Danitrio — still alive and kicking?

Turquoise88

Is Danitrio still in business?  I found a website at https://danitrio.com but the contact address is a gmail address, which seems kind of odd for a business and there is no info on where they are located or where to buy the pens. 

I’m also having trouble finding dealers who carry the pens.  I do see them popping up on the secondary market (e.g., ebay), but I’ve found only the following:

Any feedback on whether the brand is still producing and whether UrushiPens is a reputable company to buy from? Or other places that are authorized dealers?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• zaddick

• Maki-eMagic

• Turquoise88

I'd heard that they were transitioning sales over to the urushipen site, but the prices there are full RRP and I can see a pen I own there for nearly 30% more than I bought it for a year earlier. I saw a couple of boxes of them a year ago in Asia so they are still being made. I also find the pricing a bit inconsistent on their site, the entry price for a nice urushi pen with interesting shape is quite high (compared to say Nakaya who already aren't exactly cheap), but not much more gets a decent amount of maki-e work on them which I feel is much more reasonable. 

8 hours ago, Maki-eMagic said:

I'd heard that they were transitioning sales over to the urushipen site, but the prices there are full RRP and I can see a pen I own there for nearly 30% more than I bought it for a year earlier...I also find the pricing a bit inconsistent on their site, the entry price for a nice urushi pen with interesting shape is quite high (compared to say Nakaya who already aren't exactly cheap), but not much more gets a decent amount of maki-e work on them which I feel is much more reasonable. 

I wound up emailing the gmail contact at danitrio.com and they referred me to urushipen.com for online sales, so it sounds like that is their primary venue.  My feelings exactly on the pricing.  I like the shape of the hyotan, and would love one with an urushi finish, but the pricing exceeds even the much-in-demand Nakaya dorsal fin whose shape clearly shows off the tamenuri in a way that the hyotan does not.  Given the relatively small price increase for maki-e, it does make those pens feel much more reasonable!  

54 minutes ago, Turquoise88 said:

it does make those pens feel much more reasonable!  

That's it. Go ahead and talk yourself into it!

Add lightness and simplicate.

59 minutes ago, Turquoise88 said:

I wound up emailing the gmail contact at danitrio.com and they referred me to urushipen.com for online sales, so it sounds like that is their primary venue.  My feelings exactly on the pricing.  I like the shape of the hyotan, and would love one with an urushi finish, but the pricing exceeds even the much-in-demand Nakaya dorsal fin whose shape clearly shows off the tamenuri in a way that the hyotan does not.  Given the relatively small price increase for maki-e, it does make those pens feel much more reasonable!  

Yes! For saying how much of the time should be the maki-e versus the pen shape and the urushi, the price doesn't really make sense to me. A plain pen looks quite expensive for what it is (albeit usually Danitrio quality is very good), the maki-e pens seem more normal vs the competition but cheap by comparison against their own non maki-e pens! 

Also on urushi pens site they have 18k and 48k USD maki-e pens with only two photos to show them off. No idea why they want only 2 photos per pen, when I purchase a detailed maki-e pen I want to see every review and photo on the internet first if I can't get it into my hand before buying.

This has been discussed herein previously. It is a very odd business move no matter how you look at it. Personally, while I love my Danitrio pens it did force me down several other rabbit holes and I’m glad for it. Namiki, Platinum, Stylo Art, Taccia and others also make some compelling urushi and maki-e pens. 

8 hours ago, jandrese said:

This has been discussed herein previously. It is a very odd business move no matter how you look at it. Personally, while I love my Danitrio pens it did force me down several other rabbit holes and I’m glad for it. Namiki, Platinum, Stylo Art, Taccia and others also make some compelling urushi and maki-e pens. 

+1 for Stylo Art. Some of their maki-e pens are exquisite and reasonably priced for the work. 

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

6 hours ago, Doug C said:

At one time, nibs.com sold Dani Trios. Might check there.

No more, the only other source is in Europe, sakurafountainpengallery. Pensinasia may also have some but only urushipen has a large inventory. Strange business move.

I think with the number of Danitrio pens I am selling I am like the #2 dealer in the Americas. 😲🧐🥳

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Interestingly, nibs.com seems to have some Danitrios in stock again.. Zaddick, you have any you'd like to part with? I'm all ears :D