(almost) complete Al Star Family Portrait

bonnie-scott

I thought while I had the camera out I really should share some pictures of the (almost) complete Al-Star Family.

Again apologies for the kitchen table photography.  Working to provide something better for Macro photography.

The set is complete, except for the one with the signature of BASTIAN SCHWEINSTEIGER (which I don't have) and the 50th Anniversary (which I do have but wasn't to hand)  the pens are in order of year of issue, starting top left.  With this years being the last two on the bottom right.

Al Star Full Set v2.jpg

Al Star Part Set 1.jpg

Al Star Part Set 2.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bonnie-scott

• Anne-Sophie

• inkstainedruth

• alexwi

Wow, just wow! That is an awesome collection! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

19 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

Congrats!

Hi,

thank you PAKMAN, jchch1950 and N1003U.

I have been quite lucky with some finds.  You need combination of some luck, deep pockets and a stubborn streak to get there 🙂 I'm more lucky and stubborn (whisper but it also has taken more cash than the better half knows) 🙂

Neat!

I wish my snorkel or “51” collections were even close to that complete!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Very nice collection. I've always liked Lamys. They make good, solid, reliable pens. I never knew that there were so many Al Stars. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thank you for sharing, it is a wonderful collection!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Loved seeing your amazing collection! Thank you.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Awesome collection - really appreciate you sharing.  Truly a beautiful thing.

Have always loved the coffee brown, I think it is, and the ruby (I think is the name) next to it.  Next to impossible to find.

On 5/23/2021 at 8:09 PM, Frank C said:

Very nice collection. I've always liked Lamys. They make good, solid, reliable pens. I never knew that there were so many Al Stars. 

I never did either.  That dark red (Ruby?) one is really nice looking, as are the pale yellow one and the bright blue one next to it (is that Pacific Blue?  I considered buying it when it came out and went to look at it at Birmingham Pens when they still had the B&M store, but it didn't wow me as much in person and I ended up buying a Pink TWSBI 580-AL and three bottles of De Atramentis ink instead.

I have two al-Stars currently, the Vibrant Pink from a few years ago, and the new Azure.  But that collection is amazing.  (And this is why I warn new people about enablers....  I'm not immune MYSELF! :headsmack:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I shall post the complete series soon. Newest two arrives this week. Infectious. ☣️

Those pics give me anxiety, LOL. I'd feel like I'd never be done...because you won't. They'll continue releasing them for decades to come!! Muwhahaha!!!

Nice collection. A lot of really awesome colors there. I especially like the orange one, second from left. I've wanted that one for a couple of years now. I know a guy that has it, and it is his daily writer and ONLY fountain pen. It is beat all to heck and back, but he loves it.

I have the Turmaline one and love the color.

That's the "copper orange". I often wish I would have bought two. One for daily use.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:57 PM, Man O War said:

Have always loved the coffee brown, I think it is, and the ruby (I think is the name) next to it.  Next to impossible to find.

Going from left to right the colours are called
  1. Original - Aluminium first produced in 1997 and discontinued in 2015
  2. Graphite - Still a current model and not a LE as such.
  3. Silver Blue - some people refer to it as Lilac, discontinued in 2010
  4. Silver Green, with black clip and black nib
  5. Silver Green, with chrome clip and chrome nib, regular colour sold between 2008 and 2010
  6. Ocean Blue, 2007 LE, regular colour from 2009
  7. Raspberry, 2008 LE
  8. Black Purple, 2009 LE, regular colour from 2011
  9. Coffee, 2010 LE
  10. Ruby, 2011 LE
  11. Pearl, 2013 LE - some people refer to it as Champagne
  12. Black, 2013 LE, regular colour from 2015
  13. Blue Green, 2014 LE, regular colour from 2016 and discontinued 2020
  14. Copper Orange, 2015 LE
  15. Charged Green, 2016 LE
  16. Pacific Blue, 2017 LE
  17. Vibrant Pink, 2018 LE
  18. Bronze, 2019 LE
  19. Turmaline, 2020 LE

Thanks!  

I'll admit that I don't do the Pokeman "gotta get'em all thing" for any brand.  I buy the ones I like, or catch my eye, or are a super deal, or just make me go "Ooooh, SHINY!".  And if I like a pen, I'm likely to buy another one, in a different color or with a different nib.  But that doesn't mean I'll buy every version of a certain model just to "collect" them all.  My focus is way too scattered for that.  But everyone has different tastes, and different want/wish lists -- and that's what makes it interesting.

Of course I just looked to see prices on eBay for the Ruby.... :yikes:  That's like the NOS prices I was seeing for the French Blue Safari.   But I'll keep looking and maybe I'll get lucky and find someone selling a used one, like I did with the French Blue....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 5/31/2021 at 3:15 PM, bonnie-scott said:
Going from left to right the colours are called
  1. Original - Aluminium first produced in 1997 and discontinued in 2015
  2. Graphite - Still a current model and not a LE as such.
  3. Silver Blue - some people refer to it as Lilac, discontinued in 2010
  4. Silver Green, with black clip and black nib
  5. Silver Green, with chrome clip and chrome nib, regular colour sold between 2008 and 2010
  6. Ocean Blue, 2007 LE, regular colour from 2009
  7. Raspberry, 2008 LE
  8. Black Purple, 2009 LE, regular colour from 2011
  9. Coffee, 2010 LE
  10. Ruby, 2011 LE
  11. Pearl, 2013 LE - some people refer to it as Champagne
  12. Black, 2013 LE, regular colour from 2015
  13. Blue Green, 2014 LE, regular colour from 2016 and discontinued 2020
  14. Copper Orange, 2015 LE
  15. Charged Green, 2016 LE
  16. Pacific Blue, 2017 LE
  17. Vibrant Pink, 2018 LE
  18. Bronze, 2019 LE
  19. Turmaline, 2020 LE

Are the last 2 on the lower tray the 2021 LE? 

If so, would you mind taking a picture of the blue one with Graphite? 

I can't discern how blue the 2021 Al-Star blue is.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

On 5/22/2021 at 3:39 PM, bonnie-scott said:

I thought while I had the camera out I really should share some pictures of the (almost) complete Al-Star Family.

Again apologies for the kitchen table photography.  Working to provide something better for Macro photography.

The set is complete, except for the one with the signature of BASTIAN SCHWEINSTEIGER (which I don't have) and the 50th Anniversary (which I do have but wasn't to hand)  the pens are in order of year of issue, starting top left.  With this years being the last two on the bottom right.

Al Star Full Set v2.jpg

Al Star Part Set 1.jpg

Al Star Part Set 2.jpg

Quite an impressive collection by any measure. Your kitchen has excellent lighting, so nothing to apologize for.

Seeing it, I just realized that pens are also subject to the cheerleader effect. 🙂

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

On 6/3/2021 at 5:08 AM, Anne-Sophie said:

If so, would you mind taking a picture of the blue one with Graphite? 

I can't discern how blue the 2021 Al-Star blue

Will see if I can a slot in the kitchen to take a picture this weekend 🙂