Dating a “new-old” Montblanc 149

Martty

Dear friends,

I recently acquired a MB 149. My first 149 with a fine-ish nib marked 14C.

I am intrigued by the cap of the pen. And have the feeling that the cap and body are from different areas. Being no expert on this, I thought to draw upon the collective wisdom of the members of this forum.

Could someone help me to date the cap, body and nib? I would be most grateful to learn more about this fascinating pen.

Regards, Marrty

78137E59-1F1B-403D-8799-CA882B2FA858.jpeg

FBF7FAFB-13BF-4005-A18C-DAEF484661D3.jpeg

8751017C-9651-45E0-A67A-3743CC61654B.jpeg

6CB0BB49-AEB8-414B-B90F-F9AF33A10A16.jpeg

59732770-1DEA-47B1-ABC5-FAD183A1608B.jpeg

1BEA6868-886A-41CC-B432-5EBF8BA50ECC.jpeg

6A498F67-5F0F-4B8F-BC99-CAD2316701E9.jpeg

6CF25604-8940-4FA9-A1A5-68E01181F905.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Martty

• zaddick

• Dione

• AcLondon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe early 90's? Cap band with only Germany on there is after the wall came down but pre-serial numbers. Check out the dating 149 thread at the top of the forum. But it's fairly modern. That certainly looks like an EF nib

I guess the 'Dating Montblanc 149' charts is the place to look.  But, yeah, I'd say your instinct about the different eras is right. Brass threads and more modern barrel all suggest post- late 80s.  While the 14c nib is pre mid-80s.  Though the feed is later than that. You haven't shown a serial number on clip.  Does that mean there isn't one?  That could put your clip around the age of your nib, rather than the rest of the pen.  As Dione says, you could make an early 90s case for the whole thing except the nib. 

9 minutes ago, AcLondon said:

You haven't shown a serial number on clip.  Does that mean there isn't one?

Thank you both for your generous replies.

Indeed, there is no serial number on the clip!

Also, here is a close up of the EF nib... is it normal for the tip to turn upwards slightly? 

298E98DB-5D0A-4576-9F0D-3618AF05C640.jpeg

Ok, nib is from the mid 1970s to mid 1980s. The body is post 1985 and the feed isnpost 1995 as itis the gen 2 plastic feed. Most likely the pen was repaired and the parts other than the nib and clip were replaced as the clip looks about the same era as the nib. Would help to see the ball of the clip to be sure. 

Dating charts are not going to make life easier on a mixed parts pen. 😁

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks. That is more 1970s style so probably the same era as the nib. Likely a repair was done after the mis 1990s. MB replaces parts instead or repairing them.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

11 hours ago, Martty said:

Also, here is a close up of the EF nib... is it normal for the tip to turn upwards slightly? 

That's a normal nib shape.

Thank you Dione, Zaddick and ACLondon for your comments. 

What I have, then, is a MB 149 with the following interesting configuration:

- nib from mid 1970s to mid 1980s

- clip marked "Germany" (would suggest 1990+ but could also be somewhere between 1962-1980 as I read in another thread) but without serial numbers and with triangular clip-ball (would suggest 1970s)

- modern feed

- modern body

So perhaps nib and clip are from same era (1975-1980)?

In any case, the 14C nib (duo tone) is rather nice. It is a true extra fine, but with a hint of softness and line variation... I could post a writing sample if interesting...