_turtleanddemiscopy-4.jpg

My attempt to emulate @PenHero 's style (which i love)

large.IMG_0837-4.jpg.be9a8e846ae8388d893

Today is the anniversary of D-Day. 
Likely the most important single day in the last 100+ years.
To my earlier post (Fortress Europe Invasion Kit) I add this:
A picture of my recently acquired (and restored) 1941 Parker Vacumatic Jr Double Jewel in Silver Pearl
The pen and pencil and engraved with the same name (David Russell), and it matches the initials on the pen case
The leather zip up folio was included with the sale and is believed to have belonged to the same RCAF member
The paper is a replica of an Airgraph (the UK/Commonwealth version of American V-Mail)

Per Ardua Ad Astra

large.IMG_2092-4.jpg.1bcc09ce14cad349784

more replicated advertising ("51" advertising from the 40s and 50's is just great stuff!)

original:

large.content-31.jpeg.e0ed1c379e1ace8f29

My reproduction:

large.1137678016_parker51sofewfor43-4.jp

Comparison Gif:

large.Image.gif.a8943437a4c2ec44f7fd47f9