Conway Stewart Duro (modern) Review

collectorofmanythings

Once in a while, you come across a pen that just makes you gasp. A pen that seems to be made just for you. A pen which checks all of your boxes. This was the first pen that did all of that for me. Today I am going to review the Conway Stewart Duro in Marine Blue, made by Bespoke British Pens. Conway Stewart unfortunately went out of business in 2014, but Bespoke British Pens bought their materials and is using it all up to make all of the models that Conway Stewart used to make. This pen is a limited edition of 25, I have number 20. I am not sure if there are some models which are not limited, as some of them don’t say that they are a limited edition, so maybe some models are not limited and Bespoke British Pens will make those indefinitely, but many are limited. Anyway, let me talk more about this specific pen.

Design and Build Quality (10/10)

I think this pen is a good size for most people. When capped, it is about the same size as a VP. When uncapped it is about the same size as the Pilot Metropolitan is capped. When posted, it’s just huge. The grip is very thick and comfortable. It’s light, only 18 grams, great for long writing sessions, but it also feels very substantial. It is a cartridge/converter (standard international) but I personally see that as a benefit. It has a gorgeous blue speckled resin that seems to dance when turned in the light. The design seems very 1910s-1920s, it seems like something that would be on a desk in Mary Poppins! But it also doesn’t seem outdated either. It’s wonderful.

Nib and Writing Performance (10/10)

Well, this is the only review that I have posted so far that does not include a writing sample. This is because I am being lent this pen, with instructions not to fill it. I am definitely going to purchase it from the person who lent it to me, but around November-December as a Christmas present to myself, I can’t justify buying something with that price tag for no reason! But the wring performance is wonderful, I can assure you. It is just a JoWo #6 18k Gold nib, just like one you would find on an Edison. It is smooth with just a touch of feedback. 

Final Thoughts

This pen is just wonderful. It is gorgeous and functional. I couldn’t ask for anything more. I would highly recommend purchasing a pen from them, it is sure to be wonderful. They are still made completely in the U.K., but had very fast shipping to America. They are also made to order, so if you want a different trim or engraving, you can request that. The customer service is great too! I just really like this pen and this brand. I really, truly recommend buying a pen from them at conwaystewart.com . Also, watch Michael Jecks of “writerlywitterings” on YouTube’s reviews of other models and this one too! He is a great resource. And please, if you have any questions or feedback on the review, please tell me! Thank you.

Now here are the pictures:

B74DE978-BA11-4BA4-89B2-A930EDD24E7C.jpeg

9FAC73AA-3673-4CE1-9E8A-566C42129B11.jpeg

9FA1ED2D-8251-47DE-97F0-E64B465652CE.jpeg

D28A004F-F02B-4541-9196-6B41128A3CD6.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collectorofmanythings

• Frank C

• WhiteStarPens

• chromantic

Oops! I put this in the wrong section! Can the moderator please put this in the Fountain Pen Reviews section? Thanks!

W. H. Major

Thanks for the review and photos. I've been thinking about getting a Conway Stewart for a while now. How about a writing sample with your pretty new pen?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

On 5/23/2021 at 8:04 PM, Frank C said:

Thanks for the review and photos. I've been thinking about getting a Conway Stewart for a while now. How about a writing sample with your pretty new pen?

I explained in the review I was lent this pen with strict instructions not to put ink in it. But it just has a JoWo 18k gold nib. It is smooth but also has a good bit of feedback. I’ll post a writing sample of the same nib in a moment.. (credit to Goulet Nib Nook)

• 2 weeks later...

That blue acrylic resin is quite lovely.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:30 AM, chromantic said:

That blue acrylic resin is quite lovely.

Yes, it is. The camera doesn’t do it justice. Conway Stewart outdid themselves!

• 3 months later...

So, did you get round to purchasing one for your collection? I've just ordered a Dartmoor 60 special edition and can't wait to share it with the good chaps and chappettes of the FPN.

Do update us if you can!

W.S.P

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, WhiteStarPens said:

So, did you get round to purchasing one for your collection? I've just ordered a Dartmoor 60 special edition and can't wait to share it with the good chaps and chappettes of the FPN.

Do update us if you can!

I did! I couldn’t take it any more and got it recently. It is just fantastic! Easily my favorite pen in my collection.   Definitely will buy more Conway Stewarts in the future. The only issue is that I have a fine nib, which I thought I would prefer, and I still like very much, but I definitely would like to try a medium.