Moonman Q1 Mini

I've just stumbled across a new (or at least new to me) Moonman FP (that I of course would very much like to have...😫).

Moonman Q1 Mini

A small but very fat eyedropper reminiscent of the old japanese jumbo pens and/or the Tombow Zoom Egg.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Licue

• Rewpert

• I-am-not-really-here

Its an interesting choice to clone.

I'm really hoping that it'll be possible to remove the clip and that it'll be easy enough to swap it out for one that is more in line with the 1930s/40s Jumbos.

I'm hoping that its an interesting enough pen to get the attention of the usual youtube reviewers who cover new Chinese pens. 

It's frustrating. The only two nib size available are <EF> 0.38 mm and <F> 0.5 mm and the <F>, from my limited search, seems to be available only on the demonstrator.

15 hours ago, VillersCotterets said:

It's frustrating. The only two nib size available are <EF> 0.38 mm and <F> 0.5 mm and the <F>, from my limited search, seems to be available only on the demonstrator.

Not really surprising imo.

But there may be a semi-official third option: the design of the nib looks quite similar to that of the Moonman P135 which has a "Small bent" (0.58) option that's also available as a separate nib unit - maybe I could be screwed in directly into the Q1. It's a silver colored nib tho - but on the other hand the F nib of the Q1 seems to be silver too*... (😒🙄 - not that I prefer gold colored nibs, not at all, but I would like the nib color to match cap band and clip)

I'd probably choose the demonstrator anyway. 

The caps of the colored ones look very pretty, but their bodies seem quite dark, especially for the black and green, I'm not sure they are transparent enough for me - with eyedroppers I want to be able to see the ink. Also they are more expensive than the demonstrator. 

*Edit: or maybe not? On some pics the Q1's nibs look bi-color, on others just silver...

Beware of deceptive sellers on Ebay/Etsy/AliExpress. I ordered the green Q1 in F, the colour and nib size the most difficult (impossible?) to find. As soon as the vendor received the confirmation I made the paiement all the sought-after coloured Q1's, especially the green one, went missing. The seller pretended they "happened" to discover that all their entire inventory went mysteriously "defective" with the exception of the demonstrators in EF, the only model actually sold by trusty vendors. 

It's the old switcheroo scheme : advertise the not-available sought-after model then try to exchange it for a lesser model the buyers wouldn't order otherwise.

The same thing happened when the M100 first came out.

I should have been more careful. Several buyers left negative ratings because the vendor used this same tactic with other items.

Untitled.png

@VillersCotteretswell, considering I'm interested primarily in the transparent one (though rather in F than EF..) this would not be that much of a problem for me.

Still kinda scummy if it's used as a deliberate tactic.

Did the seller at least adjust the price/offer a partly refund? From what I've seen the transparent ones usually are listed at a lower price than the colored ones.

Also it would be helpful to know which seller this is - or is it against FPN's rules to show/tell the name?

7 minutes ago, Licue said:

@VillersCotteretswell, considering I'm interested primarily in the transparent one (though rather in F than EF..) this would not be that much of a problem for me.

Still kinda scummy if it's used as a deliberate tactic.

Did the seller at least adjust the price/offer a partly refund? From what I've seen the transparent ones usually are listed at a lower price than the colored ones.

Also it would be helpful to know which seller this is - or is it against FPN's rules to show/tell the name?

It is against the rules to name/shame sellers.  

1 minute ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

It is against the rules to name/shame sellers.  

Ok thanks, wasn't sure about that.

Do please post a review if/when you get your hands on one! I've been low-key obsessed with this unit ever since I first laid eyes on it about (um) a week ago. Only reason I haven't gotten it yet is because the green version doesn't seem to be available in the usual places, or if it is it's only with EF and not F nib.

4 hours ago, Licue said:

Did the seller at least adjust the price/offer a partly refund?

Not at first. After I made clear I wouldn't settle for anything else but the pen I ordered, they promptly cancelled the order and fully refunded me before I could leave a negative feedback or fill a formal complaint.

18 hours ago, VillersCotterets said:

Thank you for sharing this. That's awesome news. I was just trying to find out this exact information! I only found out about the pen over the past week but wanted to check on nib swap options before I make a purchase.

Mine arrived the other day. My thoughts after three days of ownership and having scrawled a thousand words or so:

Its a very nicely made little thing which I can hold very comfortably even on days when my hands are not cooperating. The nib it came with writes quite nicely. I purchased mine with an "EF" nib. Filled with Waterman's Green it writes pleasantly wet.

Only disappointments are that the finial is glued in place and cannot be unscrewed (which is a shame, as I had hoped to swap the novelty 'tounge' shaped clip for a more traditional type), and that the cap does not post as securely as I would have liked (although, it does still post okay.)

It is a good quality pen. I have no regrets having bought mine - although I would be much happier if I could swap the clip!

Update: With a bit more work I was able to remove the cap finial and clip. It was glued in place, but the usual combination of mild heating and suitable torsion was enough to open it up. However, the clip is quite unusual on account to how far it extends into the body of the cap before widening out into a washer. I don't think it will be possible to simply swap the clip out for a replacement as I had hoped, however, I might have a go at modifying a clip to fit.

'Rewpert.

Thanks,@Rewpert 🙂

The finial & clip not being removeable doesn't bother me much - or at all, tbh.

Which version did you get? Clear or one of the colored ones?

Edit: 

(Edit of the edit: I noticed your update too late 😉)

Hey @Rewpert, it seems the finial & clip ARE removable! 

20210601_135735.thumb.jpg.73fa338afa5aef51e64b76ee5a6cb1f3.jpg

The picture is a screenshot is from this review: 

Also info from the vid(s): Apparently the clear one ideed comes with a silver nib (whereas the brown/colored(?) one(s) have a two-tone nib)... Why oh why, Moonman??

I mean, on it's own I'd actually prefer a silver nib over a gold-colored one. But not in combination with a golf-colored clip and golf-colored cap band! On a demonstrator! Urghh 😖

• 5 months later...

My resolve lasted about 30 sec. Ordered a clear one.

Thanks Licue for the proof the clip can be removed. Might replace with an 'O' ring if needed to prevent any leakage.

As the nib is in a unit. Does the fit correspond to any European type? But you could substitute whatever variation of a Bock/Schmidt/Jowo nib you favour.

I ordered one with a EF nib.

• 2 weeks later...